We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

change money in uk or manila?

kent london
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
change money in uk or manila?

Hi for my spending money is it best i come prepared change money in uk, or change money in manila... before i go Boracay,?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: change money in uk or manila?

Manila and it is better for you to change it at Makati.

Manila airport gives poorer rates.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: change money in uk or manila?

The rate you will get in UK is pathetic so change your money in Philippines. If you change a small amount in the airport, that will keep you going until you find a money changer in Makati or Manila. You can change in Boracay also but personally l don't know if you get a good rate there but I am sure someone will tell you here.

Don't bring old dirty banknotes. You will find it practically impossible to change them.

Furthermore, you can only bring P10,000 in Philippine Currency and that will certainly be insufficient for your holiday

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298573-i3261-k608…

Mentioned in this post
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Boracay
Boracay
Panay Island, Philippines
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: change money in uk or manila?

Just an example.

When I came to the Phils in March it was 61.5. Back home in the UK it was around 54.

And you'll be pleased to know the rate is at it's highest for several years. Over 72 the last time I looked. Happy days.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: change money in uk or manila?

Its $10,000.00 not php10,000.00 :)

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: change money in uk or manila?

Please read the posted link. The question related to Philippine Pesos. You can only bring into or take out of the Philippines P10,000 in Pesos.

You can bring into and take out of the Philippines $US10,000 or the equivalent without declaring it. If it is not declared and if customs find it, they may confiscate it. There are forms in arrival and departure for this purpose.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 04:36
Mentioned in this post
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: change money in uk or manila?

work your way back through the threads for a few days as to here to change money or using debit cards or other ways of getting money but don't change in the UK . I dont find the airport rate too bad and you will need some cash on arrival but make sure they give you an assortment of 20/50/100 notes as your taxi driver from the airport wont have any change

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: change money in uk or manila?

Change a little in Manila (just enough to reach Boracay) - change the rest in Boracay. There are LOTS of money changers in Boracay al laroudn the place and UK pounds are easily accepted.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Boracay
Boracay
london
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: change money in uk or manila?

I can recommend and always use Edzen money changer down Mabini Street Ermita, never had problems and will be back in February, after touching down NAIA airport its my second place of call. Like FSRP stresses make sure they're quite pristine and another tip here in the UK quite a few £20's, £10's and fivers have blue or black biro normally figures etched on them as a jot, separate them to only use in the UK or maybe Europe but in SEA especially the Phils its an awful job to exchange them anywhere. To think it only seems a few years ago we had 100 pesos to the pound, those days are well gone!

Mentioned in this post
Mabini
Mabini
Luzon, Philippines
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: change money in uk or manila?

108 pesos to the pound and 5 SMB's per 100 pesos !! and now bananas are cheaper in Asda in the UK ( 50 pesos a kg) than Puerto Galera.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Galera
Puerto Galera
Mindoro, Philippines
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,628 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: change money in uk or manila?

change a small amount in the UK, so the loss is not so great, just in case bank is closed at airport or anything else else goes wrong. Better safe than sorry. Airport rate is near to Boracay rate for exchange. Boracay is about a peso off rates in Manila or MAKATI. The amount that you will lose to get yourself to your hotel is minor. How long will you be in MNL before you head to Boracay and where will you be staying in MNL all of which are variables for a better recommendation.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 14:43
Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines