We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

change money in uk or manila?

kent london
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
change money in uk or manila?

Hi for my spending money is it best i come prepared change money in uk, or change money in manila... before i go Boracay,?

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: change money in uk or manila?

Don't buy $US to bring here to change into Peso.

UK Sterling is just as acceptable as the dollar.

If you get dollars you pay two lots of commission for currency exchange. Pounds to dollars and dollars to Peso.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: change money in uk or manila?

ATMS ARE not fully reliable on Boracay, especially on holidays, weekend and with prolonged power outages. And, you may have long lines. If your not in a rush or need emergency money, go ATM, but plan ahead just in case the machines are down. We use ATM on Boracay often, but avoid them last minute.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: change money in uk or manila?

Dear readers, I did not suggest taking a taxi to an ATM was the preferred solution but was what you would need to do if you arrived at NAIA and all the moneychangers were closed or had ran out of pesos ! - i have arrived at NAIA 24 hours and usualy after midnight and it has never been a problem.

There is also an ATM in reception where I have been accosted by a young lady from the prepay taxi company wanting me to take a prepayed taxi to Ermita for around 400 pesos -the meter fare on the yellow airport taxi was about 170.

The yellow airport taxi controller gives you a receipt with the taxi number on it just in case you haver any complaint.

The driver will not run off with your luggage - there is no need to get totally paranoid just after arriving in a new country, this is the hypothetical solution to the ' well what if the money changers ...etc ' question. I agree dont change £ into $

watford,UK
Level Contributor
474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: change money in uk or manila?

Where can you change your £ to pesos here in UK?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: change money in uk or manila?

Banks, Post Office or at the airport. Shop around as rates do vary. I wouldn't recommend airports though.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: change money in uk or manila?

@ Sampag1ta

Don't discount anything when leaving personal belongings on transport even if it's only for a few minutes, and I'm speaking from experience.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: change money in uk or manila?

Hang a right or left (depending on which direction you are coming from) at Aria Restaurant on White Beach. Walk straight for about forty feet and you will see a gift shop on your right side, just after the restroom entrance. This place gave me the best rates. However, as someone mentioned, be sure to bring clean, crisp cash bills as this place rejected one of my bills for even the slightest tear in the middle fold. Someone might have already mentioned this too, but for lazy people that might not have read the forum including myself on this one, rates are much higher at Manila airport (from US dollars) so much better to exchange a little at the airport then more somewhere on the island. Hope this helps.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 17:40
28. Re: change money in uk or manila?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 07:05
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: change money in uk or manila?

Not only will it be costly to lose it, you may well be charged with currency smuggling for which you could serve a prison term, then deportation and blacklisting so you cannot return to the Philippines.

They have laws and you should respect them or stay away. And just for the record, a friend of mine is a Customs Officer and he often looks at TA so he may have spotted you already!

Edited: 15 December 2013, 05:28
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: change money in uk or manila?

sand, its illegal what you suggest and its not advisable as FSPRP said