We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donation

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
Donation

Hi All.

I have collected some donations in advance of my trip to the Phillippines. We are spending all of our time on Boracay. Is there a worthy local charity in Boracay I could donate the money to or would I have to travel to a different Island. I am keen to donate it locally if I can.

Thanks for any replies.

Rob

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donation

be careful with this, do not respond to private messages. Even the most worthy of charities on Boracay seem to give little of what is donated to the people who need it. If you really want to do that, give it to the Catholic church for their Christmas activities. The most needy on the island are the indigenous ati people, but you can not give the cash to them directly, it will be a mistake. The HOVV project in Boracay is in partnership with the Boracay Ati Multi-purpose Cooperative Community (BAMPC). Run by the Daughters of Charity. This is the way to go, but only with a Boracay representative directly, NOT thru the Manila office or it may not get to Boracay. .

Edited: 11 December 2013, 12:18
Luzon, Philippines
Level Contributor
51 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donation

Try the Red Cross...

May God bless your trip robert!

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donation

Thank you, Robert.

Appreciate what you are doing to the Philippines.

If looking for donations, please check Bumi Sehat's website. They are doing great work in Tacloban right now, among other places. Founder Robin Lim is the CNN Woman of the Year.

Organizations that pay their CEO's hundreds of thousands of dollars, I am very suspicious about. May it be big, established organizations. Meaning your donations only a percentage goes to the people who need it too cause the others go to their overhead. Red Cross would only allocate a certain percentage to the country and the rest would be put in a pool as well.

Check Bumi Sehat. Your donations go 100 percent to the people that it is meant for.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Donation

Red Cross is not the best way to go, they have admin costs here (and other places) and less of your donation will actually get to those who need it. If you want to donate in MNL, I can give you name of a need orphanage.By the way, taking your donation and buying rice and other needs, will go much further than just handing over cash.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 14:46
5. Re: Donation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:17