We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Beach green algae updates?

Japan
Level Contributor
22 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
White Beach green algae updates?

Hi, I will be arriving with my group of Japanese Boracay first-timers next week, and they have become internet addicted to watching the live streaming of the beach by a hotel in Station 2 . Lately, I have noticed a murky-ish color along the water. I am worried that the infamous Green Algae has made a very early appearance this year. Since there is no decent Zoom option to be able to look at it closely, I was wondering if someone would tell me if my suspicions are correct. I would like my guests to have the best first impression of Boracay waters, and their kids swimming in green mush might not go very well. I would like to be able to at least warn them beforehand.

Thanks!

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: White Beach green algae updates?

Just wondering how long will the green season last?

Edited: 06 January 2014, 08:52
10 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: White Beach green algae updates?

What is the best hotel to book that has minimal algae? Is it bad enough to go to a different beach?

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: White Beach green algae updates?

I'm in Boracay now. I arrived yesterday. No green algae at all. It rained for 2 hours yesterday and there are clouds in the sky...but White beach is perfect.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
605 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: White Beach green algae updates?

14th Feb 2014: No algae at White Beach. There was a small 10sq meter spot in the sand but not the "bloom" that was reported. However Bulabog beach is covered with green seaweed, not algae, but people go there to Kite surf anyway, not to swim.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: White Beach green algae updates?

Any sign of algae now? I hope it would not flood the entire 5 days i have in Boracay during early May.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
605 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: White Beach green algae updates?

For all you worried about green algae at White Beach, use google to search "webcam boracay" and you'll be able to see live video transmission of that stretch of beach in front of Red Coconut and confirm for yourself whether there is algae in the sea. Remember that the winds shift around May from North East to South West in keeping with the regular monsoons of South East Asia !

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
68 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: White Beach green algae updates?

Just got back. Water clear, beach clear, no (or minimal) algae.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
605 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: White Beach green algae updates?

Just like what White beach is - cleaned daily, large pebbles picked off, powdery sand, cool waters, high security everywhere, ease of access to cafes and restaurants. Hopefully algae stays away during the switch in monsoons in May / June.

Parma, Italy
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: White Beach green algae updates?

That green algae mean water polution, and now are everywhere in the beach.....disgusting

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,484 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: White Beach green algae updates?

Last week not much or hardly any, this week very little in station 3, has it, more in station 2, but not bad, Its sporadic but NOT everywhere as the previous poster incorrectly claimed. Its okay overall..