We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boracay visit - Australian traveller needing some advice

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Boracay visit - Australian traveller needing some advice

I want to go on a holiday over the break in April from say the 18th to the 26th. I have read a bit about Holy Week and i think it is the week before? Is from the 18th to the 26th going to be that busy that it will drive me nuts and make the trip not worth while? I dont get the opportunity for holidays to often so i really cant afford to waste them. Also the other questions i had that may assist me are below. Can anyone help?

1) How expensive is Boracay do aussies find it cheap or expensive? What does a beer cost for example

2) Any recomendations on a hotel for a young couple without kids looking to hit the watersports hard in the day and relax in the evenings?

3) How long do i need to make Boracay a worth while trip? I can only get from the 18th to the 26th off in April I need to be back at work on the 28th is this enough time including travel to Boracay Island?

Any advice is appreicated

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
Panay Island, Philippines
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,764 posts
2,125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boracay visit - Australian traveller needing some advice

Cant answer the holy week question as Ive never been in the Philippines at this time.

Re #1 Reasonable prices for an Aussie in Boracay. Beer about A$1.

Re #2 What is your budget?

Stay beachfront. Station 1 upmarket-best beaches. Station 2 busy/party area and near DMall. Station 3 budget accomodation and quiet.

Re #3 1 week is a good amount of time to spend in Boracay. Its only a 1 hr flight from Manila to Caticlan Airport and 15mins by boat across to Boracay.

Tommo

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
D'Mall
D'Mall
351 Reviews
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boracay visit - Australian traveller needing some advice

April 18th is Good Friday so you shouldn't have problems traveling.There may be fewer than usual tricycles and bankas in Caticlan so you may have to wait a little longer than usual.

All foreigners find Boracay affordable although more expensive than other parts of the Philippines.

8 days may whet you appetite for a longer stay next time.

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
canberra
Level Contributor
328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boracay visit - Australian traveller needing some advice

If you are going over Easter, ie Holy Week, then you will need to book and pay in advance for popular resorts. I wouldn't wait any longer or you will miss out. It will be crowded at this time.

4. Re: Boracay visit - Australian traveller needing some advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 10:05
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boracay visit - Australian traveller needing some advice

@ The Big CM

1) Holy week = April 17, 2014 – Maundy Thursday (Regular Holiday)

April 18, 2014 – Good Friday (Regular Holiday)

April 19, 2014 – Black Saturday (Special non-working day)

20 = sunday

See - the Phil govt gazette here - gov.ph/2013/…

2) Yes - During this time, buses, boats and tourist spots are CROWDED with people!

So yes - form 18 to 20, it will be crowded, thence back to normal. So if you DO wish to travel on 18th, ensure you have made al lyour bookigns, and be prepared for crowds in Boracay (or better - choose another beach palce ... we have 7107 islands, you know : )and many many beautiful beaches)

As for your other questions ...

1) Boracay is reasonably priced - a beer will cost between 60 (1.5 AUD) to 90 (2.2 AUD) pesos. It is cheaper than some other tourist spots in Phils.

2) Any hotel / resort along station 1 or 2 or 3 - 3 being more peaceful. Distances are very short and easily walkable.

(note : nearly every hotel calls itself a resort here. he he!)

Relaxing in the evening? ... white beach is open for everyone to sit on :) - But DO expect lots of crowds on the beach during the first few days. Also, it is worth spending the extra money and directly fly into Caticlan - that way, you don't have to wait for a bus at Kalibo and tackle the crowds. If you book now, you may not spend much extra.

3) Yes - 18 to 26 is sufficient time. Take a flight Manila to Caticlan. Boracay is a really small island. You just may get some peace after holy week (If I were you, I may have chosen Malapascua instead for holy week - more peaceful, equally beautiful beach. lesser tourists. Lots of Filipinos will visit Boracay and El Nido during holy week - very few will visit Malapascua!)

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
Kalibo
Kalibo
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Malapascua Island
Malapascua Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
El Nido
El Nido
Palawan Island, Philippines
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boracay visit - Australian traveller needing some advice

1. Whether is it cheap or expensive will depends on your mentality. For example, some may find P1500 a night room expensive and some find a P10,000 room reasonable. So it depends what value you see in it.

2. What's your budget? As a general rule, Station 1 are the most expensive. Station 2 is the party place and Station 3 is the more quiet one. Note that these are general characteristic of each Station only.

3. Your travel period is fine. Just remember to get to Manila one day before your international flight.

I would suggest you book your room in advance as it is the peak season.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boracay visit - Australian traveller needing some advice

Holy Week means more people, but more fun events on and off the beach as well. Enjoy your Boracay stay!

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boracay visit - Australian traveller needing some advice

do aussies find it cheap or expensive?

-----------------------------------------------------

When I arrived at Boracay years ago, A Filipina asked a local...Where are the cheap places to eat.

His reply...There are no cheap places, this is Boracay.

By Philippines standards, you will find it expensive. By Australian standards, you will find it cheap.

If you want to tour around and see the sights, you will waste your time on Boracay as you can see the whole thing, from land and sea, within about 2 hours.

If you just want a holiday where you will party at night and relax in the day time, you have chosen the right place.

If you want a cheap beach holiday in the Philippines with lots of things to see and do, and easy to get to, I have suggestions for you, if you are interested.

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,488 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boracay visit - Australian traveller needing some advice

If you have been to Bali you will find Boracay to be relatively the same in terms of prices although I find hotel rates in Boracay to be just a little expensive than Bali.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Boracay
Boracay
10. Re: Boracay visit - Australian traveller needing some advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:21