We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boracay or Similans+Kata

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Boracay or Similans+Kata

I'm planning a side trip from Saigon for scuba and rest and relaxation late April/early May.

Deciding between Boracay or Similans (+Kuta).

Anyone been to both and can advise?

Thanks

london
Level Contributor
976 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boracay or Similans+Kata

Hi there

I have dived the Philippines and Thailand , the Philippines is far better. The Similan National Park closes sometime around early May, in theory to allow the reefs to rest. The best way to dive the Similans is by liveaboard , they would be two to three hours each way from Phuket.

I haven't been to Boracay , but as a diver the only people I met said it was extremely touristy. I am sure that others may disagree , but this is what I was told. The best diving destination in the Philippines in my personal opinion is Malapascua , followed by Dumaguete , followed by Maolboal , followed by Alona Beach on Bohol.

Alot depends on your budget , how important diving is to you, what you want to do in your down time. Malapascua is fabulous and is getting over the super typhoon of last November , visiting would really help the local people.

Hope this helps a bit

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boracay or Similans+Kata

Thank you.

Just checked, Similans Park closes May 15. I'd go before that.

If I go to Similans, I'd do maybe 4/5 days on liveaboard followed by 2/3 at Kuta lounging around.

The alternative is about 5/6 days in Boracay.

Edited: 05 April 2014, 14:44
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boracay or Similans+Kata

Boracay does not have the best diving, but where it fails on diving, the island makes up for it, especially if any non divers are in tow with you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boracay or Similans+Kata

Thank you. No non-divers in tow. I'm traveling solo.

london
Level Contributor
976 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boracay or Similans+Kata

If you are travelling solo then I am sure that you would love a liveaboard. There seem to have been amazing spots this year in the Similans , whalesharks , mantas .......if you have a few days afterwards Ko Phi Phi or Khao Lak might be better choices. The dive resorts in the Philippines are really sociable , I did part of our last trip by myself as my husband had to go back for work . I met some great people and always had heaps of company.

Have a great time

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boracay or Similans+Kata

Thank you all.

Just realized my typo (I mentioned both Kuta and Kata in original post; I meant Kata throughout; I'll either be going to Philippines or Thailand; not Indonesia).

I am looking for the combination of good/great diving for a few days, then when I step off the boat, I can enjoy good/great resort/nightlife scene.

Both Similans and Boracay are said to be in the top 20 dives destinations depending on who you ask (though Similans with Richelieu Rock seems to come out on top).

As for beach/nightlife, I think the scale could be tipped in Boracay's favor (after-all it's twice been named Best Beach in the World) over Kata (and surrounds).

Having never been to either, I wanted some advice.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boracay or Similans+Kata

Boracay has fairly average diving. It's eclipsed by other areas such as Malapascua, Moalboal, Coron, apo and so on.

If you're going specifically for diving then I'd skip Boracay. It doesn't offer much in this area.

8. Re: Boracay or Similans+Kata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 05:15