We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our trip report

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
228 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Our trip report

My husband and I travelled to the Philippines in April and we just wanted to share our views and observations.

Firstly a massive thank you to all the people who provided advice in the initial stages of planning.

We flew into Kalibo and stayed at the ati atihan hostel overnight, which was perfect for a stopover. We departed early in the morning and the trike took us to the departure point for Jbud tours. We had to wait five minutes for the van to fill and were in our way. The trip took maybe 1.5hrs. It cost 100php from kalibo to caticlan jetty.

We paid 200php in fees at the jetty and caught the ferry. There were several security guards around to help direct us to the right windows to purchase our tickets. We made sure we purchased all three tix (banka, environmental fee, terminal fee). Bangkas depart all the time, no need to worry about schedules.

We stayed at frendz resort, which I think was 100-150php. We loved our stay at frendz and thought it was a great place to base ourselves for our stay.

Most days we spent on the beach, the water was incredible, the most brilliant blue hues. There was a little bit of algae, but nothing to stop you from enjoying your holiday. We hired a bangka and travelled around the island. We did visit puka beach and do some snorkelling. We felt incredibly safe and relaxed on this trip.

Some observations:

We met some of the most friendliest people in the Philippines. Everybody was willing to help.

The food was delicious.

You cannot have enough coconut and mango shakes, I have had massive withdrawals

The beach really is stunning

It is one of the cleanest countries we have visited. Several times we would see clean-up crews removing all the debris.

Spa treatments are ridiculously cheap, we were having 1-2 hr treatments daily for $3-6au

Awesome atmosphere at night from fire dancers to djs, always something to watch

We have travelled quite a few SE Asian countries and we would return to the Philippines in a heartbeat. For us, it really was the people. Sure they try and sell you stuff, but when you say no, they leave you alone, unlike some of our experiences in Thailand.

We would recommend the Philippines as a great family destination or a romantic getaway for couples. Living in Australia, I would encourage people to overlook Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia etc and head here! We cannot wait to return.

31. Re: Our trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 02:05
Edited: 17 June 2014, 02:05
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,196 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Our trip report

wow, what did i miss..

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,380 posts
1,558 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Our trip report

Just another happy customer ;-))))

34. Re: Our trip report

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 04:35
35. Re: Our trip report

Edited: 17 June 2014, 04:35
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,196 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Our trip report

MsPikachu, you soon will be blocked from posting unless you stop personal attacks. This is guaranteed.

37. Re: Our trip report

38. Re: Our trip report

Edited: 17 June 2014, 04:35
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Our trip report

ive been robbed at gunpoint in beverly hills in broad daylight but i dont let that color my impression of it..ive been to boracay twice in the last 1 1/2 years and stayed at 3 hotels..i once left thousands in USD in my room and found it all intact. furthermore, a Boracay hotel provided me a room before dawn although the front desk staff was still out and rather than have us wait , they accomodated us with a room...no place is perfect but im all smiles about Boracay

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
206 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Our trip report

Good evening or morning everyone,

Here are the pros of boracay:

1. Shangrila (beautiful resort, excellent service), truly the best hotel!

2. Beautiful sunsets, pink when I was there

3. Nice ocean, very private at shangrila

4. Lively nightlife

I would love to visit again someday :)

Edited: 18 June 2014, 02:56