We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wet Market haggling

New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Wet Market haggling

From what I understand, you buy your food from the wet market and have one of the stalls cook it for you and they mostly cook pretty similar.

Now, the "fun" part is the haggling of the price. What is a good % off to shoot for? We don't want to insult them, but, we also want to get a fair price.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,490 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wet Market haggling

you don't haggle over food, you are not in India. You can haggle over tourist tack but not taxis or tricycles, if meter use a meter if not find out the correct fare first and pay that. The Philippines isn't a big haggling country but trying to overcharge foreigners is so find out the correct price and buy from someone who sells for that

New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wet Market haggling

Well, that's not what exactly the reviews have said. Literally every other review have said to haggle or bargain.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,358 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wet Market haggling

I agree, we have to haggle for prices in almost every market in the Philippines. We love wet markets and buying things there means argue the prices. Its hare to put a percent on it as who knows how much they over charged you if at all. I would ask the price of few places. Many places the prices are already marked, but you can still ask for lower. Be aware of the scale, as the more you haggle the heavier the fish will be on the scale :-)

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wet Market haggling

Sampag1ta,

I think you have misunderstood the OP.

The OP is talking about haggling at a wet market and not overall in PH.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,490 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wet Market haggling

you learn something new every day

so what is the target price for tuna, tilapia,tanigue,black fish etc or for foreigners is it one and a half times the correct price haggled down from double like tricycles

Edited: 07 August 2014, 20:10
Pomeroy, Washington
Level Contributor
423 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wet Market haggling

To get the best prices, have a Filipino do the haggling. Since I'm married to a Filipina, I have my wife do it. As soon as my pale white face (and implied fat wallet) shows up on the scene, prices seem to double!

Pomeroy, Washington
Level Contributor
423 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wet Market haggling

@sam...For tricycles, pedicabs, and small buses, I'll ask the locals for the price before I approach the driver. Most people will gladly give you an honest answer. Works good to get a price in a place you have never been to before. Food items like meat and fish are usually set the same for everyone unless you are talking to the farmer or fisherman. Again, ask a local before you approach.

If the seller is obviously living hand-to-mouth, I can't take haggling very seriously. I've even haggled someone down, then paid the original price. Just to let them know I could do it. Brings a big smile to a strained face.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,243 posts
1,651 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wet Market haggling

@whip5209 ........its called skin tax ;-)

I do all the bargaining in my family as my wife (also a Filipina) feels embarrassed to do so.

Tommo

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wet Market haggling

Yes skin tax. We all suffer fr it in one way or the other. 😮

Good tip about asking the locals so you have an idea of what the prices are worth. I do that too since I have no idea about prices at all. Every locality has a different price range. And haggling in wet markets are always encouraged but sometimes it is not about the prices. Sometimes it comes in "can you add a bit more" too. My mother does it for sport and that makes me cringe. Do what's comfortable for you.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,243 posts
1,651 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wet Market haggling

...or is it long nose tax? Not sure which :))))

Tommo