We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

D'Talipapa and the talipapa

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
D'Talipapa and the talipapa

Been a regular visitor to Boracay since 1991, but after late 2003, it took me another 3 years to visit again in August '06, and since I have more free time, am going again in a few days.

One thing that confused me during my last trip was searching for the talipapa for souvenirs, since that was a place where we always bought souvenirs before. I heard the news I think a year ago when fire struck the talipapa. Prior to my trip last August, I remember there was the talipapa and portion of D'Mall and ongoing constructions. Then last August, according to a tricycle driver, there's D'Mall, D'Talipapa, and a talipapa. He can't describe to me the difference between D'Talipapa and the "talipapa" which I think was in station 3. D'Talipapa according to him was between D'Mall and the talipapa, but what they sell in both places, he can't say. Ended up shopping in D'Mall since we planned to go at night and didn't want to wander around anywhere that seemed unclear even to a tricycle driver.

Will be going again in a few days with friends who will be visiting the island for the first time. Ad for sure they'd like to get souvenirs. Would like to take them to D'Mall to sample some restos, and hopefuly to a talipapa but which talipapa?! Or should we scrap the talipapa experience all together?

ryd
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: D'Talipapa and the talipapa

the talipapa i went to last Jan was towards station 3 and I had to pass an alley and there they were at the very end.

i remember there was a bike rental shop to the right of the alley's entrance and you wont miss it since i remember there was a sign where the talipapa is.

the place had lots of "dry goods" like clothing and necklaces. I was a bit surprised when trying on a pair of shorts since they dont have a dressing room, and the lady just speads a sarong over you for your privacy.

i haven't been to the wetmarket (which they said was used to be part of the talipapa) and i dont even know where it is.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: D'Talipapa and the talipapa

Sadly the original talipapa which used to stretch between the beach and the main road was razed to the ground in a fire. As the stallholders were not permitted to set up again in the same area, it has since been reconstucted somewhat haphazardly in 2 locations near station 3.

"D' Talipapa" (near the hospital, off the main road) is a new set-up owned, I believe, by "D' Mall". It also has a wet market and souvenir shops.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: D'Talipapa and the talipapa

In terms of merchandise, do they basically sell the same stuff? Or is it safe to assume that "D'Talipapa" is designed (and still priced) more for visitors while the other talipapa is more for the residents?

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: D'Talipapa and the talipapa

Both have a wetmarket and souvenir shops though D'Talipapa is more touristy. The old one is usually cheaper.

Philippines
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: D'Talipapa and the talipapa

You can get into d talipapa down the pathway next to Charls Bar.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: D'Talipapa and the talipapa

Thanks all! Already came back from Boracay a few hours ago and was able to drop by both. I really miss the feel of the old one.

:( Though had I not seen that one years ago, I'd be impressed with d' talipapa if I were a first timer.

7. Re: D'Talipapa and the talipapa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 05:24