We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cebu in safety

aussie
1 post
Save Topic
cebu in safety

hello,

i am here to ask about Cebu,i am from australia and i need to go to Cebu to marry my beautful girlfriend.

like most people this is my first time there and of course there is lots of warning's from the australian goverment about traveling there.

i am unsure about the safety in Cebu,my girl friend keeps telling me that it is ok.

my friends keep on telling me that i am mad if i go because i will stand out in the crowd.i have blonde hair and blue eye's.i know it sounds silly but please can someone please put my mind at rest because if i don't go my girlfriend will be so upset.

thanks

Kerry

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cebu in safety

Hi Kerry,

Cebu is safe, a lot safer even than Manila. While you will stand out because you aren't Asian, there are LOTS of caucasians visiting and living in Cebu. They've even got their own rugby team! To be sure, stay in a reputable hotel in the center of things -- maybe the Marriot which is located near the Ayala Center (shopping mall), this way you won't need to travel far to get to restaurants or shops. Cheers!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cebu in safety

Hello Kerry

Yes they do have a Rugby Club, as Vanilla Bean said. I just looked on my account list and found I am still hosting their website, for free:

http://www.ceburugby.com

If you want an Australian viewpoint of Living in and travelling to Cebu City and other parts of the Philippines, you can write to me directly at:

sibbick61@yahoo.com.au

Bad things happen everywhere in the world and Cebu is no exception. However, relatively speaking, Cebu is a safe place to visit.

In case all your doom and gloom friends missed the announcement, about 2 years ago, the Australian Ambassador declared Cebu a safe place to visit.

I hope this helps!

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Northam, Western...
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cebu in safety

I went to Davao City in March to visit my fiancee. The travel advisory for Mindanao is "Do not travel". I carefully considered my safety and followed all the recommendations about leaving copies of my passport and hotel details with family at home. I also registered my trip on the DFAT website. Because of the warnings I don't think my mum slept for worry the entire time I was away.

In Davao I kept in contact with family back home through emails and text messages to let them know where I was. I also took note of the places my fiancees family and friends told me to avoid.

In the end I didn't have a moments cause for concern about my safety. If you are with your fiancee and her friends you will not be bothered. You will be looked at because of your appearance but the locals will mean you no harm.

Still be careful and keep in contact with the folks back home.

oregon
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cebu in safety

No worries, mate! Have a great time and enjoy the Philippines.......My husband and I traveled to Cebu city in march 07 with our 12 year old daughter from the United States. When I was preparing for out trip, I too was unsure about our saftey and of what we would encounter, but once we arrived all worries went out the door. At no time did I fear for anything. You will definitly stand out in the crowd but I found that Filipinos are the most friendly helpful people I have met thus far and your girlfriend will have your best interest at heart and look out for you so that you don't get ripped off in the money department, which can happen quite easily if you don't understand the exchange. I agree with Big Jim, bad things can happen wherever you go. Just be safe as you would in any other place you've never been. Almost everyone speeks english so there is no problem . I LOVE the philippines and would jump at the chance to move there, in my opinion it is heaven on earth. Enjoy your visit!

5. Re: cebu in safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 10:27