We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go from Cebu Airport

Stockholm
Level Contributor
172 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go from Cebu Airport

So I have finally booked a flight from HK to Cebu beginning Dec. The plan was to go to Alona on Panglao (I've tried but failed to get in touch with Alona Tropical), but I've started to wonder if there is a good option on Cebu. So now I'm looking for tips for a couple with child age 6, for 9 days. We are looking for a nice and comfartable bungalow style resort with swimming pool and a/c, nice beach preferably with snorkeling possibilities, easily accessible diving for a few dives, nature sights for excursions nearby so we won't get bored just lying on the beach. We were on Bohol (Cabilao and Panglao) and Cebu (Moalboal) around 8 years ago. Our prime interest then was diving, now it's more diverse. No heavy nightlife close by, but we do want to meet other people and enjoy good food and drinks. Should we go to Bohol or are there good options elsewhere? Any tip will be very appreciated.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go from Cebu Airport

Hello Tjongo

In my opinion, all that is not to be found in one place in Cebu but it is all available on Panglao Island and mainland Bohol

Regards Jim

Roseville...
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go from Cebu Airport

I think Bohol is a better option. Did you try Bohol Beach Club? I have stayed there twice(2005 and 2006) and liked it. I chose a bungalow by the poolside, a little more money but worth it. It had a queen bed and a twin bed in the room. They also have a new wing but I still prefer the old wing as it is closer to the clubhouse. Go to Asiatravel.com and click on Philippines, then Bohol and you might see also Alona since you are partial to them having stayed there before.. I also use the Asiatravel agent in Cebu Mactan Waterfront Hotel(just across the Cebu airport ) for bookings and ask questions as she is most helpful. Her name is Claire and her e-mail is claire@asiatravel.com. The only thing with Asiatravel is that once you made your booking, you cannot get your money back if you change your mind or plans easily, so you must be definite about it. Go on www.oceanjet.net for prices and Schedules of the ferry crossing to Bohol from Cebu. You can take a taxi to the pier from the airport. The taxi fare should cost around P100 or so. Check also with Oceanjet what pier number they are located in(phone#32-255-7560) just in case your cabdriver says he doesn't know. Bon Voyage!

Nenette

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go from Cebu Airport

OceanJet is pier 1

Regards: Jim

Stockholm
Level Contributor
172 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go from Cebu Airport

Thanks for your input. I have been considering the option to split the 9 days between Malapascua (3-4 days) and Alona (5-6), although it would involve substantial transport time. But we'll be landing at Cebu very early in the morning (03.10) from HK so we could sleep in the taxi to Maya. And also leave for Bohol early in the morning. With our own transport arranged bu the resort, how long would the travelling time be? Recommendations for resorts? From what I've read, Exotic or Cocobana loo nice. Any suggestions?

Regarding Alona, I've failed to get response to my e-mails to Alona Tropical, so I'll make a last try using the old fax machine before I contact one of the other resorts... I really would like that part of the beach which every posting say is the best, and the resort a´s such seems to suit us.

Regards,

Susanne

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go from Cebu Airport

Hello Tjongo

My favourite places on Malapascua are no more, so I can't suggest a place from personal experience. However, here is a website with some helpful info on accommodation:

malapascua.de/Logon11__Lodging/logon11__lodg…

How long the trip takes from Cebu City to Maya will depend on the driver. I took a trip in a taxi once and it took 4 hours, which was longer than some of the bus trips which took 31/2 to 4 hours. That is because the taxi driver was driving at the speed limit while the bus drivers are well known for terrorising everyone else on the road.

If you want to arrange a taxi in advance, here is my recommendation for a driver:

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/blog/?p=41

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go from Cebu Airport

Hello Tjongo

Since you are having trouble, I have a suggestion.

It is not a beach resort but it is by the sea and has 3 swimming pools (one with water slide), a childrens play area and a tennis/basketball court. You and your 6 year old will be very happy there.

It is the Bohol Tropics in Tagbilaran.

http://www.boholtropics.com/

One of it' s big plusses is that it is close to civilisation. IE close to banks, supernarkets and medical facilities. If you want to spend a day at the beach, you can still catch a taxi to Alona beach.

You can read more about Bohol and the Bohol tropics here:

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/blog/?p=26

Regards; Jim

Stockholm
Level Contributor
172 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go from Cebu Airport

Thanks Big Jim for your help. I have started to wonder if maybe we should only stay on Malapascua and skip Alona. Just stay in Cebu City for a couple of days before returning to HK and take a day trip from there to Chocolate hills. We'll get the beach and the diving on M and need to relax and don't want to spend too much time in transfer.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
172 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go from Cebu Airport

Thanks again Big Jim. I think I have finally decided to stay the bulk (of the nine days in the area) on Malapascua, go to Bohol and follow your recommendation to stay at Bohol Tropics (should I consider anything in particular when choosing type of room?), do the excursions from there, and finally stay just for the day at a beach resort on Mactan before catching the flight at 9.15 pm to HK. Then I won't have to worry about the ferry being cancelled and risk missing my flight.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go from Cebu Airport

Thanks again Big Jim. I think I have finally decided to stay the bulk (of the nine days in the area) on Malapascua, go to Bohol and follow your recommendation to stay at Bohol Tropics (should I consider anything in particular when choosing type of room?), do the excursions from there, and finally stay just for the day at a beach resort on Mactan before catching the flight at 9.15 pm to HK. Then I won't have to worry about the ferry being cancelled and risk missing my flight.

Hello Susanne

Yes, at the Bohol tropics, arrange a room with a sea view such as a Deluxe Horizon suite. Make sure you let them know what size bed you would prefer.

New York
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go from Cebu Airport

On Panglao, Alona Kew Resort is also a solid option on Panglao. It has a restaurant that offers a complete menu.

Here's their website: http://www.alonakew.com/

There are definitely a few nice excursions that can be easily arranged for you: historical sites, hiking, Chocolate Hills, river cruise, a stop to see some tarsiers, etc.

Regards,

GeoVan