We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abaca or Pulchra

Asia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Abaca or Pulchra

Hello,

Advice needed from those in the know please!! I am going to visit Cebu for 3 nights and I have narrowed my accomodation selection to Abaca (Mactan Island) and Pulchra. They are similarly priced and seemingly quite similar in style (Pulchra slightly bigger I guess).

My main question is given they are similar price would anyone with experience of them recommend one over the other and why?

Although I'm only going to be there for 3 nights, I will be doing a bit of daytime island hopping so access that activity is also important.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,174 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abaca or Pulchra

Never stayed at either resort but I would like clarification on your island hopping.

If you plan to rent a boat and visit the nearby islands, Mactan is a good place for that. Otherwise, the boats for places like Bohol, Siquijor, Leyte etc depart from one of the piers in Cebu City. In normal traffic, it will be about 40 minutes from your resort but can be up to 2 hours away in peak afternoon traffic.

By the way, the best resort on Mactan Island in my opinion is Shangrila. If you are going to pay the prices these others are charging, you might as well check out Shangri La too.

Regards: Jim

Lapu Lapu...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Abaca or Pulchra

I agree with Jim, if you dont mind paying the price, shangri la, imperial palace are the best on Mactan Island. White Sands is good also.

If your budget is smaller, lot of great less expensive places here on Mactan Island. Plus if you want island hoping, this is the place for it.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abaca or Pulchra

I stayed at the Abaca last year. Don't know much about Pulchra. Personally, I preferred Abaca to the Shangri-la, but it depends on your taste. Abaca is a boutique hotel. The service is personalized and the food is very good, but naturally, it lacks the sheer volume of activities that a resort like Shangri-la can offer. For example, the Shangri-la has several restaurants as well as a good sized, private beach. Abaca has a bit of a seafront, which can hardly count as a beach. Nevertheless, the pool is fantastic and because the hotel is so small, the pool was empty except for us most of the time. The hotel staff can also organize tours for guests, including rides to the city and boat trips to the nearby islands.

4. Re: Abaca or Pulchra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 05:16