We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget beach christmas for 6 - where to go?

Oslo
Level Contributor
112 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Budget beach christmas for 6 - where to go?

Hello!

Me and my wife was hoping to be able to make it to Philippines for christmas. Her familly live in Mindanao, and as I dont feel comfortable with the safty there I have an idea of my own - bringing them to some other place to spend the christmas. With ferry and bus the trip wont be that expencive for me if I pick Cebu, Bohol or something. (I would have to pay for this if I want to make this work). Plane tickets for all to Boracay for them all is not in my budget.

If anyone have a suggestion for a fitting vacation spot I would apreciate it. Not too high price and not too far from the water.

If there exist ferrys for a decent price from Osamis (or similar port in Mindanao) to Boracay I would be geatly thankful for information about that!

Hoping for a (not so) white christmas! :)

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget beach christmas for 6 - where to go?

hi dan ,i have been going to mindanao for 7 yrs now -never any problem with safety ,last month was in ozamis ,-u can get ferry from cdo to bohol or camiguin island -also could travel to davao by land -then ferry to samal island ,dont think there are direct ferry from mindanao to boracay ,probably have to go cdo-cebu -iloilo and then bus to caticaln -hopefully the sand will be white.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget beach christmas for 6 - where to go?

another option would be siquijor island -there are some ferries from north mindanao

Oslo
Level Contributor
112 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget beach christmas for 6 - where to go?

Hehe, would have been a good idea if not my mother inlaw is convinced that the island is home to dangerous witches. I would never be able to get her of the boat! :)

For me it is silly superstition, for them it is dead serious. Even if I do not agree with her I have to respectthat she beleave it.

So big thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunaly I must find another option. Any advice?

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget beach christmas for 6 - where to go?

did u read post no 1 ?

Oslo
Level Contributor
112 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget beach christmas for 6 - where to go?

Ah, sorry missed no 1! :)

Well I think what part you go to in Mindanao have something to do with it. I was there about 3 months ago for our wedding and I do not think it felt very safe near "her" home town. For fun sake I contacted a company that has professional bodyguards and asked for the fee if I wanted someone to go with me on the trip - they refused as it was to dangerous for their personell. My insurance company cancelled my life insurance when I asked about my upcomming trip, and my foreign department told me that my chances was about as good for a shrimp bait on shark fishing - I might return, but they would not want to go.

We went anyway, and when we got there we were instructed by the police to never open the door after dark, never go out more then 3 meters alone (even in daytime) because "the area is infested with enemy rebels" (police quote). We had 3+ armed guards with us at all times, aswell as a number of police men in civillian clothes (know the cheif of police was one of them, dont know how many others there were though). And on the roads going to that place and back I both got to see army personell with aoutomatic weapons, and some people that were not from the gotherment but very well armed. I was hiding on the floor by then as we were not compleatly sure who they were.

So in all - it went well, but I did not enjoy the trip very much. Would rather not go to Mindanao next time.

But perhapps let them go to Bohol? You mencioned that.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 19:37
clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget beach christmas for 6 - where to go?

what part of mindanao was that? as mentioned i have been all over mindanao -even parts of cotabato -without any armed guards ,-would be happy to return there at anytime ,sure there are army with weapons -there are in my country too -when there is money being transferred from banks etc ,doesnt mean there is risk to tourist ,,sure bohol is easiest option if you dont want to go in mindanao ,from cdo to bohol is 4 hrs by fast ferry

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,692 posts
1,934 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget beach christmas for 6 - where to go?

There are many very safe places to visit in Mindanao. You can research this on TA.

Tommo

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget beach christmas for 6 - where to go?

Dan,

May I ask which part of Mindanao did you go with the police?

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,699 posts
601 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget beach christmas for 6 - where to go?

I support post #1. Camiguin would be a nice suggestion, with choices of hot springs, cold springs, swimming at the sand bar (sea). If anywhere in Mindanao is too near your relative's place, then your option is the Visayas region. In the Visayas, there a lot of choices THAT IS NOT BORACAY. Even Dumaguete which is just a fast craft ride away from Dapitan is a good option unless a fast craft ride away is considered too near your hometown as well.

Malapascua Island...
Level Contributor
40 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget beach christmas for 6 - where to go?

Have you considered Dumaguete. There are some nice beaches slightly outside the City and you're just a short trip from Siquijor (maybe for a day trip for the two of you). Dumaguete has the highest population of Ex Pats in the country and known as the City of Friendly People. I can certainly confirm that it is very friendly here, clean safe and with a good infrastructure.

Also, Siquijor may not be off the books entirely as the witches "mountain healers" only live in the mountains so the beaches are "safe". I would recommend a place called The Bruce (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g664445-d154122…). W;hile it doesn't have a bar or restaurant it's located just 50m from Corral Cay (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g664445-d103438…) who have a great bar and restaurant. Or if you prefer, there is a smashing Filipino restaurant just across the road from The Bruce.

Wherever you go, if there's sand nearby you will need to book early!