We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for 2 week trip in August!

london
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed for 2 week trip in August!

My boyfriend and I live in South Korea and have just booked a 2 week trip to the Philippines for the first two weeks of August. We are both pretty laid back and well-travelled and our main priority is just to relax on some beautiful beaches. Preferably avoiding anything too built up and touristy, we'd like a 'paradise beach' feel. We'd love to do some touring while there too, although we are on a bit of a budget and as we've only got 2 weeks, we dont want to waste days travelling, so preferably easy-ish to get to. So my main questions are:

- we arrive into Cebu at 12.45am on a Sunday. What's the best bet at this time? Crash at the airport until morning/pre-book a nearby place to stay/or can we move on somewhere straight away at that time of night?

- Best Islands to visit? We like the sound of Bohol (boyfriend especially wants to visit the monkey sanctually there if any thoughts on that?) but would appreciate any suggested itineraries for the 2 weeks!

- Usually when travelling, I just turn up and find somewhere. Is this advisable on the islands? I know that its considered low season so I'd like to do that option for ease of moving on when we feel like it, but don't want to be caught out with no place to stay either!

- I know we're going during typhoon season - wondering if anyone had any first hand experience in the first 2 weeks of August; how much sunshine can we reasonably expect in 2 weeks?

- And finally just any recommendations for things that we shouldn't miss/ things we should know. It's our first holiday together and neither of us have been able to get away for a while, so really looking forward to the Philippines and want to make the most of it!

Thank you!!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for 2 week trip in August!

Bohol is a good choice.

With 2 weeks, you can visit up to 3 places. I would suggest the following.

Cebu - Dumaguete - Siquijor (and Apo) - Bohol - Cebu.

Unless you really just stick to once place, then Siquijor or Bohol is recommended.

As for the weather, no one can predict how it will be. Usually Visayas is not in the direct path of the typhoon. You may still encounter strong winds and rain.

Once you arrive in Cebu, you may want to check-in into a short time hotel (you know what is short time?) and get some sleep. Depending on where you want to go, wake up and just go to the ferry jetty to buy your tickets.

As you mentioned, it is the wet season. Ferry operators may adjust the schedule according to the weather.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,967 posts
2,060 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for 2 week trip in August!

I absolutely agree: Apo Island (not to be confused with 'Apo Reef') and Siquijor Island are must sees. While you may wish to stay at a cheaper place, look up Coco Grove Beach Resort's website as it gives you an idea of what to expect, along with ferry and pumpboat schedules.

There are one or two Cebu City 2.5 star hotels quite close to the port.

Low season is known as that for a reason. You will not normally struggle to find a room.

If travelling by sea, try to start as early as possible as the seas are often much calmer in the morning.

Edited: 05 June 2013, 11:17
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,967 posts
2,060 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for 2 week trip in August!

www.asiatravel.com has a good range of Cebu City accommodation.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for 2 week trip in August!

If I may add my two Centavos worth here, with regards to your question about typhoons. Coming from South Korea to the Philippines during typhoon season is no deal breaker it depends on timing which as you know is difficult to predict where and when a typhoon will strike.

The weather at this time of year is still good enough to enjoy yourself, although the locals may complain that its cooler, if you do have the misfortune to have a typhoon head your way, you are likely to experience a couple of days of inconvenience with rain either side of the typhoon, then apart from what disruption it has caused basically back to normal.

I have been in the Philippines the day after a typhoon passed by and it chucked down a lot of water, with plenty of puddles and humidity (best not wear your good dancing shoes out). I have also been hit by a typhoon in Hong Kong. But whilst these things do happen it is amazing how fast things get back to normal, and it is very very rear that you will get two typhoons or tropical storms in a row (although not impossible). So with this in mind go ahead and book away.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed for 2 week trip in August!

I would also go for Bohol, it tends to have better weather than many places in the Philippines at this time of year, even though it is typhoon season, your chances of getting good weather are fairly high.

Also consider Siquijor and even Moalboal on Cebu and the SE coast of Negros[ Dumaguete,Dauin etc]. All these places are easily accessible from Cebu city

Cebu Island...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed for 2 week trip in August!

Hello visitor. If you need a place to stay while in cebu, you may try FamilyHomestay cebu. It is no a hotel but more on a transient home, room rates starts at 650 to 900 pesos. All rooms with ac, wifi, cable tv/dvd, personal refrigerator, and kitchen utensils. you may contact: Dwight 09228418177 if you need more information.

Bohol, is a good choice. Boat fare cost around 1k per head, you may go around the island within 8 hours (city tour which includes the chocolate hills, seeing the tarsier, lunch at loboc river to name a few places to see), it would be nice to go to panglao island and stay or one or two nights.

In cebu, you may try the skywalk and sky ride at club ultima Osmena blvd for an outdoor adventure ride, swim at shangri-la beach resort in mactan or to imperial palace (class A beach resort), eat at radisons Blu on tues/thurs/sat (prices are at 50 percent off), try the boneless lechon (roasted pig) at park mall or at zubuchon, dine at Lantaw busay (see the city view at night) or at lantaw Cordova (seaside view) and try the local food. Golden cowrie is a restaurant that serves local food, food is so good :)

Try whale shark watching or swimming at oslob cebu. 500 pesos for the whale shark watching and swimming. van or buses are available for transportation. drop by the waterfalls before heading back to the city of cebu. you can buy roasted pork/pig at carcar at 300 pesos per kilo :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,366 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed for 2 week trip in August!

Nobody can tell you what the weather will be like for your 2 weeks. Based on the first 2 weeks of August last year, the central Visayas will be mostly dry. I remember this because it was pouring down rain in Manila and flooding in Manila but not raining in Cebu. However, you could still get a typhoon and you can still get pouring rain for a few days..

If you will catch the 6am OceanJet to Bohol, you could nearly go straight to pier 1 and wait for your boat.

However, my suggestion is you take time to get adjusted and get cashed up, buy your boat tickets and travel on the Monday.

These are my favourite islands. Bohol/Panglao, Biliran, Malapascua, Camiguin and Siquijor.

You don't have time to see all the don't miss places. So tell us which islands you have chosen and we can tell you what not to miss there.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed for 2 week trip in August!

Have been in the phils plenty of time in july or august.no problem. As a matter of fact im doing it again in a few months- august here i come

8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed for 2 week trip in August!

Try Camotes Island.

8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed for 2 week trip in August!

Try Camotes Island. It's an emerging destination in Cebu and slowly becoming a favorite of South Koreans.

Get answers to your questions about Cebu Island