We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to philippines end of February...

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to philippines end of February...

I will be staying in Cebu one night and Bohol two. Can anyone please tell me the best area to stay in?! I hear cebu city is dirty to stay away. But I am open to whatever. Also where in Bohol is the prettiest not sooo touristy? Thank you.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to philippines end of February...

Prettiest and dirty is very subjective.

If you want less touristy, then stay at Anda but it is really quiet and quite far from the city.

If you want a little of nightlife, Alona beach will be better but with more tourist activity.

What is your budget for your accommodation?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to philippines end of February...

For a first time visitor to Cebu City, my suggestion is to stay near Ayala Mall.

Ayala Mall has the Terraces which is several levels of indoor and out door dining choices. Some of the restaurants have live bands some nights. Inside the mall there is a food court and other cheap dining such as McDonald's. There is children's entertainment, cinemas, fitness centre, multiple money changers and usual mall shopping.

Opposite Ayala Mall on C Rosales Avenue is HSBC which has 2 ATM machines inside with a guard on the door 24/7. Their ATMs dispense up to P40,000 at a time and do not charge an additional P200 fee like other banks ATM's.

For hotels near Ayala Mall,

- there is the Marriott Hotel on the same block of land with a rear access to the Terraces at Ayala Mall

- Then along Arch Bishop Reyes, opposite Ayala Mall,in a more or less continuous row of hotels there is Island Stay then Tune then Regal then Quest then Mandarin Plaza then Parklane.

Between all those hotels, you will find one that suits your budget. At the bottom end of the scale would be Tune and Island Stays. No idea what Tune charge but Island Stays usually has a banner out the front proclaiming P800 promo rate. Although they have probably reeled it in at the moment and put up the prices for Sinulog. Best hotel is probably the Marriott and best value for money hotel is probably Quest. Check what deals you can get on Agoda.com or Asia Travel.com

Prettiest not so touristy would be some of the hotels in the mountains of Bohol. However, I would not suggest you stay there with only 2 days on Bohol. I think you want to be either

- at Alona Beach

- or in Tagbilaran City

so that you have time to experience as much as possible.

Vancouver, Wn.
Level Contributor
427 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to philippines end of February...

Hearing the description of Cebu City being dirty is so foreign to my experience as to be be laughable. I have stayed in various areas five or six times now and have only had possitive experiences. I think if you go looking for it, like anyother city in the world, you can find undesirable areas and areas where poverity is wide spread.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,908 posts
1,622 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to philippines end of February...

Alona Beach is touristy but that would be my recommended area to stay. Perhaps anda Beach if you are looking for a quiet place.

Around Ayala Mall is definitely also my preferred area to stay. Jim sums it up well describing the difference between Quest and Marriott. Id like to add that the Marriott is only 3 star and overcharges by charging 5 star prices and is quite dated. Quest offers better value and is a more modern hotel.

If you are worried about dirty would suggest you reconsider Asia as a destination on a whole although Im sure most cities around the world have 'dirty' areas.

Tommo

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to philippines end of February...

Interesting. Most of the travelers I know and talk to refer to Cebu city as dirty and I can certainly understand what they mean. I haven't been to Cebu since 2012 so I don't know what it looks like now but the city suffered during the Osmena admin where urban settlers just settled wherever they wanted. And yes, it does look grimy and dark. Ayala and other areas are fine once you are inside the area. But all entrances/exit going to Ayala or IT park are surrounded by urban settlers as well. which makes it "dirty looking," I guess.

So in Cebu, stay around the Ayala area. It is the better area to stay in.

In Bohol, Alona beach for ease of accommodation and restaurants and transportation options.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,908 posts
1,622 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to philippines end of February...

S2S I was so surprised that around Ayala there is so much contruction going on. Looks like Condos mainly. Its becoming a Greenbelt.

I was also last there late 2011.

Tommo

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to philippines end of February...

Yeah they have lots of condos preselling when I lived there. Not cheap. Haha.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to philippines end of February...

@ jessica

1d in Cebu and 2d in Bohol is a good idea. Yes - Cebu and Manila generally tend to be dirty / dusty in most parts, like any such big city.

Clean places... I can tell you which are NOT so clean (not really dirty). Having said that, an interesting thing is the hotels themselves tend to be rather clean - especially those that cater to Filipino families.

Sampaguita suites is located in a dusty nondescript lane (but so close to Sto Nino church and fort San pedro that I am ready to forgive it). not dirty but not scenic either. The hotel itself inside is clean.

Waterfront hotel is good, big and located in a nice clean area.

Montebello villa hotel is very good, big with a lot of greenery. the street outside is okayish, but hte hotel grounds are so large that you may not have to go out much.

Of course, the starry hotels in Mactan - like Mariott are all nice, clean and stylish, but you have to pay mroe for them. - excursionista.net/2013/08/lunch-buffet-garde…

Island stay hotels are rather clean, spic and span (but usually without windows) - and budget too. Popular with Filipino teenagers. http://www.islandsstay.com/ - it has 2 branches in Cebu - uptown and in Mactan

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
22 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to philippines end of February...

If "dirty" is a concern, then you should not go anywhere in the Philippines! You have a be a specific traveler to want to go there... like me, an adventurer. :)

I stayed at Mandarin Plaza hotel close to Ayala Center. It's newer hotel so price is $40 USD/day with breakfast. This is a tourist-y part of the city so you'll prob like it. A cheaper option is about a mile away at Northwinds hotel ($28 USD/day). Close to IT park which is also Western standards.

Do enjoy the Philippines.. dirt should not be an issue. See past all that and you will see just how amazing and beautiful this country is!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to philippines end of February...

I suggest your one day stay in Cebu will be at the end of the trip if you are taking a flight out of Cebu.