We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which part of Cebu Island should we go?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which part of Cebu Island should we go?

Hi,

My filipino colleagues have been recommending me to visit Cebu for the great beaches and seafood. I gather from the internet that most tourists end up at Mactan island.

If I'm looking for a place in Cebu that is

1. quiet, preferbly not crowded with other tourists

2. has beautiful beaches that I can swim and snorkel in

3. reasonably accessible to restaurants and Oslob (whale watching)

Which part of the island should I go? I'm afraid that Mactan is too touristy though I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of going there. Which part of Cebu has the most beautiful and unspoiled beaches?

Me and my wife are planning to visit Cebu for the first time in October.

Appreciate any advice!

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
176 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which part of Cebu Island should we go?

How about trying Club Fort Med in Boljoon, just a few minutes from Oslob? They have excursions that include a trip specifically for whale shark watching.

You can also head north from Metro Cebu and stay at Santa Fe in Bantayan Island, Cebu (about 3-4 hours bus ride and a 1-hr. boat ride to the island) Here's something to give you an idea. http://bestofthephilippineislands.weebly.com/santa-fe-cebu.html#.U_wK3qNMFjk). No whale shark watching, however.

On a neighboring island (to Bantayan) is another island -- Malapascua. You'll be taking a different bus from Metro Cebu if you're heading to Malapascua. It takes about 3-4 hrs. by bus and 30 mins. by outrigger canoe. Near the island is Monad shoal, where thresher sharks visit in the early morning. Getting a glimpse of them is possible if you dive. Gato Islet is also where you can encounter white-tipped sharks, but you still have to dive.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 05:26
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which part of Cebu Island should we go?

I suggest you going to Bohol and Panglao.

Cebu city itself have no beach to speak of. They are all in Mactan and most of them are imported sand.

If you want less unspoiled beach, it will be Camotes Island, Malapascua and Bantayan Island.

However all these 3 islands are quite hard to reach and involved long traveling times.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 08:18
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,182 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which part of Cebu Island should we go?

Touristy is not how I would describe Mactan Island.

Mactan island is about half swamp. The other half has factories, shipping, industry, slums, squatters, city living, malls and the international airport. It also has a bunch of resorts on the best bits. If you stay in a resort on Punta Engano, on Mactan island, you will be quite isolated from any services except for what is in your resort and the resorts around you.

A real tourist island is Malapascua, which I was going to suggest until I got to the part where you wanted to be in Oslob which is about 250 kilometres away, as the crow flies, more if you travel by road, at the other end of Cebu Island.

My personal suggestion, if money is not an issue, is to stay on Badian Island

http://badianhotel.com/

If money is an issue, from Oslob, get yourself over to Dumaguete City then catch the first boat to Siquijor and stay at a place such as Coral Cay

http://coralcayresort.com/

There is another resort on Siquijor which others will want to recommend but I can't bring myself to mention it as I told them I would never be back.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which part of Cebu Island should we go?

Thanks for the replies!

I think these 3: Camotes Island, Malapascua and Bantayan Island are the type of beaches I had in mind to visit...since its an either/or situation I'll just drop the whale watching from my itinerary...

How much should I expect to spend on meals if I'm eat at local eateries? is it possible to reach these places from the resorts?

Manila
Level Contributor
373 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which part of Cebu Island should we go?

Bantayan Island has great beaches, but its too far from Oslob

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,182 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which part of Cebu Island should we go?

I presume you mean you are dropping whale sharks from your itinerary, allowing you to visit the north.

Ging Gings is the cheapest place to eat on Malapascua

These are costs I posted in another thread from a year ago

- P65 for a plate of noodles with chicken and vegetables. Lots of other dishes were similarly priced.

- A litre of coke was P50, with glasses so you could share.

- A Pina Colada cocktail was only P65 compared to P125 at the Maldito Bar.

Not sure what you mean by being accessible from the resorts. Here is the article I wrote a year ago telling how I got to Malapascua from Cebu City

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294245-i3256-k…

I will be visiting again in November and will provide updates then. When are you planning to go?

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
176 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which part of Cebu Island should we go?

Full meals on Bantayan Island's local eateries cost an average of US$1 or less. That already includes a viand and rice. If you forego the rice and substitute it with soup or a side dish, it would still equal the amount you pay for the rice, more or less. Barbecued chicken (breast and leg) still costs less than US$1.

Camotes does not have a lot of local eateries, so you might opt for the hotel's/resort's restaurant. You might expect to spend more than twice for a meal compared to that in Bantayan. The same goes for Malapascua.

It's possible to reach local eateries on foot. Some ambulant vendors might also sell freshly-harvested shellfish. They expect it to be eaten raw. If you will have it cooked, they'll assume you want it to be grilled/broiled since most people in the islands don't have ovens. Also, inquire beforehand if there's somebody who can cook/prepare the fresh catch you bought.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which part of Cebu Island should we go?

Thanks Jim I was planning to go in October but now it seems (sadly) I will have to postpone my plans till next year march...my filipino colleagues advised that it'll be better to go when I'm able to take more days off from work

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,182 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which part of Cebu Island should we go?

March, April and may are the best months, weatherwise, in the Philippines

So, March should be good for you!

10. Re: Which part of Cebu Island should we go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2015, 05:15