We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time visitor- some tips please!

liverpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Topic
first time visitor- some tips please!

Hi, I am a 24 year old, visiting Singapore first time in August for a few days. I dont know anythin about the place. I would appreciate a few tips on:

1) which is the best location to stay (including a particular street if you know it). I want to stay in a very convinient location & very lively location.

2) How many days do I need to spend?

3) which is the best hotel under £45

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,613 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time visitor- some tips please!

hope these lists can help :

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8205-Singapore…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8282-Suggested…

but u can find a lot of SIN travel info at :

visitsingapore.com/publish/…home.html

good luck

Gronau, Germany
Level Contributor
804 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time visitor- some tips please!

Hello Kiddah,

If you travel by Singapore Airlines you can arrange a stopover program with them. They have first class hotels in their program for a very special price, incl. transportation, special discount for diner at the hotel and discounts for some attractions. If not then Furama Riverfront Hotel is a good option. Check the internet for the prices and book before. (Also for other hotels) I once had this hotel booked via Singapore Airlines as stopover program, which was a very good deal and once I was stranded in Singapore and booked the hotel directly by phone and had to pay a lot of money. But the hotel I liked.

I spend 3 days in Singapore, which I found enough. I went to Sentosa Island, but did not like it at all. China Town is ok and one evening I went to the Night Safary. But as said by the other TripAdvisor check some websites, do some orientation and if you arrive at the airport, collect some brochures. Taxicab are cheap and difficult to get when it rains. Underground might be an option.

Gronau, Germany
Level Contributor
804 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time visitor- some tips please!

Website of the hotel is: www.riverfront.furama.com and at this moment they have special prices.(If you cannot arrange stopover program with Singapore Airlines) From SGD. 180.00. I do not know how much that is in UKP. If that is too expensive then you have to check the internet.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,305 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time visitor- some tips please!

Hi Kiddah,

Sounds like Orchard Road is your place though I'm not sure if there's a hotel that falls within your budget of 45 pounds. You can try the YMCA. Avoid Hotel Grand Central if you can even though it's relatively cheap considering its location at Orchard.

And what would you like to do while you're here? If you're coming by whilst we're celebrating National Day (Aug 9), then I'm sure you'll be able to catch some fancy aircraft flyover and fireworks display. This year's National Day Parade (NDP) is purportedly one of the best we have.

Shopping is enough to take up 3 days, especially since it's the Great Singapore Sale now - and I'm sure there'll be lots of post-sale stuff later on in August.

If you want to add in some cultural, heritage stuff with some fun at Sentosa, then maybe another 2 days more? About a week is good for first-time visitors.

5. Re: first time visitor- some tips please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 09:36