We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore, KL, or Bangkok for 3 nights on way to Bali?

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
421 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore, KL, or Bangkok for 3 nights on way to Bali?

Which would be the best city for a stopover on the way for a beach holiday? We would like some livelyness, culture, places to visit, and excellent hotels?!

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
895 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore, KL, or Bangkok for 3 nights on way to Bali?

Cant speak about KL or Bangkok as I havent been. We did start our honeymoon off for 3 days in Singapore in April on our way to Bali, both me & my husband were blown away by the place. Its vibrant, cultured, very ordered & clean & feels safe. its compact enough to cram lots into a few days, the people are lovely.....as you can see we enjoyed it alot & will go again when we next get chance to visit that part of the world.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore, KL, or Bangkok for 3 nights on way to Bali?

I found KL quite boring. Bangkok has a lot more to offer and much more to see, I've been twice and love the place. As for Singapore I have never been but I'm going in Sept for the Grand Prix.

So far I have never visited a more exciting city than Bangkok but I've high hopes for Singapore.

The hotels in Thailand are second to none, very luxurious, fantastic service and for me the best value for money in S.E Asia.

Liveliness+culture+places to visit=Bangkok...IMHO.

Wherever you end up have a great trip!

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore, KL, or Bangkok for 3 nights on way to Bali?

Haven't been to Bangkok, but between Singapore and KL Singapore wins hands down in my opinion given the criteria you've stated. The only advantage KL has over Singapore is that prices are lower. By the way I have had great times in both places just feel that Singapore has so much more to offer, also if it is a choice for you between Singapore Airlines or Malaysia Airlines, then Singapore Airlines is again for me a far more pleasant flying experience.

England
Level Contributor
595 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore, KL, or Bangkok for 3 nights on way to Bali?

I will be in Singapore in November for the 2nd time and I am so looking forward to it.

I am flying with Singapore Airlines and doing their stopover package which is excellent value as transfers etc are included with many free enteries to sights and also free travel on the SIA hop on off bus. Also discounts in stores and hotel restaurants.

I chose SIA as I am flying on to Auckland to pick up a cruise. Other airlines I had to go to London then SIA Sydney before I reached AK/land. Flying direct from Manchester stay 2 night I have opted to go for the Ritz Carlton.

Also chose SIA as I am travelling alone and I know that SIA is very safe.

Sue

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
275 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore, KL, or Bangkok for 3 nights on way to Bali?

Hi

Assuming you have no preference and cost differential for airline is negligable -

Singapore very easy for stopover - clean, compact and lots to do. Hotels are more expensive than KL and Bangkok.

KL - Great mix of shopping from high end to Chinatown. Excellent food, funky bars and love those towers. Not so much to do as Singers but great hotels and cheaper transport. Airport to city 45-60 mins aprox by car, quicker by train - I find it a bit of a drag after long flight.

Bangkok - big city with lots happening. Much more spread out and hotels are gorgeous. No shortage of culture but need to be "street smart".

All 3 are fantastic and offer different things. If you want an easy stopover, then Sing the way to go but hotel will cost more. KL great but not as much to see, hotels are good value for money. I love the shopping here. Bangkok offers the lot, but you'll need some confidence dealing with taxi drivers, market vendors etc.

We are planning trip to UK next year and have chosen KL as stopover - we did Sing last year and Bangkok the time before! Hope this helps, Haggis

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore, KL, or Bangkok for 3 nights on way to Bali?

I would choose Bangkok. Tons of things to do and very lively atmosphere.....with lots of options for cultural type stuff.

Singapore would be second choice. It does not have the same lively energy as Bangkok but has some things to do - just not range that Bangkok has.

KL is a distant third.

IMHO. :)

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
708 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore, KL, or Bangkok for 3 nights on way to Bali?

i'd choose bangkok for the different things it has to offer. prices are relatively lower in bkk than in sin, if that is a major consideration for you.

sin is a beautiful country, but somehow i feel that bkk is more exciting. if you are flying SQ, then you can avail of the stopover holidays which will sort of ease up most of your travel concerns.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
421 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore, KL, or Bangkok for 3 nights on way to Bali?

Thank you all very much for your opinions. To be honest we were very keen on KL!!! I would have to agree that BKK is somewhere that you would need to be switched on, and, although we are experienced travellers with a bit of 'nouse' if you will, I don't fancy the hectic side of things to start of the honeymoon. Singapore or KL? We have a povisional booking at Traders KL, room looks amazing. What I really liked was the amount of parks in KL? Am I being blinded by the trave guides or is it a place with plenty of parks/rainforest in the city?

Would anyone be able to recommend a really top class hotel in Sin which is around £120 a night max.? Traders looks such an amzing hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore, KL, or Bangkok for 3 nights on way to Bali?

Hmm... I would rate KL as the most hectic (or most likely to have inconveniences).

Bangkok is very mellow if you do it right (tranquility easily found - for cheap too). For example with a combo of boats and MRT/BTS (tube/above ground train), it is easy to even avoid the infamous Bangkok traffic.

Singapore has the least potential for inconveniences, but it is also crowded like Bangkok. :)

Two more cents. :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
275 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore, KL, or Bangkok for 3 nights on way to Bali?

Just back from Singers and Phuket and met a great travel agent - she had just been to KL and stayed at Traders and raved about it - unususal from someone who sees so many properties.

Singapore hotel rates are much cheaper on the weekend, so prices vary. We got an excellent deal at the Marina Mandarin over the weekend, but value for money, I think KL wins easy. Haggis