We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying out of Singapore...

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
52 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
flying out of Singapore...

We are coming to Singapore on the 9th, arriving around 1 to the Crowne Plaza. Our flight leaves the next morning at 11. We have two teenage daughters who love animals. When we arrived in Asia three months ago we went to the zoo and it was beautiful. we only spent two and a half hours there, but feel as though it was enough. This time we would like to see the Aquarium, but I know this does not take a huge chunk of time to do, and we want to fit in something else...

the question is....what??

If we leave the Plaza at say 2 ish I am assuming we would arrive there by 2:30 to 3. We would walk about and discover for maybe two hours at the most according to what I have read. So what to do after that...

So, got any suggestions and time frames? We will not have a car so we are going to rely on cabs, or public transport... but from Sentosa a cab is best from what I can tell. Any help would be gretly appreciated... thanks...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
436 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying out of Singapore...

Hi amlunchlady,

You can stay on Sentosa, there are enough attractions there to spend the rest of your day there. Browse their website to see what interest you: http://www.sentosa.com.sg

My favourites are luge ride (30 mins per ride), dolphin lagoon (2 hours, need to match the show time), butterfly park (1 hour), cinematic shows (~30 mins each) and the night fountain+laser+song show- "Song of the sea" (1 hr). Or just enjoy a bicycle ride or swim on Siloso beach. The night show ends about 8.00 p.m. They have combo packages of attractions which can save you some money. Anyway, the fare you pay for the aquarium (underwater world) includes dolphin lagoon. You can take the MRT train instead of cab, cheaper and easy to use. Singapore is not big at all. Hope you enjoy Singapore.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
739 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying out of Singapore...

Hi Amlunchlady

Do i gather from your post you are in Sg about 24 hours? Your family obviously love animals so a suggestion would be the Jurong Bird park. We loved it, the grounds are really nice and its very well run.Located at the end of the EW line on MRT about a half hour ride. Then just a short bus ride (5 minutes)You would be there late afternoon after your visit to the aquarium which is of course when birds are more active. Ps When you are waiting to board your flight at Changi take the kids to see the Carp pool, in terminal 3, they will love that too its free as is the butterfly enclosure,

Have a good trip

Derek

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
52 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying out of Singapore...

Thanks pomkitanner... Yes we love animals. So far we think we will do the aquarium and then the luge (hubby needs some "fun" and "thrills"). Is it possible to do the birdpark after the aquarium and then go back for the luge? I do not know if these attractions are all in close proximity to each other and easy to go from one to the other. Is the bird park near Sentosa?

I know that the aquarium closes at 9 and the pink dolphins closes at 6. The skyride and luge are open until 9:30.

We have also considered doing dining in the cable car.

Styaing out late is not a problem because we fly the entire next day so we can stay out and get good and tired so we sleep on the plane.

Please if you have any itinerary/time frame info you can give me I would love it. Thanks again.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
739 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying out of Singapore...

Hi lunchlady,

Lucky you, you live in a wonderful state !

I looked at your time frame again and think the bird park may just be a bit of a rush as it closes at 6pm. SO.... You have been to the zoo on your last visit, Did you also do the night safari, nearby ? Worth a visit especially as it fits in well with your time frame, Opens at 7.30pm till midnight. i'm sure the kids will also like this. here is a link to the night safari,

http://www.nightsafari.com.sg/index.html

regards

Derek

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
52 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying out of Singapore...

Thanks Derek,

Yes, we live in a beautiful state and are looking forward to home... though it will be getting cold and dark when we get back. We have been spoiled by the weather here in Malaysia.

So, thanks for the recinsideration of our time frame and the info... we did not get to do the night zoo last time so perhaps we will try to do that.

Tell me if you think this is do-able...

3:00-5:00 Aquarium

5:30-7:00 Luge/skyride

7:30-? night zoo

Food whenever, wherever...

Look forward to any input...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
436 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying out of Singapore...

Look OK to me. But provided you take a cab from sentosa to the night safari. MRT and Train combo to get to Night Safari will take too long. Enjoy your stay in Singapore.

Ballan, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying out of Singapore...

Hi lunchlady,

I would recommend the night zoo, I haven't experienced anything like it elsewhere, the animals are so different. The train ride was cool and relaxing and we were able to see so many animals.

I've also been to the dophins and the aquarium, and if I could only do one it would be the night zoo.

We are heading back to singapore in dec/jan and I'll be going to the zoo for both the breakfast, my 3rd time (I love to see the elephants bathing and feeding them bananas) and back to the night zoo with 15 year old who hasn't see that before.

Hope you fit in all you want to see.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
739 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying out of Singapore...

Hi Again Amlunchlady.. (who does the Pm Shift ? )

Yes i agree with woodlands, From Sentosa take a Taxi. Should be no more than $20 and as there are 4 of you it will be both convenient and not greatly more expensive than MRT. Your above programme looks fine, Night safari doesn't close till midnight so plenty of time. Send us a report when you get home - we all love reports. Lol.

Derek

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
52 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flying out of Singapore...

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the second opinion on the itinerary. As per your question about who does the pm shift?...I guess that would be me too...only that is done on my own time with my own money! I do have two able bodied children to do the dishes though!

One thing I will miss about Malaysia is all the great hawker foods that are so cheap. We have eaten out so much since coming here because it is cheaper, tastier, and it doesn't heat up the house. So spoiled! Back to real life soon....

again, thanks for your help.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
52 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying out of Singapore...

woodlands and cthink... thanks for the input. I think a taxi is a good idea, maybe a tad more expensive, but worth the time and simplicity...and it was good to hear a good report about your experiences at the zoo. I love the forums, they give me so much more confidence when heading out to the unknown.....