We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Penang

Level Contributor
2,333 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to Penang

Are there any direct flights from Singapore to Penang? Also which airlines fly from Singapore to Langkawi direct. Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
436 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to Penang

I believe Silkair fly from Singapore to Penang. You can also depart from Johore Senai Airport in Malaysia. Air Asia and Malaysia airlines fly to Langkawi and Penang. Senai airport can be reached easily from Singapore either by bus and/or by cab.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
962 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to Penang

Both Singapore Airlines and Malaysian Airlines have direct flights to Penang (just over an hour).I believe there is a chinese airline that flies there too Xiamen Airlines I think. Otherwise you have to go via Kuala Lumpur or Johore Bahru on Air Asia.Silk Air goes direct to Langkawi.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,212 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to Penang

Getting a flight to Penang return from from your home country on Singapore Airlines with a free stopover in Singapore (for any duration) will be the cheapest way to go. You also get the 'Singapore Stopover' benifits package.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to Penang

Noodle---

MAS are the cheapest from SIN to PNG

Trust me, I am a Doctor. :-)

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
762 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to Penang

I agree with Esorlegin, MAS will give the best fare direct from Singapore to Penang. However if budget is important and you are able to book ahead, consider Air Asia from Senai airport across the causeway at Johor Bahru. There are Taxis from Queen street direct to the airport for minimal cost.The savings are significant, Air Asia is a reputable budget airline with late model aircraft. Delays while not unknown are rare and usually short, so if your final destination is penang you should have little concern.

Nigel- "a Doctor ?" BSc in Gastronomy ?

Level Contributor
2,333 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to Penang

Great help, thanks. If we get the plane from Senai do you have to leave much time to get through customs and do you go through in the tax and the same on the way back? The flights are very reasonable with MAS and go direct, just hoping there will be availability and the prices don't increase the nearer you get to travelling.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
762 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to Penang

Hi Noodlesec

When taking the Taxi from Sg to Senai you will not need to exit the cab at the border, The driver will have all the necessary paperwork- they do little else but traverse back and forth so are well versed in the proceedure. travel time from Sg - Senai can be anything from 1 to 1-1/2 hours depending on traffic. Fare is Rm 80 from Senai. forgot the return fare but of course is in Singapore Dollars.

When booking ahead with Air Asia you can expect a fare for upwards of $Sg 50

Level Contributor
2,333 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to Penang

Thanks again, I have looked at Air Asia it is half the price of Malaysia airways. If the flight leaves JB at 10.30 am what time do you think we should leave the Novotel Clarke Quay. How long do you need at the airport before departure. Does anyone know the taxi fare from Singapore to the Airport and I can work out if it is worth the saving.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
762 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to Penang

Air Asia are Fairly rigid on check in times. To be certain i would arrive at Senai 2 hours before departure. ( its quite a big airport with plenty to occupy you while you wait.) Depending on your time of travel the taxi ride can take anything from 1 to 2 hours- if during rush hour.Only Malaysian registered taxis from Rochor road are allowed to do the trip. Fare should be about $Sg50

www.senaiairport.com/travellers.asp…

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights to Penang

Derek - MD in Fried Rice :-)