We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black girl travelling alone to Singapore

london
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Black girl travelling alone to Singapore

Can anybody advise me whether Singapore is a multicultural country and welcoming to black people as I am planning on holidaying later this year.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
19,858 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black girl travelling alone to Singapore

Hello,

Singapore is a very multi-cultural society. Lots of races and cultures living in a small island nation.

Hope you enjoy your upcoming stay in Singapore.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black girl travelling alone to Singapore

Black or white is not an issue in Singapore, at all. Singaporeans are well used to living in a multiracial environment. You will feel completely at home.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black girl travelling alone to Singapore

Dun Worry, we have Black expat / student who work / study here.

Have a great time.

Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black girl travelling alone to Singapore

Please discard your worries and enjoy your stay here.

We have people all over the world here living together harmoniously :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black girl travelling alone to Singapore

There is a bit of prejudice and wariness of Black people in Singapore. But being a female helps and if you look like a tourist (especially looking as if from London versus Africa), there should be no trouble. Students and expats from Africa encounter more attitude than Black folks from elsewhere - truth be told.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black girl travelling alone to Singapore

Banapona,

Interesting comments. May I ask you if these are based on your personal experience or just hearsay? I have seen Singapore shopkeepers giving more attention to Japanese tourists as compared to other Asian tourists if two groups happen to be in their shop at the same time. I have not heard of any one being subject to racial abuse, though!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black girl travelling alone to Singapore

Don't worry, in my work place, we work along side with people from different coutnries, Myamar, Thailand, S.Africa, EU, US, India, Sri Lanka, China, Malaysia,Philippines etc.... even people from Vietnam.

Well, not forgetting have the "Little India" and Chinatown, Thai sector around Beach road area, lots of Philippinos at another area, etc... So its a diversity of race living within the island city. I don't see any problem even walking alone into the late night hours. Of course, don't take chances. So enjoy yourself.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black girl travelling alone to Singapore

You should not have a problem, though I have to say that there aren't that many black tourists here as there are white or yellow. ;-P

While the numbers have dropped, there are still loads of tourists here in general - maybe it's because the island's so tiny and everyone seems to be at the same place!?

Have fun when you're here. It would be interesting to read your Just Back report after your stay here. ;-)

london
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Black girl travelling alone to Singapore

Thank you for your response. I will definitely be going and will report back on my experience when I get back.

london
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Black girl travelling alone to Singapore

Thank you to everyone that has responded to my message. I have always been drawn to Singapore based on a lot of report that I have heard and read about the place, particularly the amazing people, the cleanliness and discipline. I will definitely be goung and will report back on my experience on my return.