We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good food near to traders hotel

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Good food near to traders hotel

We will arrive in Singapore - Traders Hotel late afternoon in September.

We wish to eat good local food for dinner(not too expensive though!) within walking distance of the hotel - to give some members of the family their first 'taste of Malaysia' - literally!

Has anyone any suggestions please?

Also - which is the best way to travel on to KL? By air, or train - as this is the first visit to Malaysia for most of the family, thought the train would be more interesting. Again, has anyone any thought, comments or suggestions?

Thanking you in anticipation.

CostieraAmalfitana

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good food near to traders hotel

right next to the hotel is Tanglin mall, in the basement there is a food court so enjoy ! If not, u can walk over to Botanic Gardens and there is another food court there.

If u walk down cuscaden road towards orchard, u will find in the basement of Orchard towers another food court.

Needless to say, if u walk a bit further is scotts road where there are even more.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good food near to traders hotel

Singapore food - Taste of Malaysia, NOT

For tastes of Singapore - You have to visit our hawker centers. But there isn't any worth visiting near Traders hotel.

But, you can try walking down Orchard Road and go into Wisma Atria (Blue building). There is a food court (Food Republic) where you can get decent food

If you do not mind taking a 5 minutes taxi ride, go to River Valley... You can get excellent chicken rice, duck rice, spicy malay food and roast meat from the row of shophouses there

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good food near to traders hotel

I suggest you go to KL by coach. It brings you closer to KL city and the time spent is the same by air (2 hours check-in & out, 45 mins flight & 1 hour to KL city)

Try http://www.luxury.com.sg/ - Near the Singapore Istana (in Orchard Road)

Scotland
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good food near to traders hotel

Thank you for your responses.

Really looking forward to our short stay in Singapore.

CostieraAmalfitana

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
59 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good food near to traders hotel

Hi from Ireland,

We will be staying in Traders Hotel in the next 2 weeks and will check out of of the places that were mentioned on the forum & report back to you.

Not back in Ireland until end of July, so may not reply until we are home.

Scotland
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good food near to traders hotel

Just attempted to book Coach Tickets (Singapore to LK)with company suggested above and note that there is a 15kg luggage limit for each passenger.

We will each exceed this (air luggage allowance of 20kg + hand luggage).

Does this mean we will not be allowed to travel by Coach and will have to take the train?

OR is there another Coach company that will allow us to travel with our heavier luggage?

I hope someone can help - please!

CostieraAmalfitana

Singapore
Level Contributor
640 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good food near to traders hotel

That's funny. Normally coaches do not weigh the luggages. There are a lot of coach companies at Golden Mile area that can bring you to KL. Cheaper ones like Sri Maju while the more expensive one is Grassland. However, you should really be careful with the weight of your luggage if you are taking a coach. You need to carry your bags across the Malaysian Custom and its a 100-200m walk. You will also find it troublesome to carry your bag around KL when you reach there.

I would give the train system a miss. It is unreliable and take the longest time to reach KL (6-7 hours when it is effective). There have been cases that the train delay by 2-3 hours. Moreover, the coach seats are now like 1st class on the areoplane.

I am not sure if you want to taste expensive or cheap food. There is a food court at basement of Tanglin mall selling food close to local taste. It will be good for your first taste of Singapore's food, after that everything will taste better.

If you want something porshe, there is a restaurant at Traders Hotel next to the swimming pool.

I just remember that there is a place nearby at Damsey Road. There is this Indian restaurant with reasonable price, you need to take a taxi there. its very hot though (food wise).

Singapore
Level Contributor
640 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good food near to traders hotel

This web-site I have found contains the coach companies.

travelmalaysiaguide.com/malaysia-singapore-e…

Sri Maju Express Bus

http://www.srimaju.com/

This is my favourite...until I got a car. It is cheap and comfortable. The coach stop at Pudu station, very messy and taxi drivers are aggressive, they will also over charge you especially if you are foreigner. You need to walk away from Pudu station before fetching a cab.

Grassland Express Bus

grassland.com.sg/golden-schedule-other.html

This used to be the most expensive and probably still is. the difference is that they provide food!. The coach stop outside Pudu station. Same conditions applies.

Transtar Travel

http://www.transtar.com.sg/index.php

I have taken the coach only once (2000) and it was not good. The company is located at Lavendar area. They have recently acquired their own fleet and its now a porshe express. They stop at Imbi Bus Station, which is away from the main road. You may need to walk out to get a cab. Good news if you stay at Bukit Bintang, the place is not far from there.

First Coach Express Bus

Sorry, no web-site for this. The company is located at Novena Square. The price is reasonable, like Sri Maju. Good thing is that you can shop before you board, it has a TV but might not turn it on, you are likely to have a bored 5 hours ride. This coach will stop at Bangsar in KL. It is in a sub-urban area. You will have difficulty getting a cab. The advantage is that it stops right at the Malaysia MTR, someting like London Underground, except it is above ground.

Nice Express/Plusliner

(web-site seems to be down)

This is by most the fastest coach to KL, really fast. They are licence to exceed speed limit. They stop at the old train station, you will find getting a transport (either bus or taxi) difficult.

Konsortium Express Bus

Sorry, no web-site on this.

I have not really taken this bus before. Last time they have not travelled all the way to KL. However, it has been around for years and you may test it out.

Singapore
Level Contributor
640 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good food near to traders hotel

When you go to KL, make sure you eat "Dai Lok Mien" or "Hokkien mee".

The best place you can find this dish is at street side hawker at night (7-8pm). The dish is unsightful, dark brown or black in color. It only taste good if fried using Prok Lard and you have to make sure that the cook put in what's left of the pork lard.

It uses a dark soy sauce which is potentially cancer causing if you eat too much and you should be eating it at the most unnecessary hours (10PM-3:30AM).

This is a common night snack for average KL people. If you want to taste KL, this is the dish! You can find it at Jalan Petaling or Imbi Road. Some restaurants also cook this dish but they are not as good as the hawkers. Forget about ordering from day hawkers, they suck at this dish.

When you order this dish, you can have combinations of Noodle alone, Noodle plus rice noodle (Beehoon), Noodle plus kui Tiao. The lesser demanded combination would be Kui Tiao plus Beehoon, Kui Tiao or beehoon a lone. You can order 2 different combinations together, they all taste different altough all are black.

Scotland
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good food near to traders hotel

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I kept an eye on the Malaysian Airlines website and managed to secure flights SIN - KL for 4$SIN.

So, will be giving the bus and train a miss on this visit.

Your comments have been very helpful.

CostieraAmalfitana