We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mode of transport in Singapore?

San Francisco
9 posts
Save Topic
Mode of transport in Singapore?

Hi,

If we're traveling independently in Singapore, what kind of trasport should we use to move around?

Thanks

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mode of transport in Singapore?

The underground/subway, taxis and buses, in my order of preference. S'pore has a great public transport system and taxis are way cheaper than in the US and you don't have to tip!

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mode of transport in Singapore?

The MRT is as good, if not better, than any in the world, and fantastic value for money. Alan.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mode of transport in Singapore?

If my destination has a MRT station, I would prefer to take MRT though it is slightly more expensive than bus because it is fast, convenient and timing is regular. Next, is the bus, then the taxi. I will hire a taxi only when I'm in a rush, late in the night or there is no MRT or bus to go to my destination. Bus timing is a bit irregular, sometimes you have to wait for 20 to 30 mins if you miss the previous bus. Though taxi is more expensive as compared to the rest but it is faster and it save you a lot of times.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mode of transport in Singapore?

The MRT is fantastic, definitely in the top 5 worldwide (I would put Hong Kong, Tokyo, London higher definitely) and is very convenient for getting around. Taxis are relatively cheap so between these two methods you might not need anything else, I never did

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mode of transport in Singapore?

subway or the mrt is my first choice as it's fast, clean and good timing. do avoid taxi during peak hours as it's really difficult to get one and there is a 35-50% surcharge

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mode of transport in Singapore?

I will recommend subway/tube which Singaporeans call the train as MRT. It's clean and I would say 80% of the stops have a shopping mall within 5 min walking distance to the MRT.

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
212 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mode of transport in Singapore?

Hi gilston,

You can take a look at this "Mini guide to Singapore public transport"... It explains everything about the different modes of public transport in Singapore:

www.metropolasia.com/Getting_around_Singapore

8. Re: Mode of transport in Singapore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2010, 05:17