We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More options for duty-free liquor

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
More options for duty-free liquor

Great news for travellers who prefer wine or beer to liquor!

From the local paper (Straits Times) today:

"From April 1, travellers will have more choices when buying duty-free liquor on arrival here.

A traveller who does not buy his one litre quota of duty-free spirits will be allowed to buy an additional litre of either duty-free wine or beer in its place.

The maximum amount of duty-free liquor allowed in will remain at three litres.

This is a change from the current rule, which allows a traveller to buy a maximum of one litre each of beer, spirits and wine, with no substitution allowed.

This concession applies only to travellers aged 18 and above who have spent more than 48 hours outside Singapore, and who are not arriving from Malaysia.

The liquor must be for personal consumption.

Travellers who bring in more than the duty-free allowance must declare it and pay duty as well as goods and services tax on the excess.

Payments can be made at either the tax payment kiosks at Changi Airport or the Singapore Customs' tax payments office.

The changes, officially announced by Singapore Customs yesterday, follow Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam's Budget speech last month, during which he announced that those entering Singapore would be allowed an additional litre of duty-free beer or wine in lieu of spirits."

Sydney
Level Contributor
63 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More options for duty-free liquor

Hi, thanks for that information - it's great to know of the changes to regulations. In regard wine in the duty free shops, do you know roughly how much they charge for a mid-range wine - as that may be an option for us, rather than the apparently very expensive choices outside the airport.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More options for duty-free liquor

Hi there,

This may be a good reference guide for you:

shopping.changiairport.com.sg/preorder.jsp…

I'm pretty sure you can get sometime decent between the SGD20 - 30 price range.

Have fun in Singapore! ;-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More options for duty-free liquor

Thought this would also give you an idea of the price of wine at local supermarkets outside the airport.

White Wine:

fairprice.com.sg/webapp/…

Red Wine / Rose:

fairprice.com.sg/webapp/…

P.S. NTUC Fairprice is one of the largest supermarket chains in Singapore and has stores all over the city.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More options for duty-free liquor

@ Annie: As you're aware, booze is expensive in Singapore. A bottle of red/white that doesn't make you gag costs about SGD30. Have never seen a NTUC Fairprice downtown ... very good, tourist-friendly/expat-friendly supermarkets (Cold Storage, Tanglin Marketplace) can readily be found on Orchard Road.

Sydney
Level Contributor
63 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More options for duty-free liquor

Thank you so much for all your help. Had a quick look at the list, yes you are right wine is quite expensive over there - think I will stick to orignial idea of a pre dinner(duty free) G & T in our room before dinner, ha ha! We are sooo excited about our trip, can't wait to see everything, and wander around the city, especially the zoo, and if I'm game the ferris wheel to look at the city! I heard the heat is quite intense so I imagine we will be trying to duck in and out of the airconditioning as much as possible!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More options for duty-free liquor

Wow wine is expensive.

We fly in on 31 March so just miss out on the new laws.

Would have loved to take a 2L cask of our Australian wine in at a cost of $20.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More options for duty-free liquor

Guess what Pamies? I'm also returning on 31st March to Singapore with my family (x5). We would have love those 5 extra bottles of duty free wine!

8. Re: More options for duty-free liquor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2010, 05:19