We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detailed Trip Report: Universal Studios Singapore 22-Mar'10

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Detailed Trip Report: Universal Studios Singapore 22-Mar'10

I am an avid Disney-park fan and have visited all the Disney and Universal Studios (including IOA in Orlando but except Osaka) parks with different friends and family members. Therefore, imperatively, I will compare the attractions at Universal Studios Singapore with Disney’s. The Singapore park opened on 18-March-2010 (Thursday). They call it a “Soft Opening” as only limited daily advance tickets are sold, and during this period S$15 is rebated to the guest in the form of meal and retail vouchers. Initially, tickets are not sold for same day visit at the gate, but soon they realised that forward ticket sales are sluggish and within 3-days after opening they u-turned on their policy on advance tickets. Hence, from Monday 22-March-2010, tickets may be bought at the gate (subject to park capacity).

My friend and I took a day off from work and visited Universal Studios Singapore (USS) on Monday 22-March-2010 which is a regular working and school weekday. We arrived at the park at 9:20am and there was hardly anyone at the entrance. After the entry turnstiles (oddly, they use a bar code scanner for admission, instead of inserting the ticket into the gate for entry at all Disney parks), we walked right onto Hollywood Boulevard.

USS is divided into 7 mini themed sectons: Hollywood, New York, Sci-Fi City, Ancient Egypt, The Lost World, Far Far Away and Madagascar.

“Hollywood” zone does not have a ride attraction. This area has all the shops and food outlets just like Disney’s “Main Street”. We walked thru Hollywood as we knew that the shops would open even after the rest of the park closes for the day, so we will leave the window shopping till the end. Inside the park entrance, Guest Services are on the extreme left, whereas strollers, wheelchair and lockers for rent are on the extreme right side. At USS there are no motorised convenience vehicle or scooters available for rent (whereby these are common in the US for people or seniors with walking difficulties and the morbidly obese).

We walked down Hollywood Boulevard towards Lake Hollywood…errr… did they made a mistake? It looked more like a POND. Well ok, I have to admit that land scarce Singapore could not afford the same huge lake like the one at EPCOT. Along Hollywood Boulevard you can see the Walk of Fame Stars on both sides of the side walk inscribed with names of celebrities just like the real thing in LA. At the end of Hollywood zone (after making a right turn) is the “Pantages Hollywood Theater”. Currently on show is Monsters Rock musical with show times at 11am, 1pm, 3pm and 5pm. It is quite an entertaining rock musical that runs for about 18-mins. Across the street and opposite Pantages is the very attractive pastel blue Mel’s Drive-In with replica of cars from the 1950s. It is quite popular with park visitors for photos opportunities. “The Brown Derby” shop selling an array of funny and silly hats (just like Mad Hatter shop in Fantasyland) is also popular with many people trying on the different hats for a quick photo and putting them back.

As we decided to do the park anti-clockwise. The next section after Hollywood is “New York”. The New York scene street is re-created in this small land. Again, there are no ride attractions in New York. There is a show attraction called “Lights, Camera, Action!” on the immediate left as you walk into New York. In this attraction, there is a pre-show followed by the main show which features the special effects of a major hurricane. Guests may get wet in the front row in the area marked in blue. The total run time for both pre-show and main show is about 10-mins. This attraction reminds me of “Twister” at the Orlando park. The Public Library Building of New York is replicated at the end of the street along with Palace Theatre at Times Square. Although in the New York zone on the park map, there is a “Stage 28” show attraction, but we just couldn’t find it on location!

We moved on to “Sci-Fi City” from New York. Sci-Fi City has 3 ride attractions. First, the Accelerator, which is similar to Mad Tea Party tea-cup ride. Accelerator would be the futuristic tea cups that spin guests round and round. No thanks! The 2 other ride attractions in Sci-Fi City are the scarily high roller coasters of Battlestar Galactica of Cylon and Human. The Human is a seated coaster on the red track, whereas the Cylon is a suspended roller coaster on the blue track. Both of these are not for the faint hearted, seniors and people with health issues. Our hearts amost poped out during the ride at the initial plunge.

In the “Ancient Egypt” section, my favourite ride is the Revenge of The Mummy. It is a roller coaster ride in the dark that is very much similar to Space Mountain. Due to the fast loading, we hardly waited for more than a minute to get into the car on the 3 times we took the ride. However it is an extremely long labyrinth walk from the front of the pyramid to the ride loading proper. It definitely took us longer to walk to the ride than the actual time we actually spent being on the ride. A photo would be taken in the final part of ride after the pause. You would see notice a bright flash light at the final drop. Remember to do a funny pose on camera! Unlike the Disney parks, USS staffers are over zealously aggressive in trying to block us from taking a picture of the screen shot that showed us on the ride. This never happened at Tokyo Disneyland when everyone would whip out their camera phones and took pictures of their ride photos displayed on the screens that you could purchase as a photo souvenir. This is a low-down of USS. They charge S$18 for each souvenir ride photo and S$30 for 2 copies.

Opposite the pyramid, the “Treasure Hunters” ride attraction is targeted at the little ones. “Treasure Hunters” is the mini version of Tomorrowland’s Autopia. The cars run on a fixed track.

In “The Lost World” section, we loved the Canopy Flyer. We took the ride twice, once back-facing and the second time front-facing in the direction of travel. The ride soars high above the Jurassic land of The Lost World at a fairly high speed. We felt like we were flying. The front-facing ride was more enjoyable than going backwards as we were able to see the direction of movement. The back facing seats were a little scary as we couldn’t see where we were going and could not predict the drop and turns. The ride time for this attraction is less than a minute and the loading is slow. Our wait time was about 10-mins each time. It is like an outdoor Peter Pan Flight but three times the speed. Next to Canopy Flyer is Dino-Soarin’. It is a jurassic flying creature merry-go-round ride just like the classic Dumbo The Flying Elephant ride in Fantasyland. We skipped this ride as weren't interested in merry-go-rounds.

The main attraction in The Lost World is Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure. This ride is strikingly similar to Kali River Rapids of WDW’s Animal Kingdom. The loading for this ride is slow as there is always confusion at boarding. We experienced the longest wait time here at 20-mins. Passengers climb aboard a circular 9-seater raft to begin a choppy drift down the waterway to the Hydroelectric Generator compound. Along the way prehistoric creatures roam free in the Jurassic Park area. You would travel in darkness thru the generator building and a plunge of 20-feet awaits guests at the end of the ride. You will get wet and may be even be soaked. It is part of the fun and we indeed were soaked at where we sat. Some guests bought disposable ponchos for this ride. The USS version differs totally from the other Jurassic Park water ride at other Universal Studios where they are a log flume water ride.

The Waterworld stunts spectacular show which opened in 1995 in the US was brought to USS. Currently 3 daily showtimes at 12noon, 2pm and 4pm. The duration of this live action show is about 20-mins. There are thrills and spills with some explosions and you may get wet when you are seated in the marked front sections of the amphitheatre. The show ends with the crash landing of the seaplane.

“Far Far Away” land is dominated by the Duloc Castle of Lord Farquaad. Within the castle is the show attraction, Shrek 4D. This attraction is similar to “Honey I Shrunk The Audience”, “Muppet Vision” and It’s Tough to be a Bug!”. Pre-show is about 7-mins followed by the main show in the cinema. The 3D glasses are for the main show only. The cinematic ride is 4D with movable seats, air jets and other special effects. The short film is about 10-mins in duration.

The Donkey LIVE attraction is an interactive live show in Far Far Away land. Guest can have a real-time conversation with Donkey in a cosy small intimate theatre. The setting is exactly the same as Disney's “Turtle Talk with Crush” and “Stitch Live!”.

There are two show attractions and one ride attraction in Far Far Away land. Enchanted Airways is a mini steel roller coaster. This ride looks quite bare with not much of an interesting theme to it. It looks and felt like one of those roller coaster rides in a touring fun fair. Loading is fast and the ride duration is less than a minute.

Currently in “Madagascar”, the only ride attraction is the boring King Julien’s Beach Party-Go-Round carousel. A Crate Adventure boat ride will not open until late 2010. I figured that this soon-to-open ride would be somewhat like It’s A Small World.

We were able to cover the park in 4-hrs. The park is very small. A complete walk around the park would probably take under 15-mins. As we wanted to enjoy a full day we went round the park 3 times over and covering some of the rides a couple of times.

The Universal Studios Store at the front of Hollywood is the largest theme park merchandise store that is similar what Emporium is to the Disneylands.

Tips to enjoy your Park Visit :

1) Leave your shopping at Hollywood till the end of the day. Shops will open until the last guests leave.

2) If you are going to stay till the park closes, schedule the Monster Rock 5pm show at the end of the day.

3) Generally most of rides have a wait time of 5-min or less, therefore it is totally not necessary to purchase the Express Pass.

4) Visit the park on a weekday.

5) Avoid lunch time between 12:30pm to 2pm for your meals. Either go before 12 noon or after 2pm. I had to wait 20-mins for a hot dog.

6) Water cooler fountains are available around the park. BYO disposable mineral water bottle to save on having to purchase drinks in the park.

7) Lockers are available in many places around the park. I am not sure why as this is unusual at Disneylands and Universal Studios in the US. First 30-mins of locker use is free.

Dislikes about the park:

1) Small

2) Slow F&B service during lunch time (I’ve never waited so long, 20-mins, for food at a theme park before)

3) Small theme zones and the lack of attractions in each theme zone (I understand this is also a common grouse amongst visitors to the Universal Studio parks in the US as many are saying that it is not worth the price they are paying for their visit)

4) Cost extra for Express Pass unlike Disney’s free FastPass which is based on first-come-first-serve basis.

Positives about the park:

1) No crowds

2) Short wait times for rides due to few people in the park, and it is likely to stay that way.

Overall I enjoyed myself for the day. However, I am satisfied with just only a one-time visit to the park.

The over 100 photos of the park are available here ---> …photobucket.com/albums/…

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Detailed Trip Report: Universal Studios Singapore 22-Mar'10

Thanks Kevin-sg , your report is really helpful. We are visiting Singapore in few weeks time and can't decide whether or not to visit USS. It 's really intersting to know that the queues are short (that was one of the things that I was worried about) and that you wouldn't bother with the Express Pass. Do you know how long the "soft opening" is for, and do you know whether the queues will be very much longer (in other words, will they admit many more people?) at the end of the solft openeing?

Thanks for your help

Louise

Guernsey CI UK
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Detailed Trip Report: Universal Studios Singapore 22-Mar'10

A really interesting report, thank you, we are visiting with our two teenagers on the 31st March, I think it will be a fun day and not a bad price compared with the Florida, especially if you get the chance to do the main rides more than once.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Detailed Trip Report: Universal Studios Singapore 22-Mar'10

Louise,

Do visit the park on a weekday (Mon-Thu) rather than on a weekend (Fri-Sun). Soft opening till about 31-Mar-2010. However, they may extend it at their discretion. Currently, they have already started to admit more people than originally planned as no advance purchase of tickets is required. However, there aren't that many people visiting the park.

George11,

It is generally ok but it will get scorchingly hot between 12-noon to 3pm. Enjoy your day at the park.

London
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Detailed Trip Report: Universal Studios Singapore 22-Mar'10

Great report there, we're planning to go in mid April and now no need to bother purchasing express passes.

Also I have a couple of questions

Is there a creche area for babies? If not any idea if they operate a similar routine as per UK theme parks in that one parent queues and the other waits at the exit with the baby. Once the first parent exits the ride the other parent hands over the baby and is allowed to walk straight on without the need of having to queue again.

Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Detailed Trip Report: Universal Studios Singapore 22-Mar'10

USS has a kids club for 3yo and above, and I am not sure whether they will take care of babies (as they are more "delicate" to handle).

The "Child Swap" program is available at USS. Please refer to Guest Services on the left as you enter the park.

Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Detailed Trip Report: Universal Studios Singapore 22-Mar'10

We were planning on going Easter Monday. I'm wondering how large the crowds will be on the holiday weekend and thinking that perhaps Saturday 3rd April would be better??

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Detailed Trip Report: Universal Studios Singapore 22-Mar'10

Hi Kevin

I am so delighted that you went to USS. I have been eagerly waiting for someone to write a review and yours is full of really helpful info.

We have tickets for 1 April which I purchased on 10 March so I hope we come under the soft opening period and get our $15 credit.

How did they give you the $15 credit when you only swipe the ticket at the gate? I presumed that you would be handed the credit on entry????? I emailed them to ask about obtaining the credit on 11 March but have not had a reply.

How much was your hot dog? Is the food really expensive?

Thanks again for taking the time to write such an informative review.

Cheers

Pam

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,598 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Detailed Trip Report: Universal Studios Singapore 22-Mar'10

thanks Kevin for your report and the infos you provided.

I hope I'll come back soon and visit USS :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Detailed Trip Report: Universal Studios Singapore 22-Mar'10

Thanks Kevin...that was a very interesting and informative report! I'm sure the kids will want to check USS next time we are in Singapore!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Detailed Trip Report: Universal Studios Singapore 22-Mar'10

Hi Pamies,

1) I can't be very sure, but I thought I did read somewhere that all tickets for visits between 18-Mar to 18-Apr would come with the $10 Meal Voucher and $5 Retail Voucher.

2) My friend got the tickets at the ticketing booth so he was given the vouchers immediately. However, if you bought the tickets online, I believe that you may have to exchange your confirmation letter for the park tickets. But don't worry, the park entry staffers would be happy to guide you.

3) You should be given the vouchers, otherwise just ask the park entry staffers if you did not get them.

4) I forgot to mention in my report that you can pick-up a free copy of "Rider's Guide for Rider's Safety". This is a guide that gives more details about the minimium requirements and minimium safety admission for each ride.

5) The roller coaster rides that is not suitable for seniors and people with heart issues or health issues are Battlestar Galactica (Extreme), Revenge of the Mummy (Extreme), Enchanted Airways (Moderate), Canopy Flyer (Moderate), Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure (Moderate).

6) A Sausage (choice of Italian, Swss and Geraman sausages) Combo meal on a crusty bun (like a soft baguette) with some thick-cut fries on the sides including a soda drink cost about $10 to $12. Use the $10 meal voucher for lunch, and all you need is to top-up the balance of $1 to $2. I did post a picture of the Fossil Fuels Menu at the link above. You can click on the photo to zoom in on the picture.

7) I realised that most combo meals cost about $10 to $15. The combo meals may or may not come with a drink. My sausage meal comes with a drink whereas my friend who bought the Beef Rendang combo meal did not come with a drink which cost extra.

8) Hot Dog Combo Meals are cheaper than the Sausage Combo Meals. The cheapest Hot Dog Meal cost $9.80. The most expensive Sausage Meal cost $11.80. In my opinion, the Sausage Meal is much better than the Hot Dog Meal.

Edited: 24 March 2010, 13:26