We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

28 hours Transit ....'Singapore Or Hong Kong' ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
28 hours Transit ....'Singapore Or Hong Kong' ?

Hello friends,

We are heading to India from Australia in Oct-2011.

We have option of stoppage either in Singapore Or Hong-Kong for about 24 hours (reaching at 5pm and departure on next day 7pm)

We are more interested in a city sightseeeing and photography.

As far as Transit Visa is concerned we require it in Singapore but not required in HK. Hence need your help in deciding which is better place for stoppage ?

Thanks,

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 28 hours Transit ....'Singapore Or Hong Kong' ?

If you want sightseeing n photography then Singapore is it. You can head to Chinatown, Little India, Arab Street, Singapore River n take the 30 min bum boat cruise, Botanical n Orchird Garden, Raffles Hotel, MBS skypark that gives awesome views from the top, just to name a few.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,235 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 28 hours Transit ....'Singapore Or Hong Kong' ?

If you`ve never been in both destinations ( SIN and HK) and one of them does not require a visa ( HK) i would connect there and postpone SIN for future..

Additionally: hotels in HK are generally cheaper.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 28 hours Transit ....'Singapore Or Hong Kong' ?

From a photographers point of view, there is probably more of interest in Singapore - you have so many cultures mixing and mingling and so there's the opportunity to photograph Hindu Temples, Churches, mosques, Buddhist temples, Old Colonial Singapore, China Town, Little India - it's a wonderful blend of old and new.

HK also has merit - the views from the Peak are amazing and there's still a lot of back street markets worthy of shooting.

Singapore is more multicultural so there is a greater variety of food available.

HK is definitely cheaper, both for accommodation and dining out.

If you put your question on the HK forum you will get as many reasons to visit there as you do to visit Sing here.

Tough call!

Edited: 12 June 2011, 07:43
london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 28 hours Transit ....'Singapore Or Hong Kong' ?

This has thread been posted both here and on the HK forum.

The answers here on the Singapore forum come down in favour of Singapore, where as those on the HK forum are in favour of there.

Now isnt that a surprise. I guess we are lucky that you did not have the option of a stop in Kuala Lumpa as well

So just to mix it up a bit, I am going to place my vote for Hong Kong

Edited: 12 June 2011, 08:07
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
73 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 28 hours Transit ....'Singapore Or Hong Kong' ?

Since you are heading to India, and if thats your first trip to India, maybe Singapore is a good stepping stone since it has a sizeable indian population there. Start off with a visit to Little India/ Serangoon and check out Mustafa Centre.

I will choose Hong Kong if I want two distinct vacation trip combined into one.

Singapore
Level Contributor
160 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 28 hours Transit ....'Singapore Or Hong Kong' ?

Both are nice places to visit.

Both places are well-known for food and shopping.

you may like to look at the tourism websites of both countries

Weather - Singapore ( all time warm and humid, rains from time to time)

Hong Kong, it will be autumn in Oct, so the weather should be quite nice)

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,978 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 28 hours Transit ....'Singapore Or Hong Kong' ?

Check if you qualify for Visa Free Transit in Singapore. Available fore stays of 96 hours or less. Flying via Singapore seems a much shorter journey.

8. Re: 28 hours Transit ....'Singapore Or Hong Kong' ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 01:19