We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

e-Cigarettes

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
393 reviews
531 helpful votes
e-Cigarettes
Save

I'll be traveling to Singapore for the nth time next month and I'm thinking of bringing my electronic cigarette. Are e-cigarettes allowed or is there some kind of regulation in place?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
123 reviews
4,370 helpful votes
1. Re: e-Cigarettes
Save

Interesting question, never before discussed on SIN TA forum. Thanks for bringing up smth new.

BUT... i have no answer -

i suggest to ask Singapore customs and get the reply from the first hands ( they are VERY prompt with the answers to the visitors)

http://www.customs.gov.sg/mis/fee/

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,968 posts
18 reviews
119 helpful votes
2. Re: e-Cigarettes
Save

You could ask Customs the question but it really doesn't look good on the face of it. If you look at the SIngapore Customs website at

http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/trav/Controlled+and+Prohibited+Goods.htm

At the bottom there is specifies imitation tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes - that e.g. Electronic Cigarettes is a fairly new link, I'm reasonably certain that it was not there a couple of weeks ago when I looked and it links to a page put up in May this year

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/publish/hsaportal/en/health_products_regulation/tobacco/legislation/highlights___prohibition.html

Looks pretty much like a blanket ban on e-cigarettes to me.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
393 reviews
531 helpful votes
3. Re: e-Cigarettes
Save

Thank you both for your prompt feedback. Bummer! I was hoping I can take my e-cig with me since a pack of cigs in SG costs much more than a carton of cigs of the same brand here!

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
123 reviews
4,370 helpful votes
4. Re: e-Cigarettes
Save

May be to quit smoking will be the MOST economy wise decision?????!!!!!! LOL

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6,254 posts
10 reviews
41 helpful votes
5. Re: e-Cigarettes
Save

There is always a mis-interpretation by overseas visitors. Just like gum, it is illegal to import and sell e-cigs in Singapore. No harm if it is your own and you use it for yourself. You are not going to get a stripped search at customs.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
393 reviews
531 helpful votes
6. Re: e-Cigarettes
Save

@Schonefeld...lol! That's the reason why I shifted to e-cigs. It's gaining popularity here and it's use is allowed in all places where cigs aren't which is almost anywhere nowadays. Even used it in a plane once hehe.

@Kevin-sg...good point there. The customs site only says importation, distribution, sale or offer for sale but no mention of personal use. I emailed customs just the same and awaiting their reply. Thanks!

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,968 posts
18 reviews
119 helpful votes
7. Re: e-Cigarettes
Save

Umm, the limit you need to cover would be the importation bit and there was no mention of a personal use allowance (the basis of such things as duty free entry of alcohol) .

As pointed out by Kevin they are not going to routinely strip search everyone and so its unlikely to find them but just as with gum and cigarettes the official line is 'No' or 'No with specified exceptions' - I know of people who have been stopped and had those particular articles removed from them, which means some people are stopped and lose out, however rare it may be (I cannot remember the last time I was stopped on entry at Singapore, must have been 20 years ago at least) hence my comment to ask Customs how strictly they apply regulations, rather than make that decision for them.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
393 reviews
531 helpful votes
8. Re: e-Cigarettes
Save

@myrm...got your point that's why I've written customs using the link that you gave. Thanks! I have yet to receive a reply though. Through my numerous trips to SG, I usually just breeze through immigrations and customs without incident regardless of what I have. Just want to have some piece of mind I guess and a relaxing visit.

Edited: 9 years ago
Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
393 reviews
531 helpful votes
9. Re: e-Cigarettes
Save

For future reference, the following is the reply I received after I emailed Singapore Customs using the link above:

We refer to your email dated 23 June 2011.

Electronic cigarettes are prohibited under Section 16 of the Tobacco (Control of Advertisements and Sale) Act (Chapter 309), which states that:

No person shall import, distribute, sell or offer for sale any confectionery or other food product or any toy or other article that is designed to resemble a tobacco product or the packaging of which is designed to resemble the packaging commonly associated with tobacco products.

The offence is punishable, on conviction, with a fine not exceeding $5,000 and in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, with a fine not exceeding $10,000.

Please refrain from bringing the said product into Singapore.

For any further clarifications, please contact the Tobacco Regulation Branch at 62138927. Thank you.

Yours Sincerely

Xavier Leong

Senior Regulatory Inspector

Tobacco Regulation Branch

Health Products Regulation Group

Health Sciences Authority

Edited: 9 years ago
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6,254 posts
10 reviews
41 helpful votes
10. Re: e-Cigarettes
Save

When you mentioned that you emailed... the first thing that went thru my mind is... "He will just get a standard reply. And the answer is likely to be a no."

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.