We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips

We would like to get a couple of day trips in to neighbouring states, while we are in Singapore, and I'd appreciate local experts thoughts on the following;

Malaysia - Johor Bahru or Melaka?

The bus trip to Melaka looks a long one for the kids and, though it looks a more interesting place, think we will just go over to JB. I have read some concerns over safety, any tips of the best way to get there, and avoid any hassles? It looks like the main activity is shopping, so any tips on what to buy, where to get it, and a good place for lunch?

Indonesia - Batam or Bintan?

I'm leaning towards Bintan as it looks a nicer place to take the family. However I have read that it is mainly resort complexes on the coast - can we still use the faciities if we are not guests, are there public beaches? Basically just want somewhere to chill out for a couple of hours, and again get a nice lunch. Any other options?

All suggestions welcome.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips

Bintan is the least hassle to go. Just take ferry. Yes the beaches are public beaches. Most resorts are near the beaches but the beaches have sea activities that are independently operated or, just chill out there.

Edited: 24 June 2011, 12:30
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,447 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips

How many days do you vacate in SIN in total?????

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips

7 days in total. There is probably more than enough to keep us occupied in SIN for that time, but Mrs EB has been twice before and I think she wants some extra stamps in her passport..........If we only do one trip it will be Bintan I think.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,447 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips

You`ll need Indonesian visa on arrival VOA ( 25 USD/ person - adult/ children, bring USD only in exact amount OR do not expect to see change, cash only, cards are not accepted), together with the ferry cost - does it worth the hassle????? Especially with the prospect that there is nothing to see/ do over there except may be a meal in one of the hotels?????

5. Re: Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 03:18