We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with 4 year old for 1 week in Singapore

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sweden
Level Contributor
7 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with 4 year old for 1 week in Singapore

Hi

I've just found out that I will be travelling to Singapore with my husband in mid July. He will be working whilst I entertain our 4 year old son.

I'm looking for advice on how I can keep the little man happy. We'll be staying at the Carlton Hotel which I believe is very close to Orchard Rd.

I know it's going to be very humid there so perhaps it's crazy to think that we'll be able to venture out in the daytimes (we're travelling from the UK and aren't particularly used to humid weather). Would the plan be better to stay at the pool during the days and then go out in the evenings when it's cooler?

Are there any fun things to do in Singapore for a 4 year old? I like to shop but know that my son will tolerate that only for perhaps one day.

What attractions would you recommend that I take him to, either daytime or evening?

Thanks

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,670 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with 4 year old for 1 week in Singapore

Humidity can be an issue but if you keep to a slower walking pace than normal and pop in to buildings for a free hot of airconditioning then its usually fine. Most visitors to singapore from outside asia come from cooler climes and are fine. Carlton is a nice hotel in a perfect location. You car pretty much next to MRT staions and interlinked shopping malls (you can spend a hole day walking around and never the see the sun if you want.

Kids might like the Singapore Flyer (like the London Eye, just bigger), May be he will enjoy a boat trip on the river of ride on one of those amphibious vehicles used by DUCK Tours. Sentosa will normally keep a child happy for whole week (beech, rides, playgrounds, Universal studios etc..). Then there are the staple attactions - The Zoo, Bird Park and Night Safari. Science centre has many hands on things to fiddle with.

Midday to around 3pm tends to the warmest - probably the best time for the pool.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with 4 year old for 1 week in Singapore

Carlton is very near many shopping malls, the nearest is Raffles City. Just head there if u need some aircon.

There is zoo, jurong bird park, night safari, universal studios, etc. Parks is best done in the morning if u cannot take the humidity.

U cant't be staying in or around pools everyday. It will still be hot....

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with 4 year old for 1 week in Singapore

Some of the malls are equiped with kid's playground. I know there is one at Maraina Square level 3. You can walk to City Hall MRT station for some shopping at Raffles City (just across the traffic junction from your hotel). Using the underground linkway, you can further shop around all the way towards Marina Square and Sunctec City mall. There is a Carrefour at Suntec where you find plenty of toys for him to be entertain. Not enough? Well, then just ask around or check out the mall directory, There is a Toy R' Us at Level 3. Hope that would be a WIN-WIN for both of you.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,447 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with 4 year old for 1 week in Singapore

do not miss this place

http://www.buildabear.com.sg/locations

Sweden
Level Contributor
7 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with 4 year old for 1 week in Singapore

Some great suggestions there, thanks. Sentosa looks very interesting I will have to take a closer look at that. Is it outside the city? The play area at the shopping mall is another thing I will definitely make a note of too. The zoo was on my list of things to do. A boat trip would be nice.

Seems like a week won't be long enough!

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with 4 year old for 1 week in Singapore

Hi scotsjej,

I will also be visiting Singapore with two young children, some of the other options I have added to the shortlist include;

East Coast Park - beach and cycle hire, there is a place called Our Family Corner which hires adults and kids bikes by the hour. Plenty of places to eat, sounds like a nice place to spend the day.

West Coast Park - sandpit and play area for kids.

Wild Wild Wet water park and Escape Theme Park at Pasir Ris. The theme park doesn't sound particularly exciting, but the rides seem Ok for small kids.

Jurong East Swimming complex - outdoor pools with wave pool and slides

Palawan Beach on Sentosa - sounds like the best beach for kids, and next to the Dolphin Lagoon. Lots of other stuff to do on Sentosa, but I have ruled out Universal Studios, as I think most of the rides will be too scary for mine!

Be interesting to get more feedback on the above suggestions from locals....

Sweden
Level Contributor
7 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with 4 year old for 1 week in Singapore

Hi

Lot's of interesting things listed there, particularly for young kids. When are you travelling to Singapore? We can perhaps update each other, depending on whom travels there first:)

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do with 4 year old for 1 week in Singapore

Not until August - so looks like you wil beat me to it! Be sure to post a trip report ;0)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do with 4 year old for 1 week in Singapore

hey EalingBlue, i saw your itinerary.

East Coast Park -

West Coast Park -

you might want to choose one of the two from the above, as both are slightly similar. however, east coast is a more popular park with more things to do, whilst west coast park is more for people who want to get away from the crowd.

Wild Wild Wet water park and Escape Theme Park at Pasir Ris.

consider skipping this as the escape theme park really pales in comparison to USS. and if you're gg to jurong east swimming complex, they mostly have everything that wild wild wet offers, but at a much cheaper price.

Jurong East Swimming complex

good choice for kids!

Palawan Beach on Sentosa

Sentosa is a good place for kids. many things to explore down there and with good food to top it all up to make for a great experience! and with regards to your worries about uss, actually it's more than just thrill rides, and if your kids are young and not able to take the bigger rides, there are many small rides around, surrounded by beautiful settings as well as filled with a few exciting shows to watch. def must go! young kids will enjoy it for sure, even without taking any of the thrill rides. (: plus if you're considering, you can spend 2 days in sentosa, 1 day for uss and maybe songs of the sea (another kid favourite), and another day for the beaches, underwaterworld and other attractions. also worth checking out are the various restaurants around the island (many you can't find on mainland singapore, and my personal favourite is ilLido).

enjoy your trip in singapore, and i hope my comments helped in little ways! (:

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do with 4 year old for 1 week in Singapore

There are some difference between both JE swimming complex and WWW

You have more in WWW, but the price is much higher. So if you are not fussy with rides, JE swimming complex would be good. However, should you want more, WWW would be better choice. The escape Theme park next to WWW is a mute version of USS with lesser stuff and less scary ride, more like traditional type of rides. Check up the sites below for info.

www.wildwildwet.com/attractions/rides.aspx

escapethemepark.com.sg/attractions/index.aspx