We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airlines from Manchester (via Munich)

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Topic
Singapore Airlines from Manchester (via Munich)

I am flying to Singapore on Thursday and as usual am flying Singapore Airlines from Manchester.

Of course now my flight goes via Munich - does anyone know if I have to get off the plane at Munich or do I stay on board? And if I do have to get off (its only an hours stop so doesn't seem worth the hassle) am I treated as being in transit (this will affect whether I can buy duty free on the way home!).

Thank you,

Juliet

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
59,789 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Airlines from Manchester (via Munich)

1/ YES you are supposed to leave the plane in Munich, but will continue on on the same board. Only cabin crew may change. Leaving the plane is mandatory ( even if i seems not worth the hassle).

2/ your status will *short transit* passenger. You are to get all your hand luggage together with you and go through security screening before boarding.

3/ Buying duty free (alcohol) is allowed only in the interim stop before the final destination. Example: if flying to SIN from MAN you buy duty free in the departure point, it will be confiscated in Munich.

Edited: 18 September 2011, 10:22
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,626 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Airlines from Manchester (via Munich)

''Buying duty free (alcohol) is allowed only in the interim stop before the final destination. Example: if flying to SIN from MAN you buy duty free in the departure point, it will be confiscated in Munich''.

No it won't.

We, and most other people judging by their hand luggage, bought alcohol and other purchases in Singapore duty free, and carried it through the1-1/2- 2hr (approx)stopover in Munich.

The stopover in Munich, getting on/off nonsense, is something to do E.U regulations and does seem a complete waste of time, typical E.U. rules for the sake of rules, but apparently the first port of call in the E.U. has to be observed as having ''landed'', and the guys in Munich go through EVERYTHING, very boring.

Alan.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,841 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Airlines from Manchester (via Munich)

Changi has been on the EU approved airport list for security regarding Liquids Aerosols and Liquids since December 2007. So no problems bring duty free from Changi.

Furthermore, from April 2011, any passenger transfering through an EU airport can bring in Duty Free if it is sealed in tamper evident bags with a receipt dated within the last 36hours, regardless of which airport they are flying in from.

So in short, no problems bringing back duty free.

Edited: 18 September 2011, 13:03
Mentioned in this post
Changi Airport
Changi Airport
Singapore, Singapore
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Airlines from Manchester (via Munich)

Thank you! Seems very daft having to get off but I am not surprised.

Any views on how good or bad the food was? I have visions of sauerkraut being loaded on at Munich for the flight to Singapore!

Juliet

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
59,789 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Airlines from Manchester (via Munich)

you`re welcome.

Enjoy your flight and travel safely!

@@@@@@@@@@@@

<<Furthermore, from April 2011, any passenger transfering through an EU airport can bring in Duty Free if it is sealed in tamper evident bags with a receipt dated within the last 36hours, regardless of which airport they are flying in from.>>

Mankster, thanks for the update.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore Airlines from Manchester (via Munich)

My partner arrived back from the UK on Friday night on SIA.

She believes that the food quality has taken a dive lately on Singapore.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,575 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore Airlines from Manchester (via Munich)

Hi

I have done this flight quite a few times and will be doing it again in a couple of weeks.

Yes, you do have to leave the aircraft at Munich on the outbound journey but on the return journey you have to stay on the aircraft at Munich! Very strange I know. Security and the cleaners have to clean around everyone. Would be much better if passengers could disembark.

I have always found the food on Singapore Airlines quite palatable but then I do tend to get the munchies when I am flying.

Enjoy your flight.

Lesley

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,626 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore Airlines from Manchester (via Munich)

''Yes, you do have to leave the aircraft at Munich on the outbound journey but on the return journey you have to stay on the aircraft at Munich! Very strange I know''

They must have changed the system,(again) last year we returned to the UK on the 2nd of Apri,l having had a month in Singapore.

We didn't stopover on the outbound journey, it hadn't kicked in by then, but we did on the return journey and we HAD to exit the plane complete with all hand luggage.

Is it the case that one ONLY ''stops-over'' on the outbound trip, but NOT on the homebound journey, and that we don't leave the plane?

Could we please clarify this ?

Alan.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,575 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore Airlines from Manchester (via Munich)

Hi

It could depend on what time the flight arrives in Munich.

I did this flight twice in 2010 and have done it once in 2011. Every time we left the aircraft on the outbound flight and stayed on on the inbound flight.

If you can hang on a couple of weeks I shall be doing it again and can update you.

Lesley

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore Airlines from Manchester (via Munich)

Is the stopover not related to tax issues - if people stay on it gets treated as a long haul departure for the last hop, but if they take everyone off both ways they can say the Munich - London leg is a separateflight and therefore an EU internal flight with only the local lower tax bracket costed in?