We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Major problem with Tiger Airways

Singapore
8 posts
Save Topic
Major problem with Tiger Airways

Has anyone had a problem with this airline? My flight to Phuket has not yet even departed and already I'm appalled by Tiger Airways' frustrating lack of customer care. My partner and I discovered more than a month ago that we had been charged twice for our flights to Phuket . They weren't especially 'bargain' flights, either. Now, several weeks, many phonecalls, and some disappointing let-downs later, we are still waiting for our money to be refunded. Tiger has admitted liability, but appears slow to help, reluctant to apologise and difficult to contact. Be warned!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Major problem with Tiger Airways

Angry Tiger

You Prolly like to write to the Straits Times Forum, Which I believe will get the Attention of the CEO (Tony Davis) or maybe someone from Singapore Airline would notice it.

I had a bad experience with their Inflight Sales (selling defective product, throu I eventually get the replacement). If U could dun get anything from the flight. Their service aint any better either and the plane is dirty. I tried once & would never be their customer again.

Did I tell U, I had to send many fax just to get the replacement.

australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Major problem with Tiger Airways

Tiger Airways are flying out of Darwin regularly and unfortunately we are not getting any local press on their bad service to asian destinations. Travel Agents are rumbling about them and their appalling attitude to customers. lost baggage, non-existent bookings that have been paid for etc. common on Darwin travellers lets hear about their performance before we get bitten by the Tiger..

Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Major problem with Tiger Airways

Thank you, both, for replying. Tiger have now agreed to refund not only the mistakenly billed amount, but also the cost of our tickets, after we faxed/called (several times!) to say that we no longer wish to fly with them. I'm so disappointed that we're not going to Thailand now, but if Tiger cannot even deal with simple matters of money, then I didn't want to trust them with our holiday! The money is not yet back in my account, however, so I'm not celebrating just yet...

Sadly, Tiger Airways have not agreed to reimburse us for the transaction charges levied by my bank, the numerous phonecalls to their call centre, or the two Saturday afternoons wasted by traipsing to the airport/Tiger office to seek a real human being to help us! We're very disappointed with the service and would recommend avoiding Tiger if you can.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Major problem with Tiger Airways

Hey,

Have never tried Tiger Airways but I'm surprised that their service is such - since their backer is Singapore Airlines, known for its excellent service.

Of the budget carriers, I've only tried Jetstar Asia and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by the seats, baggage allowance and service we'd received on our last trip to Bangkok. Their fares are as competitive as those of Air Asia and Tiger but I've not heard much complaints thus far. In fact, I'm travelling again with them to Phuket this July with their $8 Thailand specials.

Maybe you guys can give Jetstar Asia a chance next time you wanna go somewhere near?

Just my two cents' worth ...

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Major problem with Tiger Airways

I flew Jetstar to Hong Kong last year and like baby Checkers (wink) I was very pleasantly surprised by what I got for my $44 ticket. No hassles getting ticketed (allocated seating too, not a free for all) and lots of smiles from a very laid back crew. I'd fly with them again without hesitation.

Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Major problem with Tiger Airways

Yes, we were surprised - Singapore Airlines provide an excellent service. We flew to South Korea with them over Christmas and they were wonderful. Thank you for the tips on JetStarAsia, we will give them a try later this year. Meanwhile, still no refund from Tiger...roaaaar!

Singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Major problem with Tiger Airways

hmmm... did you click twice to book...? not quite sure being a shareholder has a say on how the company is supposed to be run... Tigerairways has its own Mr Tony Davis as CEO... Tiger and SIA related? Yes, but, not quite... (just my 2-cents)

Hope you got your refund soon =)

Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Major problem with Tiger Airways

No, I didn't click twice! The money was taken out on the January 26...and then again on February 7. And we still don't have our money back.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Major problem with Tiger Airways

I guess that's the downside of taking chances with a budget airline. I too blew off a roundtrip airfare Manila-Macau for three persons. Purchased the tickets online November 2005 for a March 2 2006 flight to Macau, tempted because of the oh so low price. Only to find out later that they are having problems with the local aviation regarding their permit. Their permit for Manila-Macau flights were cancelled in January and since then they keep on getting 30 day Temporary Permits to operate here. Our supposed flight was March 2 and until February 20 there was no word on any extension. Same problem, no customer service number here in Manila and we had to call Singapore, and they also had no reply. I didnt book my hotels since there was no guarantee from Tiger that the flight will push through. So I decided to book another airline and finalize our accomodations. A few days before the end of February I liearned that they got another temporary extension. So of course, as their website states, flight tickets are non refundable. So I was exploring to rebook, and well, the price is almost double when rebooking for a different date rather than getting a new ticket, so it was a logical choice. But unlike angrrrry-tigerrr, I didnt bother to fight for a refund and incur further costs in doing so.

My decision, like you is to warn future travellers to, if possible avoid this airline. I know some people who have flown with Tiger and are okay with the airline as they say - you get what you pay for. There are a lot of stuff they dont understand though. Why the 15kg allowance? Other budget carriers allow the normal 20kg limit. Obviously they earn a lot from excess baggage fees. Also why the free for all seating? My friends experienced the mad rush to get seats - it was quite chaotic they say.

I'll be flying to Singapore next week and stopping by Hongkong via Jetsar. Heard a lot of good things about Jetstar and so far, have not heard any bad reviews. Will post my experiences early April.

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Major problem with Tiger Airways

Hey Impulsetraveller, I'd be interested to know how you find Jetstar. It's been a year since I flew with them and I'm wondering if my experience was good only because they were new at the time. Cheers