We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels question -- want to see a different side to Singapore

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels question -- want to see a different side to Singapore

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Singapore for four days and am looking for a new area to stay in. I've been to Singapore so many times but want to see a different side to Bugis, Orchard or Marina Bay areas, where I've stayed many times before.

Looking to relax and as I said, see a different side to SG than my regular shopping and eating extravaganzas. I've looked into the Mercure Roxy on East Coast, as I have faint memories of visiting that area on a quick stopover in my backpacking days. What do you think?

Is there any other area you can recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Maxwell Food Centre
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
ION Orchard
Observatories & Planetariums, Shopping Malls
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels question -- want to see a different side to Singapore

It sounds like the ''Changi Village Hotel'' might be right up your street, I've been there and it's a fabulous place to stay, a great chef in Robert who will cook up anything your hearts desires, if he can, with a roof-top pool to die for.

Changi village and beach is quite the most charming places to wander.

It's a very peaceful area, close to Pulau Ubin Island, an experience as far away from ''Singapore'' as a person could wish.

I hope these suggestions help.

Good luck. Alan

yoursingapore.com/content/…

stayfareast.com/hotels/changi-village-hotel.…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
363 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels question -- want to see a different side to Singapore

mercure roxy is in a residential part of town so you would have quite a different experience from orchard road/marina bay. changi village hotel is even further out, so if you want some peace and quiet it's a great place to be. if you're staying at changi village hotel, you should definitely make a trip to pulau ubin if you haven't already. you can even do a kayaking tour of the mangroves there.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,820 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels question -- want to see a different side to Singapore

Hi you may consider Joo Chiat area: yoursingapore.com/content/traveller/en/brows…

Also if you don't mind about its reputation of being a red light district you may consider Geylang, a very lively, safe and interesting residential area: yoursingapore.com/content/…geylang.html

Just avoid hotels having hourly rates (hotel81, fragrance, ...).

Edited: 26 August 2012, 13:58
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,552 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels question -- want to see a different side to Singapore

You wonhtt get more different than this http://www.dkranji.com.sg/

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels question -- want to see a different side to Singapore

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I like the look of Joo Chiat/Katong and Changi Village. Now all I have to do is decide where with my other half. Big thanks again, looking forward to seeing a different side of Singapore and staying for a longer time, there's only so much shopping one needs to do!

manila
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels question -- want to see a different side to Singapore

You may also want to look at Tiong Bahru district. Stayed twice at the Wangz Hotel and highly recommend it.

You're not that far from Chinatown and Clarke Quay, but the area is residential next to a university campus. Good access to public transport (Outram Park and Tiong Bahru MRT stations, Blk 55 and Eton Preschool bus stops are all within 600 metres of each other.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels question -- want to see a different side to Singapore

Totally agree viajero - this place is a hidden gem considering its very close proximity to Orchard and Chinatown and yet providing a unique experience in a residential enclave. =)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
583 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels question -- want to see a different side to Singapore

Stop promoting this hotel LoL My hubby uses it every 2 weeks for business and we cant get in a lot of the time now as its always booked. Nice hotel though away from the hussle bussle but close enough to get around.

manila
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels question -- want to see a different side to Singapore

@sunshinegirl... Sorry, can't help it. Been to Singapore quite often last year and my top 2 hotels were the Wangz and Conrad. Yeah, the former has a limited number of rooms so booking can be difficult.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels question -- want to see a different side to Singapore

Thanks for the further suggestions. Wangz hotel looks lovely but it says no rooms available for my booking dates... wonder if it's just too early or really that popular!