We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What To Wear

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
What To Wear

I am travelling to Singapore in 2 weeks and wonder what the acceptable attire for ladies is. I have read some sites stating short shorts, sleeveless tops and low cut tops are unacceptable and then the next site says that is ok? Can anyone please shed some light.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What To Wear

I think we all know what we mean when we say dress, ''respectfully'', having ''bits'' hanging out is not respectful.

All the things you've listed, (''low cut'' ''short shorts'' within limits), are mostly OK for walking about, but temples and some public buildings/shops might be offended by ''unacceptable'' displays of flesh, indeed there are laws that will be enforced, but as I said, we all know the parameters and if we don't then perhaps Singapore might not be the place to visit.

Alan

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What To Wear

No bits will ever be hanging out. For example, I would only pack only tops WITH sleeves if spaghetti straps are frowned upon, and would only pack Capri pants if short shorts are frowned upon.

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What To Wear

Hi.

Short shorts, sleeveless and low cut tops are fine in most sightseeing places (locals wear them too!) but may be frowned upon at places of worship and high-end eating establishments with a dress code.

T-shirts and jeans are most commonly seen here.

Cheers!

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
436 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What To Wear

There is nothing wrong with short etc but you do sometimes get stared at in them. I have very pale skin & rather short with black hair & I get stared at all the time over there even when dressed very respectfully. If you plan to Go to temples you must cover up

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What To Wear

Last time I looked, sleeveless low cut tops were quite common in high end eating establishments.

Personally, I find these sort of places air conditioned to Arctic temperatures so I cover up more for comfort than because of any dress code.

Just be sure to cover up if going into places of worship. My experience has been that there is usually someone there to offer you something suitable to cover yourself with if you don't meet the standards.

By all means wear shorts if you've got the legs.

I find loose fitting dresses much cooler than shorts or pants that cling around the waist. Depends on how well you handle the heat and humidity.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
583 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What To Wear

A lot of women wear spaghetti straps but as someone aptly put it no bits hanging out. I'm to heavy for short shorts so I just wear cropped trousers or knee length shorts. Cotton preferably as it gets so hot and humid at times.

Loose fitting dresses are good and I sometimes wear leggings with a nice long cotton blouse.

To be honest comfort is more essential than style when you are out sightseeing. My body swells in the heat so the looser the better. I just go for smart casual at night.

A good comfortable pair of sandals or shoes is essential.

Edited: 30 August 2012, 05:33
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What To Wear

I think if you look presentable, nobody would bat an eyelid. Shorts are fine, we are an tropical city anyway.

Ambler...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: What To Wear

I was in Singapore and Vietnam for 2 months this past winter. The heat and humidity is so intense that even the lightest clothes I packed were soaking by mid-afternoon when sightseeing. Was amazed to see Singaporeans wearing long-sleeved shirts and long pants or jeans! I opted for light unstructured dresses, shorts and sleeveless t's, and loose cotton pants. I wore only cotton. I'd say it's impossible to stay looking unruffled and cool in Singapore, so once I accepted that my clothing seemed not an issue for me. Stay as cool as you can so you can enjoy beautiful Singapore and Vietnam.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
50,609 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What To Wear

<<What To Wear>>

Just anything is what you`ll feel comfortable in the equatorial climate ( hot and humidity) and look decent. Some high end places and posh restaurants do have a dress code, please check before booking.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
19,957 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What To Wear

Hello,

Just wear smart casual clothes - appropriate for the heat and humidity and the context, eg. shorts and t-shirts and sandles for Sentosa beach, Universal Studios and eating in cafes. Then If you are heading to Raffles Hotel for High Tea or shopping in fancy high-end stores, or eating in expensive restaurants, then stay cool and comfortable, but wear something a little more dressy.

I have seen shawls available for use at the entrance to the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple in Chinatown for women to cover their shoulders when wearing sleeveless tops.

For further discussion on this topic please read the Top Questions link on the right side of this page titled - Planning - Dress Code/What to Wear

Edited: 22 August 2013, 04:12