We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New MRT standard ticket

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,996 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
New MRT standard ticket

Hi All Visitor to Singapore

This is a piece of Good News for those who visit us in Singapore. More Details:

…asiaone.com/news/transport/story/new-mrt-st…

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,496 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New MRT standard ticket

Me^Only,

Thanks for sharing....

Very useful link and indeed FAR better travel scheme for visitors.....

The new Standard Ticket scheme, which has been progressively implemented since November 2012 is now operational island-wide. - See more at: …asiaone.com/news/…sthash.9yTNDnBl.dpuf

The new standard ticket can be used up to six times within 30 days from the date of purchase, and requires a lower deposit of 10 cents, which is automatically returned through a 10-cent offset on a passenger's third trip using the ticket. Passengers are given a further incentive to reuse the ticket with a 10 cent discount on the sixth and final trip. - See more at: …asiaone.com/news/…sthash.9yTNDnBl.dpuf

###############################

can anyone send me a used ticket as gift????? please................

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
319 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New MRT standard ticket

I'm in Singapore 1 April I can send you one. I'm still unsure how this works, do you load it with money? If so how do you know how much 6 trips are because it matters where you go doesn't it?

Jo

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,996 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New MRT standard ticket

The Details from the report:

To further incentivise passengers to reuse the standard ticket and minimize wastage, a discount of 10 cents is given for the sixth trip. Presently, passengers using the current standard ticket have to buy a new ticket for each trip, with no discount given.

Passengers using the new Standard Ticket can also choose to buy a 'Return Trip' in addition to a 'Single Trip'. A maximum of two trips can be bought on the card at a time. Similar to today, trips bought on the Standard Ticket are valid for use on the date of ticket purchase and on the MRT/LRT. The current Standard Ticket allows only a single trip to be be bought on each ticket.

The 'Return Trip' option provides commuters who plan to travel back to the same original station the choice to buy two trips at the same time. For commuters who purchase the return trip, but decide not to return to the original station, they can still use the ticket by making a fare upgrade at the MRT station Passenger Service Centre if the fare paid is lesser than value of the return trip.

===> U top up with the same card before U travel. (Up to 6 trips)

Edited: 27 February 2013, 06:50
england
Level Contributor
522 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New MRT standard ticket

is this better value than using the ez link card?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,996 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New MRT standard ticket

In term of Deposit, yes Cos, The Adult Ez Link card (Blue colour) require a deposit of S$5 & the $5 card cost paid during the purchase of the card is non-refundable. :D But The Adult Ez Link can be Use on MRT/LRT, Bus & Even at McDonald to pay for Ur Meal :D.

However, the Standard Ez-Link Can Only be use on MRT / LRT & nothing else (As of now)

===> U can keep that The Adult Ez Link card as souvenir later too

This is on Adult Ez-Link ticket:

www.transitlink.com.sg/PSdetail.aspx…

This is for the Standard Ez-link Ticket (Green colour):

Edited: 27 February 2013, 16:17
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New MRT standard ticket

In other words orchidluv, if you think you will only make one visit to SG and will take almost exclusively MRTs, get the new card. If you think you want to visit again and plan to take a mix of MRT and buses, get EZ-link.

Note even if you don't have an EZ-link you can still take a bus, it's just that you have to pay cash (keep lots of coins handy as change is not given), and you will pay the full fare. With the EZ-link there are rebates for transfers etc.and of course don't forget to tap out before you exit.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,671 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New MRT standard ticket

I think the the new standard ticket is rather pointless for tourists, unless you are only expecting to make say 5-8 journeys and don't mind queuing up to buy tickets every time. The fares cost 10-30 cents more per ride than using EZLink, you still have to queue up to buy a fare for each journey, you can't change your mind mid journey ( say you bought a ticket to Orchard but on the way you decide you want to get off at City Hall instead to Raffles), and you don't get the rebate if you change from MRT to bus to e your journey ( going to the bird park/zoo etc).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New MRT standard ticket

OK - be gentle with me here, but I think I understand this new Standard Ticket business. But am I right?

Here goes.

You buy your first ticket for your first journey - the machine issues you with a Green ticket, which you use to tap on the reader at the station or on the bus. You tap off with the same ticket. But you hold on to the ticket - because for your next journey, you approach the machine, insert the ticket/card, select the journey you want to make, pay the amount shown and the machine gives you back the green ticket, this time with the code for the new journey saved on it. You can do this six times with the same ticket/card.

So as a visitor, it would be more economical for me (yes I am into saving a dollar here and there) to use this new green ticket/card. One saving would be that after the initial purchase of a S$12 Blue Ezy Card you need to re-charge in minimum amounts of S$10. With the green card, I am only charged 10c for the card, not $5. The downside is that I have to use the machine for each journey and the card only lasts for six journeys.

How am I going?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,260 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New MRT standard ticket

From what I can tell all you save is the $5 deposit? But then you have to constantly buy tickets and it's only for the MRT? Seems worth the five bucks to me just for the convenience.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,996 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New MRT standard ticket

You buy your first ticket for your first journey - the machine issues you with a Green ticket, which you use to tap on the reader at the station or on the bus. You tap off with the same ticket. But you hold on to the ticket - because for your next journey, you approach the machine, insert the ticket/card, select the journey you want to make, pay the amount shown and the machine gives you back the green ticket, this time with the code for the new journey saved on it. You can do this six times with the same ticket/card.

====> Yes, that wat it mean by "the card can be used up to six times within 30 days from the date of purchase"

===> How many trips can the ticket holder buy at any one time?

The ticket holder can pay for up to two trips i.e. single or return trip at any one time at any upgraded GTM.

===> Just NOTE:

However, the Standard Ez-Link Can Only be use on MRT / LRT & nothing else (As of now)

Example of how the new Standard Ticket scheme works:

1st Trip

If the fare for the first trip is $1, the passenger will need to pay $1.10. This comprises the $1 travel fare and the 10 cents deposit.

2nd trip

Passenger pays amount as per the travel fare for the second trip.

3rd trip

If the fare is $1, the passenger will only pay 90 cents as the deposit of 10 cents will be automatically returned through an off-set against passenger's fare on their third trip.

4th trip

Passenger pays amount as per the travel fare for the fourth trip.

5th trip

Passenger pays amount as per the travel fare for the fifth trip.

6th trip

If the fare for the sixth trip is $1, the passenger will only need to pay 90 cents due to the 10 cents discount given for the sixth trip.

The rest of the details can be found under: NEW STANDARD TICKET SCHEME - In the Link below:

*********************************************************************************************************

For the Adult Stored value Ez-Link Card (Blue):

===> Adult ez-link card cost $12 ($5 non-refundable card cost and $7 travel value) IF they are bought at TransitLink Ticket Offices, Concession Card Replacement Offices, Passenger Services Centres

===> At the 7-Eleven stores, you can purchase an ez-link card at $10 out of which $5 is stored value for your use. The remaining $5 is the cost of the card which is non-refundable.

===> So if U are going to use alot of MRT/LRT & Bus Or Combine of Both, U add more $$ into it.

The minimum amount that you can top-up is $10 and the maximum is $500.

===> Let's say I don't want to use my card any longer, can I get a refund?

Sure! Just head on down to any TransitLink Ticket Office and you will receive a refund of the remaining travel value in the card. Please note that the $5 card cost paid during the purchase of the card is non-refundable.

More Details on Adult Ez-Link stored value ticket here:

Hope this helps

Edited: 18 March 2013, 12:27