We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days in Singapore :-/

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Three days in Singapore :-/

I am travelling in a couple of weeks to the UK to visit my daughter - I have booked a quick 24 hours on the way there and two days on the way back in Singapore. I have booked to stay at The Hilton Hotel on Orchard Avenue. For my first 24 hour sprint, I am hoping to get some shopping done - not designer labels but more bargains. Can anybody give me the best places to shop for clothes, jewellry, nic nacs etc. On the way back for my two day sting, I have booked to have breakfast with the orangatans at the zoo. I also would like to try some chilli mud crab (any suggestions as the place to go for this?) and have high tea at Raffles. If there are any other suggestions that you think are better or that I should also squeeze in - please let me know. Thanks you guys in advance.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days in Singapore :-/

Hi there

About Crab, here one very recent link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294265-i1748-k622…

For High Tea, I like TWG at Marina Bay Sands, The Rose Veranda in Shangri-La Hotel & Regent hotel high tea:

…blog.com/2012/…

…blogspot.sg/2012/01/twg-tea-salon-boutique-…

===> I Love the Bain De Roses Tea

singaporeactually.com/2012/…

…wordpress.com/2013/…

Another Place U can try is House @ Dempsey:

http://www.dempseyhouse.com/

…blogspot.sg/2012/05/vintage-tea-party-house…

…wordpress.com/2012/…

Have Fun

Edited: 15 March 2013, 04:39
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
50,394 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days in Singapore :-/

For tradition high tea try tiffin room at the Raffles Hotel or The Goodwood Park Hotel.

Other suggestions;

1/ Fullerton Bay Hotel

2/ TWG tea salon.http://www.twgtea.com/

3/ Ritz Carlton hotel

4/ Marmalade Pantry in Orchard Central Shopping Center

5/ Singapore Flyer high tea

singaporeflyer.com/unique-experiences/…

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days in Singapore :-/

Annie,

For bargain shopping, try Far East Plaza on Scott's Road, about 10 minutes' walk from your hotel. Another place with a similar arrangement is Heeren further down on Orchard Road. Some people also recommend Bugis Village market although that depends on your tolerance for heat, humidity and crowds. Note Singapore is not cheap for shopping, in fact if after European brands like Zara Topshop and Mango, wait till you get to the UK for better prices.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days in Singapore :-/

Hm...a tricky one, but I also vote for Far East Plaza, but the clothes can be rather small (in size) and they are very trendy - and some are geared towards the Japanese fashion. Prices are very reasonable though. Plus it's not very far from the Hilton.

A local brand that is popular is Charles and Keith (they sell mainly shoes and bags/accessories). Some of their shoes are comfy , some aren't. it really depends on the person and their cut. it is also a local brand. You can find this anywhere - Ion (large shopping centre on Orchard Road).

I would honestly, since you don't have much time, just stick to Orchard Road and go into the boutiques/shops where you can't find the brands in Australia or the UK.

Chilli crab - if you don't wnat to travel far, I think the nearest place is Jumbo at Dempsey. You can google for more info. I don't know if their crabs are mud crabs or not though.

As for tea, House (at Dempsey) is quite interesting. it's quite a fusion of tastes, and you must make reservations - even on a weekday afternoon - and try to get a table near the food. Servings and portions are not big and sometimes, popular items get sold out and they replace them with other stuff.

Hope this helps!

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Three days in Singapore :-/

Thank you so much for replying - you were most helpful and I will check out your link :)

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Three days in Singapore :-/

Thank you to everybody who replied. You were all so helpful and I can't wait until I fly out next week. Happy Travels everybody :)

singapore
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three days in Singapore :-/

go to bugis village to buy plenty of clothes and food

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
50,394 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three days in Singapore :-/

Annie W,

Most welcome... happy planning!

9. Re: Three days in Singapore :-/

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2013, 08:38
10. Re: Three days in Singapore :-/

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 05:16