We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me Plan My 5 Days Trip to Singapore

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Help me Plan My 5 Days Trip to Singapore

Hi there

I need some help planning my trip to Singapore. I am making a detailed Itinerary for us which we will follow there.

This is my first time we are visiting Singapore so i request you to please help me plan this properly. So that we can have a great time there.

We are a 2 Couples and 1 Infant , One of the couple is going to stay at the Orchard Road (Age 30) and One in Jalan Besar(Age 55-65). We will be traveling together so every morning we would need a common place between Orchard Road and Jalan Besar or may be we can meet at one of our hotels depending on the place we are planning on visit on that day.

We are Pure Vegetarians so please some good budget places near Jalan Besar I think its near Little India where we can get good Indian Food at nominal prices.

We will be staying there for 5 Nights so please help me plan my trip accordingly.

We are going to to arrive on - Day 1 at around 2 Pm after which Lunch by 5 PM we will be free. Do suggest some places here too. Rest in the next 4 Days.

Below are the places i have planned on visiting , Request you to please go through them and help me arrange them properly maybe even suggest some more and put them so that we can visit them properly.

City Tour

River Safari

Night Safari

Jurong Park

Singapore Flyer

Songs of the Sea

Universal Studious

Sentosa

Singapore Zoo

And some other Attractions (Do Suggest) ....... And if time permit we can do Some Shopping but Shopping is our last priority.

Also the routes to get there from Orchard and Jalan Besar.

EZ Link Card - please suggest from where we can get it and how to use it.

Do suggest any websites from where we can get discounted rates for Attractions Online.

Thank you :)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
951 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me Plan My 5 Days Trip to Singapore

Hi, my suggested itinerary would be as follows:

Day 1 - night safari

day 2 - Zoo with river safari

day 3 - USS must watch crane dance show

day 4 - Sentosa - songs of sees can be skipped

day 5 - city tour - marina bay, esplande theater, Singapore flyer, marina sky park, gardens by the bay, orchid garden etc, may be a duck tour

day 6 - can visit jurong bird park depending upon flight timings..

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me Plan My 5 Days Trip to Singapore

If you have time to go to the Botanical Garden, which is free of charge, you won't regret that. There is an Orchid Garden within the the Botanical garden, that costs about Sgp 5 dollars per person. You don't have to be an orchid lover to appreciate the park, just the well kept landscape itself so worth a visit. Do bring insect repellent!. It is very easy to get to, just take MRT (mass railway transit), sooner you get out of the Botanical Garden MRTstation, the entrance to the Park is right there.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me Plan My 5 Days Trip to Singapore

Thanks a lot Kavita, but we don't have a 6th Day, we have 5 Day's... 4 & 1/2 to be exact and would like to see as much as we can in that time, 6th day we will be returning back to Malaysia by road mostly.

Thanks Winstery for suggesting Botanical Garden I am surely have a look at it and see where I can put it, but is it advisable to go there with an infant if you need insect repellent. Plus not much of a fan of plants.

Edited: 08 June 2013, 06:46
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me Plan My 5 Days Trip to Singapore

HI Bluebird,

Just a friendly suggestion based on my personal experience while I was in Singapore for 5 days, rather you decide to go to the Botanical/Orchid gardens or not, you should still prepare to bring insect repellent ( even for the sake of adults). We (4 adults) certainly glad that we had that on hand whenever we were near foliage environment. Even the day we went to the Garden by the Bay (to see those metal funnel like structure by the sea), standing still for less than a minute to take picture, we got bite by mosquitos. Looking at your list of places to go, they seem to involve safari and jungle environment (animals and still ponding water). I can only imagine it is worse than any gardens I mentioned, without the use of insect repellent. You may have to do some research on the repellent that is suitable for infant without deet, if that is what your main concern. I guess if you have a stroller that would help.

Anyway, I see that you don’t like plant, would any of your family members/friends feel the same? You may first check out some pictures from some reviwers on Tripadvisor (if you have not done that already) to see if Botanical/Orchid gardens really is something you want to skip while you are in Singapore. I certainly glad that I have seen it and would not trade any other places for that. But I also think having a stroller would be nice because the park is huge! Also a couples came along with us are seniors (55-65) as well, they did express being tired afterward, and it takes at least a half day to enjoy and taking pictures. My husband and I are seasoned travellers and we can walk!

We skipped the Night safari or zoo because at the time when we traveled, the HK Tour travel advisor suggested to stay away from bird due to the bird flu….We skipped the Flyer because we stayed at the Marina Bay Sands for one night where we could see the skyscapers…

We also traveled on our own without joining any tour (not even the local tour), why pay someone when you could read anything historical stories online these days, also they always have some signs posted at any tourist attractions anyway. Singapore gov’t seems to do anything they could to make ease for tourists, we took the MRT the whole entire time when we were there, never got on the bus system, did not want to bother with the surface road.

I see you want to get the EZ link card. We did not use that but did ask about it while we were there. If I understand it correctly from the clerk behind the MRT station booth, you pay Sgp $12 to buy the card, 5 dollars goes to the card (nonrefundable), 7 dollars value for you to start using the card, depends on the distance, it deducts each time you use the card, just swipe/tap it over the sensor at any system that takes the card. To add more value, just go to any 7/11 that will do. But when you are done and ready to leave the country, you do not get the 5 dollars back assume the remaining value as well, for the totally 4 adults of you, you be paying 20 dollars just to use the cards, seem high to me! Where to get it, for certain you can get it at any MRT station, I also heard you can get it at any 7/11, you can ask once you get into Singapore (people are very friendly) --assume you are driving from Malaysia since you asked for the routes…can’t help you on that. Just one reminder, you have to tap the card when you get on the bus/MRT, then tap the bus/MRT again when you get off; otherwise, the automatic deduction will be the highest fare of the routes of where the bus is going, even your travel distance may costs only Sgp 1.10. Sounds weird!

I understand you did not ask about the MRT. When we first landed at the Changi airport, we debated about getting a 3 days bus pass that cost 20 dollars, after finding out how cheap each fare costs to take MRT, we did not bother with the bus pass even it sounds good at first. The MRT system is so efficient, clean and fast, and the highest fare we seen was Sgp 2.40 each run, the rest is very cheap (closer distance). Often it cost us Sgp 1.90 to 2.10 zipping from Little India to Chinatown or to Botanical Garden…We moved our hotel from Little India to Marina Bay Sands on our last night stay, we just got on the MRT, then when we left the country, we took the MRT from the Sands to the Changi airport, so simple. Also you get Sgp 10 cent off each time and up to 6 trips when you keep using the same MRT card that you purchased from the first time. 10 cents is nothing but the ECO friendliness of it to save the tree is what we loved.

Just curious, if you have a car, why you need a EZ link card?

Also see you ask about vegetarian restaurant, we stayed at the Perak Hotel in Little India, so walking around that neighborhood for 3 days, we saw quite a lot of restaurants including vegetarian, so just walk around and take your pick. It is hard to recommend restaurant to a strange ;-) since we don’t know each other taste buds, my husband is not a pure vegetarian but he tries to order whenever he could for health reason. We ate at this place right on the street, I believe is called Buffalo Road, there is a black color railing along the curb and it fills with many grocery stores, by the Little India MRT exit, I can’t remember the name of the restaurant, the wall color is lime green inside the restaurant, the price is very reasonable for family, nothing fancy, each main dish cost about Sgp 5-7 dollars. My husband ordered this vegetarian dish that was very good, but pretty spicy. I guess, again, we don’t know what kind of spiciness you can handle. If we ever go back to Singapore, I would not mind to go back to this restaurant again. Just walk around the neighborhood, you find something, everything is very reasonable there in Little India.

Another suggestion on where to eat for reasonable taste and price, a friend of mine drove us to the finance district, where it is called the Suntec shopping center/buliding, she said you can take MRT to get there as well, inside the Suntec building #2 tower basement, there is a food court, we ordered few Indian vegetarian dishes too, they tasted good also. Ask any clerk inside the MRT station how to get there from where you are staying. Since it is a food court, your choice is not limited to India vegetarian food. There is that Rojak we ate was delicious, which is meatless.

Lastly, just to say 4 full day and 1/2 on the 5th day like the way we had in Singapore, no way, we will see all those stuff that you listed, unless you join a local tour and let them run your trip and tell you when to eat or when to walk....anyway, hope you enjoy you time there one way or other. We certainly did and will return for more.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me Plan My 5 Days Trip to Singapore

Bluebird, this is Winstery again, I just found the photos I took of this India restaurant at Little India. It is located on 36, Baffalo Road, Singapore 219797. The name is Abirami restaurant Pte Ltd, they have a website as well, www.abiramirestaurant.com, Tel 6297 7566, open at 10am to 11pm. The dish my husband ordered was vegetarian murtabak for $6. and we ordered some onion prata and onion dosai that cost only $1.60 and 2.20 a piece, respectively, all good. My friend ordered the chicken Briyani for 8.50, I am sure you can just order it without the meat. Enjoy if you do go.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me Plan My 5 Days Trip to Singapore

# Winstery

Very nicely and said in detail. Will certainly be helpful to OP.

Just some points. Ez Link cards is self paying. That is it gives you some discounts when you use the card viz-a-viz cash. Means that the S$5 non-refundable part, gets paid by itself if you use it fully or say S$7 or 10

# OP

The following is not worth seeing

City Tour

Songs of the Sea (Crane Dance at USS is much better and its free).

Do add up the following which are worth visiting.

Garden by the Bay.

SEA Aquarium

Adventure Cove Water Park.

There are quite a few places and decide according to your interests.

tripadvisor.in/Attractions-g294262-Activitie…

Regarding discounted attraction tickets, you may message me.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me Plan My 5 Days Trip to Singapore

Update - Now we all are staying at the Orchard Road hotel.

Thanks a lot Winstery for the efforts you put in explaining me about so many things i really appreciate you helping me planning my visit.

Yes, After reading about the Mosquito Repellent is a Must and i will get it for us.

Regarding Botanical Gardens/Orchid Gardens i saw the pics and it does look like a amazing place to be plus its ranked 2nd in the list of attractions so it sure looks like a great place but as you said we only have 4 & 1/2 days and its a short time we are already going to see a lot of them like but i'll surely see where we can put that in.

Winstery I don't have a car in Singapore :( will have to travel by MRT and Bus please do help me figuring out the MRT system i think i will have to use that too a lot.

EZ Link Card - I think if it gives any concessional rates then its something we can buy ,it also helps that we don't have to take tickets or carry exact change while traveling so that a plus, but haven't decided on it yet 5SG non-refundable is surely a negative , will read more about it , Fellow trippers do suggest on this if its something we should buy we will be there for 4 & 1/2 5 days and to the places i am going from orchard road should i buy it , also how much money top up should i do.

Thanks Winstery for recommending the Indian restaurant i surely check it out while i am there.

Please suggest some budget friendly, good options of Indian restaurants near Orchard Road too.

Thanks Sanjeev - I message you now and add those things in my list of activities :)

Now the itinerary I think 2 to 3 days out of the 4 & 1/2 day are fixed

Day 1 - Arriving at the Hotel in Orchard Road @ 2 PM i think this day we can go for Night Safari.

Day 1 (Half Day) - Night Safari - Do suggest how to get there by MRT / Bus from Orchard Road. Plus some Advise on DO's and Don't would be Gr8 :)

Now i have read some people saying these 2 below can be done in 1 Day , some saying 1 cannot / should not do these in 1 Day , donno which one will be true for us as we have an Infant 1-1/2 yr old but we will reach there early morning and try our best to do them in one as time does look like a constraint. But for now i have kept them apart.

Day 2 - Sentosa - Do suggest how to get there by MRT / Bus from Orchard Road. Plus some Advise on DO's and Don't would be Gr8 :)

Day 3 - USS - Do suggest how to get there by MRT / Bus from Orchard Road. Plus some Advise on DO's and Don't would be Gr8 :)

Now we have left with 2 or 3 Days depending on how we do (Sentosa and USS) so please give me options based on if we 2 Day left then do these & If we have 3 Days left then do these.

These I think are left

River Safari

Jurong Park

Singapore Zoo

Orchid /Botanical Gardens

Gardens by the Bay.

Marina Bay / Marina Sky park

Esplanade Theater

SEA Aquarium

Adventure Cove Water Park.

City Tour

Singapore Flyer

Songs of the Sea - Or some other show.

Thanks to All

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me Plan My 5 Days Trip to Singapore

^^ Also please do suggest how much Time will every one of these ^^Above^^ attractions take and which ones are close to each other so that I plan to visit them accordingly.

I too will read about them and find out more about them

Edited: 09 June 2013, 23:38
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
951 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me Plan My 5 Days Trip to Singapore

Hi bluebird, try to fit in river safari first day. as it is next to night safari..u will have to leave as soon as u arrive and get some 2 to 3 hrs in river safari..

There is free Shuttle from Concorde Hotel on orchard road,,you can use tht to get to Sentosa and USS..Passport and immigration paper required.

You have 1 and a half day left to cover the rest which is impossible. I would skip zoo and cover marina area, city tour, botanical garden and night show at marina bay..

last day u can viist Jurong bird park.

Sea aquarium u can combine with USS..

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me Plan My 5 Days Trip to Singapore

My dates are 29th - 3rd night, 4th Morning - Afternoon we will leave singapore

29th - Half Day Night Safari

30th - Some Attractions

1st and 2nd - USS & Sentosa

3rd - Some Attractions