We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit cards

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Credit cards

Hello

Can you please advise whether swipe credit cards are widely accepted in singapore (Hotels, shops, etc) or is it chip credit cards?

Thanks

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,808 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit cards

Both work fine at most places.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,364 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit cards

I only bought my swipe credit card during my last 2 travels to Singapore and I haven't encountered any shops that would not accept them.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit cards

Swipe was certainly still the standard method last year, with some CHIP/PIN beginning to make an appearance. That still seems to be the situation according to the residents who post here.

While these cards operate on swipe somewhere the conglomerate banking system will require the older cards to be processable or they will lose all the business to one of the other big ones. Even here in the UK where we went to CHIp and PIN years ago the terminals all have to recognise and react to a swipe only card with no active PIN because the cards exist and they have to take any current card....

4. Re: Credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 05:17