We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise for travel from Singapore to Malaysia

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Advise for travel from Singapore to Malaysia

Hello helpful friends :)

I have booked a trip to Singapore for 8 nights. Some might say this is too much for Singapore and I have been thinking about a night or two in Malaysia, but I am stuck on deciding where in Malaysia to go and if I should go via train or flight. I was thinking of going to KL but someone said it is too far via train (if I go via train). What other Malaysian cities are worth visiting (I don't want to travel too deep into Malaysia as my flight back into NZ will be from Singapore so don't want to waste a lot of time on the train/plane).

Any tips/ideas and suggestions will be much appreciated, including suggested areas to book hotels in KL depending on your suggestion for where I should go.

Thanks guys :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise for travel from Singapore to Malaysia

if u do not want to venture too far Malacca is a nice place for a pitstop.. a couple of days perhaps..

or if u like sea n beaches head to Bintan... only an hour away by ferry.. plenty of nice quiet resorts there...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
282 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise for travel from Singapore to Malaysia

It's pretty common question.

For people to answer, they probably need to answer what sort of places you like, what are you interested in experiencing :-)

KL is definitely not too far to travel by train if you have 8 days - IMO. Of course flight is quicker.

Malaysia is so close, it's easy.

Bintan suggestion is good one, Resorts/beaches. I did this recently - very enjoyable. Just double check what time of year you're going as maybe it's not available all year round.

I'd probably either go to Malacca from Singapore - can do it by bus.

Or fly to Penang. Less hustle/bustle KL. Plenty to entertain you for 2 or 3 days.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,326 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise for travel from Singapore to Malaysia

First up, anyone saying 8 nights in SIngapore is too long is ignoring how much is there - or hasnt liked it and is putting their personal slant on it rather than a more objective description. If asked 'How long' the normal answer here is 7-10days to get a good run at the city.

That may alter whether you want to leave. However for Malaysa - Malacca is nearby, Penang is possible with Histroic Georgetown quite nice for a trip, Bintan or Bataam for Indonesia on a ferry. Thing is, with short flights readily available there's alot within say 2-3hours travel by air...

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise for travel from Singapore to Malaysia

Thanks so much guys I really appreciate the input :) will definitely look into all of your suggestions this weekend- might even manage a couple of suggestions :) I have decided I will catch a flight to save on the travel time.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise for travel from Singapore to Malaysia

You can go malacca or KL! KL by flight will be an hour. KL by train 6 hours. KL by bus 4 hours. Malacca by bus 2 hours. I prefer KL to malacca though. KL is more city-like whereas malacca is more of a heritage kinda place. :)

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise for travel from Singapore to Malaysia

Thank you Minxx22 :) for telling me the times between different transport modes and also suggestion KL and Malacca to follow.

7. Re: Advise for travel from Singapore to Malaysia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 06:20