We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help!!! Grand Mercure or Nostalgia

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Please Help!!! Grand Mercure or Nostalgia

Hi All,

My husband and I am having 8 nights in Singapore for my 50th in early October and not having been there for a couple of decades I have no idea of where to stay etc! I've pretty much narrowed the accommodation to either the Grand Mercure Roxy or Hotel Nostalgia but just thought I'd ask the people who know for some of their wisdom, experience or local knowledge.

Thankyou in advance to any of you who take the time to respond to my question. ;0)

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,764 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help!!! Grand Mercure or Nostalgia

How did you manage to narrow your choice down to those 2? I wouldn't reccomend either of those 2 to anyone for an 8 night stay. If you must, go for the the Notalgia if you can put up with tiny rooms or 8 nights but at least it is in town.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help!!! Grand Mercure or Nostalgia

Hi jozeeg,

I'll echo Mankster. If you'll tell us you budget, we may be able to suggest a better alternative.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
19,348 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help!!! Grand Mercure or Nostalgia

Hello,

Yes, strange mix of hotels. Grand Mercure Roxy is a busy 3.5 star stopover hotel in the East Coast area, halfway between the airport and city - most people just stay the night and head back to the airport for their ongoing flight, and Nostalgia is a decent place in the suburb of Tiong Bahru, not close to any of the main tourist sights. Tiong Bahru is interesting for the Art Deco architecture of its apartment blocks and a few trendy cafes have opened up there, and the Foodcourt in the Market complex is good for a local meal. I went out to Tiong Bahru for about 5 hours to look around, not sure if I would spend 8 days staying there.

There are definitely better options in the city for an 8 day stay. What is your budget in SGD$ or Aust$ per room per night??

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
49,429 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help!!! Grand Mercure or Nostalgia

Neither of these two, FOR sure... both are not great choices in terms of location, room quality etc.

May you tell us your budget/ room night??? we can suggest a better option?!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help!!! Grand Mercure or Nostalgia

Thankyou all for your honest input, it's much appreciated! I'm looking at approx AUD$200 a night. I was looking at wotif as a guide on prices and then coming to trip advisor to read the reviews. Would an apartment be a better way to go?

thanks again, Jo

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,764 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help!!! Grand Mercure or Nostalgia

Apartments ate better for longer sats but they come at a premium. With you budget I would be looking to get a good 4 star centrally located proprty. Prices can vary hugely depending on where you book. With that budget I would be looking to get something like the Carlton, Grand Park City Hall, Residence at Sinapore Recreation Club or the Rendesvous Hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Help!!! Grand Mercure or Nostalgia

U can compare rate here:

http://www.asiatravel.com/singapore.html

===> Above Singapore Reputable hotel booking site

http://www.hotels.com/

http://www.hotelclub.com/

===> hotelclub have a Head office in Sydney, another good site to book too. There is a reward point for member in both site :D And those reward never fail me :D

Do also check Hotel own website, they have their own promotion sometime.

Cheers

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,348 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Help!!! Grand Mercure or Nostalgia

Hello,

AU$200 is a good budget for a 4 star hotel in a central spot.

Carlton Hotel (right beside Raffles Hotel in City Hall area)

Rendezvous Grand Hotel (great location within walking distance to 2 MRT Stations)

V Bencoolen Hotel (brand new hotel)

Grand Park City Hall Hotel (5 mins walk from City Hall MRT Station)

Holiday Inn Express Orchard (brand new hotel - not to be confused with Holiday Inn Orchard City Centre which is a bit more expensive)

Swissotel Merchant Court Hotel (popular choice connected to Clarke Quay MRT Station)

Dorsett Hotel (new hotel close to Outram Park MRT Station and good access to Chinatown area)

Royal Plaza on Scotts Hotel (on Scotts Rd just off Orchard Road, and 5 mins walk to Orchard MRT Station)

Village Hotel Albert Court (comfortable lower 4 star category hotel on the edge of Little India area)

Edited: 30 August 2013, 21:34
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,348 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Help!!! Grand Mercure or Nostalgia

Hi again,

If you are still in the comparing and booking process, maybe have a look at the Qantas website. I don't usually fly Qantas to Singapore, but in the last 2-3 years have gotten some great hotel prices for stays over 4 nts.

The other one I use all the time is Hotelclub, and as Me^Only said, their member discounts are very good once you sign up and start using them, I now get 7% off each booking and can use that to reduce the cost of my next booking.

www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/home/au/en

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
49,429 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please Help!!! Grand Mercure or Nostalgia

travelocity has a weekend promo sale with 15 % off:

travelocity.com/c/…