We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peninsula excelsior or Park Hotel?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Peninsula excelsior or Park Hotel?

Deciding between the 2 hotels above. The park hotel gets slightly better reviews and is a little bit more money. Are there plenty of choices for eating and shopping around both? I would like to have the option of having a shopping mall close by that also has 'take away' style eating.

1. Re: Peninsula excelsior or Park Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 September 2013, 16:05
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
21,655 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peninsula excelsior or Park Hotel?

Hello,

Peninsula Excelsior hotel is a slightly ageing hotel, and I am sure you have read the reviews. The unrenovated rooms aren't the best, but some have been done up so are better. The location is brilliant. Bus stops nearby, 5 minutes walk to City Hall MRT Station and Raffles City Shopping Centre. You can also walk down to the river in about 10 mins. It is next to Funan Digitalife Mall with lots of food options, and a small Supermarket underneath which is handy. When you say takeaway food options - do you mean western food? Funan Digitalife Mall (a popular older style mall ) has KFC, McDonalds, Subway, Coffee Club, QiJi (local food and drinks), a Foodcourt on the top floor, plus pasta places. on the link below, click on "Dine" to see the full list:-

www.funan.com.sg/malls/website/index.aspx

Raffles City Shopping Centre website:-

www.rafflescity.com.sg/

Never stayed at Park Hotel - which one do you mean - Park Hotel Orchard, or Park Hotel Clarke Quay??

Logan City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peninsula excelsior or Park Hotel?

Hi. Have stayed @ Park Hotel-Clark Quay. Very nice hotel,close to everything....shopping, attractions etc.Plenty of places for food etc....e.g. Seven 11 store across the road,also a shopping centre(can't remember the name,near by). Wouldn't worry too much about take-aways. You can have plenty of take-aways @ home. Singapore has so many other food options and are reasonably priced,try something new (lol).

Have booked to stay @ Penninsula Excelsior during January 2014 as a stop-over package with Singapore airlines on our way to Malaysia.Decided to stay @ a different hotel on this trip.

Have also stayed @ Carlton Hotel. Great hotel also.More a business hotel (lots of airlines air crew stay there,so a good recommendation) Raffles city mall across the road has some great eating places,very central to lots of places.

I also recommend the Singapore airlines stop-over packages which include airport transfers & lots of attractions.We ran out of time to use all the vouchers,so looking forward to seeing some more again this trip & also re-visit some that we really enjoyed.

Ragards, Luv to travel - Logan City, Qld, Aus.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peninsula excelsior or Park Hotel?

Thanks for replies. I didnt mean western takeaway - you're right these can ne eaten at home. As im only there for a stopover and I dont want too much hand luggage I only will jave essentials with me which probably wouldnt include 'eating out' clothes. I would like asian 'market style' food that doesnt involve restaurant dining.

I meant park hotel clarke quay.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 14:21
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
21,655 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peninsula excelsior or Park Hotel?

Hello again,

Glad you clarified the take aways - I thought it strange you would want stuff like KFC and Maccas when there is so much great local food around.

In both of the malls I mentioned there are foodcourts on the top floor. I really like "The Food Place" at the top of Raffles City Shopping centre. Nice atmosphere with heaps of stalls - everyone wanders around and chooses what they want - all cuisines - Chinese, Indian, Japanese, Korean, Malay favourites, plus drinks and fruits stalls.

I never really see too many people getting it as take-away. The majority of people just queue up, order then head to a table and enjoy!! Its not fancy. I usually sit amongst older couples, young workers on their lunch break, families. Its cheap SGD$3-5 a meal, quick, and so good. Another one I like is on a high floor of Marina Square Mall near the Esplanade. It has massive glass windows so you sit with a SGD$4 meal and overlook the harbour & Marina Bay Sands.

You might also want to head to hawker centres like Maxwell Road Food Centre near the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple in Chinatown, Makansutra Gluttons Bay stalls near the Esplanade, Smith Street/Boon Tat Street Satay stalls - order whatever satays you want, grab a drink and wander around.

There is a lot more information on food and drink in the links in the Top Questions section (on the right-hand side of this page).

I am sure you will have a great stopover. Enjoy.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peninsula excelsior or Park Hotel?

The asian style food courts is exactly what I had envisaged. I don't want to necessarily eat in my hotel room but also don't want to eat in restaurant. Thanks for the suggestions.

Are most of the food courts and shopping centers open late?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,401 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peninsula excelsior or Park Hotel?

Most are open till around 9pm, hawker centres often have stalls open till later. N town you have a choice of 24 hour dinning options.

8. Re: Peninsula excelsior or Park Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:20