We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day / night in Singapore

Saskatoon, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
1 day / night in Singapore

Hello,

Me and the girlfriend are landing in Singapore in late November and would love to check out the Singapore Zoo and go shopping. Wouild anyone know a good area that is close to the zoo to look for either a hotel or guest house. Are clothes cheap in Singapore or should I wait for Indonesia?

Thanks

Trevor

Maxwell Food Centre
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
ION Orchard
Observatories & Planetariums, Shopping Malls
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day / night in Singapore

The Singapore zoo is far away from the city centre. I would suggest staying in the city centre rather than near the zoo as there would be nothing else to do or see.

For clothes, shopping is generally cheaper in Indonesia unless you want to buy branded items eg. Louis Vuitton, Prada.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
23,059 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day / night in Singapore

Hello Trevor,

Yes, the Zoo is out in the middle of Singapore, visitors usually just get a taxi out there (about 20-30mins from the city), or use a mixture of MRT Underground Train and Public Bus which takes about an hour travelling.

What is your room budget per night in SGD$ ?

If you let us know we can help you narrow down a shortlist. In the meantime, have a look at these articles to get a picture of whats available in Singapore (Hotels or Hostels):-

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294262-c198411/Singa…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294262-c198409/Singa…

Saskatoon, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day / night in Singapore

Thanks for the quick response. We are taking the train to Kuala Lumpar after the zoo. I believe its the night train. Do you know how for that train station would be from the zoo?

Thanks again.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,869 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day / night in Singapore

<< Do you know how for that train station would be from the zoo?>>

http://gothere.sg/maps

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day / night in Singapore

I don't think it is a good idea to think of heading straight to the train station from the zoo as there isn't really a place to leave luggage at the zoo. You're better off finding a hotel then going back there after seeing the zoo to get your stuff and get to the train station. Not sure what time your train leaves but you may not have much time for shopping. So if all you want to do is the zoo, you could think about staying at Rochester Park near Holland Village. Not near the zoo, but nearer than a town hotel and will be cheaper too. Plenty to eat and even slight shopping around Rochester, the new malls near the MRT and Holland Village.

Clothing will be cheaper in Indonesia. In fact, just about everything will be cheaper there, food, massages, etc.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,540 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day / night in Singapore

Hi Trevor S,

Actually, I think it depends on where you intend to shop in Indonesia or you may find that clothes are not that cheap in Indonesia after all. I doubt you are going to the local markets to do your shopping. This is where you can find cheap clothing but then quality is not that good. If you shop in the city such as Jakarta, as you indicated in the Jakarta Forum that you intend doing Java overland, then you find prices are comparable to Singapore's, as I had discovered in my visits to Jakarta 2-3 times annually. The only reason I shop in Jakarta is because clothes by their local designers are not available in Singapore and thus there is less chance of bumping into another person wearing the same outfit at home. The same with Indonesians who arrive in the plane load and do their shopping in Singapore. It is because they can't get the same quality clothing back home. And buying branded stuff is more expensive there and what they get is not the latest collection.

My advice is not to get your shopping done in Jakarta but to wait until you get to the other smaller cities, perhaps even Bali. However, note that quality may not be good.

My $0.02.

7. Re: 1 day / night in Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 05:18