We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hop on hop off bus or public transportasion

Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
hop on hop off bus or public transportasion

I plan my first visit to singapore april next year. Which one is easier, save time and cheaper between use hoho bus or public transportasion? thanks in advance

Best Seller
Singapore Night Tour: Gardens By the...
332 reviews
from US$49.70*
Best Seller
Singapore Zoo with Transfer and...
1,732 reviews
from US$40.40*
5-Day Singapore City Pass with...
229 reviews
from US$124.20*
Best Seller
Singapore City Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
829 reviews
from US$32.00*
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hop on hop off bus or public transportasion

Public Transportation

U can use this site below to plan ur trip:

(Example of a Trip from Swissotel Merchant Court to zoo)

It gives U options like various Transport mode + the Cost + Time need to travel to reach:

By Bus Only / By Train + Bus / By Taxi / By Driving (Just click on each icon for details)

gothere.sg/…20zoo

Enjoy

Edited: 30 September 2013, 03:44
Singapore
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hop on hop off bus or public transportasion

Public transport is cheaper and probably saves you a bit of time, because hoho buses run on a timetable and the frequency is lesser than regular buses and trains.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hop on hop off bus or public transportasion

Hello, imo MRT and regular buses are the most cost effective options to move around Singapore. MRT is fast, cheap and doesn't depend on traffic.

Hop on Hop off buses are great if you want to take time to move around and watch Singapore. Keep in mind they their frequency and operating hours are less than public transports.

Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hop on hop off bus or public transportasion

Is there any additional charge if we hire taxi meter more than 1 person?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,546 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hop on hop off bus or public transportasion

The taxi is the same price regardless of number of passengers. So the taxi becomes more attractive, the more there are in you travel party.

Edited: 30 September 2013, 19:38
Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hop on hop off bus or public transportasion

There are additional charges for taxis:

1. For different times of different days:

2. Between or from locations (e.g. from the airport).

Those additional charges can be a bit steep.

http://www.taxisingapore.com/taxi-fare/

Regarding the OP, IMHO public transport (supplemented by taxis where/when appropriate by destination, group size, or time) is the go-everywhere basic system. They take you where YOU want to go, mostly by the route and schedule you want. The HOHO bus is a stylized thing, perhaps derivative of those in other cities. They take you where THEY want to take you, on a limited schedule.

Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: hop on hop off bus or public transportasion

I saw many bad comment for taxi service in singapore. Do you have tips to get taxi easier while you are in the street?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hop on hop off bus or public transportasion

"I saw many bad comment for taxi service in singapore"

===> First where did U saw that many bad comment?

===> Did U compare them from Where U came from?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,546 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hop on hop off bus or public transportasion

In town, you can only get a taxis from taxi ranks, they are not allowed to pick up passengers off the street.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hop on hop off bus or public transportasion

Really? What sort of bad comments, specifically. Taxis in Singapore are some of the best I've had round the world.

You do have to be aware of the regulations they operate under - there are certain areas that they cannot pick up from for instance, near bus stops, areas in the CDB that are not taxi ranks etc. I have seen tourists at bus stops get irate with taxis not stopping when they waved them down for example.

You also have to be aware of the fare system which is on the window of every taxi - there are some late night surcharges that would surprise someone not expecting them (the 50% after midnight IS genuine).

However I rarely have to wait any significant length of time for a taxi, they are safe and efficient compared to many many places including my hometown and even with surcharges compared to my country they are very cheap....other nations will of course vary on that.