We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera scam Orchard Road

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Camera scam Orchard Road

Hi there, I have recently returned from a trip to Singapore where I bought a new lens for my camera after falling for a bit of a scam. Basically I paid twice the price for a lens that I would have had I been in the UK.

I was given the big sales pitch, had a few extras thrown in like UV filter, lens hood and told it did everything my Canon stock lens did which turned out not the be the case. As it seemed such a good deal at the time I bought and the sales guy even took my stock lens off my hands as in his words it was now redundant!

Anyway I returned home and was upset to find I had been conned out of £150-200 pounds as I paid £308 for a lens worth half the value and gave up a lens worth approx £85 in the deal!

I am trying to get in touch with the store and have read similar reports about the store on Orchard Road online where similar experiences at the same store have been reported so wanted to warn visitors to be cautious.

The store name is DSG Camera and IT Centre, 321 Orchard Road.

If anyone had an email address or has had a similar experience please let me know. I don't want anyone else to get ripped off like I have been.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
19,348 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camera scam Orchard Road

Hello,

Sorry for your experience, but did you check out prices for the items at home before you left so you had a comparison to see if the deals in Singapore were good for the item you wanted? That way you have the figures in front of you and can see through the sales pitch. Sounds like you got caught up in the moment and just said yes to all the extras he offered and things he suggested.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camera scam Orchard Road

Yes I got caught up in the moment and should have checked the price and the spec but that does not change the fact that I was sold a sub standard lens a very inflated price. The lens did not have image stabilisation as I had been led to believe which would have made the price more in line with uk prices.

I just want to let others know about this store and sales practices so that others don't fall into the same trap.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camera scam Orchard Road

No scam here. He sold well, you didn't do your research.

Kolkata
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camera scam Orchard Road

Sorry to read about your experience. Which lens did you buy? And which one did you give up?

5. Re: Camera scam Orchard Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 06:18