We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Revised "leisurely itinerary" with your help

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Revised "leisurely itinerary" with your help

Here is the revised itinerary for Sally in Seattle and her recently retired DH. We arrive at 11:50 AM on Tuesday, Feb. 4. With the wonderful help from Mankster, huow, lifestyle78, minxbaby and many other contributors, we have the following plans. Please let me know if we are missing something or not doing things logically.

Thanks!

Thurs:

1. arrive and change money

2. take taxi to Fairmont and check in

3. After check-in, buy EZ link cards and take the MRT to Raffles Place station (1 station away from City hall). From there we may consider visiting the Asian Civilisations Museum to avoid the heat of the early afternoon. Then around the marina: Merlion park, Esplanade, etc. as we have the energy

4. Dinner at a hawker centre around the Marina Bay area (Gluttons Bay?)

5. Watch the light show from the plaza in front of the MBS mall or from wherever we are at the time

7. MRT back to Fairmont and crash

Fri:

Take MRT from Cityhall to Marina Square (Red line) and change to the Orange Line (circle line) towards Marina Bay.

1. Gardens by the bay

2. MBS

3. National Museum of Singapore

4. Chinatown/Little India

Sat:

1. Botanic Garden and Orchid Garden

2. River Safari

3. Night safari

Sun:

1. Sleep in from being at night safari

2. SEA Aquarium + walk around Sentosa. Food court at Sentosa

3. River cruise

4. Whatever we missed the other days

Monday, be at the airport 2hrs before flight time to check in for 09:20 flight to Manado, Indonesia, and snorkel vacation.

Sally in Seattle

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
21,420 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Revised "leisurely itinerary" with your help

Hello,

#3 - no need to go from city hall MRT station to Raffles place station to visit the Asian civilisations museum. Going to raffles place station would take you unnecessarily out of your way to the other side of the river. From the Fairmont hotel it's less than 10mins walk to the Raffles landing place statue and Asian civilisations museum, then from there 5 -10 mins to the Merlion. Or if you can't take the humidity while walking, grab a taxi from the Fairmont. If you google map directions you will see raffles place MRT is not your best option.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Revised "leisurely itinerary" with your help

Thank you for the clarification about the MRT stops. I am sure it will be clearer when we get there! Lift off is in 5 days--can't wait!

Sally

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
21,420 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Revised "leisurely itinerary" with your help

Hi Sally,

I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Make sure you pick up a city map with the MRT network shown on it, either at the airport or at your hotel. Then you will be all set to explore Singapore.

Have a great time, and I look forward to reading your reviews. You may even wish to write a JBR (just back report) and post it on the forum when you get home so we can all read about your experiences of Singapore.

Take care.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,794 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Revised "leisurely itinerary" with your help

City Hall is better for number 3 on the Thursday - and at the Fairmont you are sitting on top of that station. As well as being the right side of the river it is a pleasant walk past a number of landmarks - the civilian War Memorial, Old City Hall, the Padang, the Cenotaph, Victoria FOuntain, Lim Bo Seng memorial, Dalhousie Obelisk, etc etc on the way to the museum. The River Cruise fits here nicely as well.

On Friday - rather than MRT underground you could pretty easily walk to Gardens by the Bay - out of the hotel, across to the Explanade (underground in air con for that bit if you prefer) - then alonfthe Promenade and cross the Helix bridge which is a sight itself.

On the Saaturday - its a fullish day - take it slow. Do not tire yourself out and potentially make the Night Safari less of an experience. The Night Safari has a great deal of potential to be an excellent attraction but it is NOT a casual visit type attraction. You do have to put work in in terms of patience waiting for animals to appear, staying quiet and peering around in the dark. Tired and low on concentration makes that hard work. Equally, I have lost count the number of people I have seen thunder up to an enclosure and walk off 20seconds later muttering about how there's nothing in the exhibit to see.....al the while Im staring at a fishing cat that's been staring back at them. Remember that in my opinion its the walking trails that are the star of the show, the tram is a nice ride round the park and a chance to see some of the larger animals but the really good stuff you need to be walking and controlling the pace yourself - the Mangrove Walk exhibit, the Fisher Trail and if they jump the Giant Flying Squirrel cage are my personal favourites. The new artificial cave exhibit was half finished last time I went but was showing a great deal of promise as well.

5. Re: Revised "leisurely itinerary" with your help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 05:19