We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest area/district to stay in for restaurants, bars etc?

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, Rhode...
13 posts
Save Topic
Cheapest area/district to stay in for restaurants, bars etc?

Hi, I hope I can get some advice – I am travelling to Singapore in Oct and would like to know which area / district is cheapest to stay in for restaurants, bars etc, with easy daily access to Sentosa Island? I’d like to stay on Sentosa Island but have heard that food, drinks and so on are really expensive there, so I don’t think I want to stay there the whole time.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
49,443 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest area/district to stay in for restaurants, bars etc?

lloydy2000, hi

what`s your budget/ room/ night????

NOTE: SIN is a compact city where location is of small matter, but the depth of your pocket indeed COUNTS!!!!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest area/district to stay in for restaurants, bars etc?

It woul be easier to advise if you can indicate what is your budget for meal and drinks. Many of my fellow travellers will prefer to stay on mainland but if you are going to sped most of your time in Sentosa, staying in Sentosa is not an issue as you can walk over to Vivocity and Seah Im Food Centre for more variety in terms of choices and prices.

Bristol, Rhode...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest area/district to stay in for restaurants, bars etc?

Thanks for your comments. My accommodation budget is around 200 singapore dollars / 175 usd per night. But I am more concerned about the daily cost of food, drinks and getting around, I guess I have a meal budget of around 20 usd per person?

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
49,443 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest area/district to stay in for restaurants, bars etc?

1/ << 200 singapore dollars / 175 usd per night. >>

Peninsula Excelsior

Carlton City

Naumi Liora

Jayleen 1918

Soluxe Inn

The BIG

The Bliss

The Clover

Studio M etc

NOTE: at the end of booking any SIN hotel rate will gain 17.7% of tax and service charge.

2/ << I have a meal budget of around 20 usd per person?>>

Sufficient fro SIN, quire sufficient. Of course without alcohol cocktails and chocolate fountain. Bottles of Tiger and Anchor are this cheap at hawker centers and some Chinese restaurants - 4.00 - 7.20 SGD/ bottle. Bars charge double or triple this. Food in Singapore is one of the main highlights, with its famous hawker stalls all over the city preparing excellent and generous meals for a very low cost, in very sanitary conditions. Drinks can be a bit expensive by Asian standards, but happy hour bargains can be found.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest area/district to stay in for restaurants, bars etc?

Access to Sentosa is easy from any of the main hotel areas. Its a 10minute taxi ride (and 10SGD cost) from areas like City Hall/Marina Bay. Alternatively its 1.50SGD on the MRT which will take about 20mins or so to get you there from the same location (a bit longer if you have to wait at the line change|). Chinatown will be quicker if you walk to CHinatown MRT station as its on the purple line already.

Bristol, Rhode...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest area/district to stay in for restaurants, bars etc?

Nice one everyone, thanks for your help

Bristol, Rhode...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest area/district to stay in for restaurants, bars etc?

One last question, can you tell me what the prices for food and drink are like in the Harbourfront area please? Is it cheaper then Sentosa Island itself?

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest area/district to stay in for restaurants, bars etc?

Well you have Vivo city which has a decent Food Republic food court in it and the Kopitiam in the basement and so they are food court prices. Eat well for 10SGD is a not unreasonable statement there. Cheaper options around 5SGD a dish too.

Restaurants in Vivocity range the full scale anything from a bit more than a food court to whatever you want to spend. Sorry its a bit vague the range is so large its hard to say anything more specific.

While a lot of food on Sentosa is fairly pricey because its concession/park/junk food type places - the Malaysian Food Street and Koufu food court didn't look bad when I walked past and looked at the prices - though that was a while ago so it may have changed.

Bristol, Rhode...
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest area/district to stay in for restaurants, bars etc?

Nice one, thanks for your help

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
49,443 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest area/district to stay in for restaurants, bars etc?

very welcome......!!!