We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel location question

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel location question

Hi all, we have 4 nights and 5 days in Singapore in early September this year. There are so many choices for a small place. I initially leaned towards Carlton City hotel because of price and that it was close ish to China town as we both love Asian food/street food/local food ( I'm Taiwanese, wife is Kiwi/Romanian )

We don't want breakfast from the hotel so we can eat out at authentic local breakfast hawker centres.

Then I came across Pan Pacific Orchard, price is ok and have been told about it's great location for shopping, but is it good for dining options? Is the Orchard road location that much better than Carlton City? How bout any other hotels you recommend that has convenient location?

Any feed back will be much appreciated

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel location question

I think hotels around the City Hall area are the best located as you have a choice of MRT lines with many stations within walking distance, plenty of sights of interest to tourists within walking distance and plenty of interconnected malls as well if that's your thing. I can't think of anywhere that's not close to plenty of eating options, for sure you will never go hungry in Singapore.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
20,329 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel location question

Hello,

Plenty of good hotels close to public transport, food and shopping. And as the MRT is so fantastic it's easy to move around the city to various areas. Pan Pacific Orchard is tucked away behind orchard road, but it's right behind "Orchard Towers" which if you google it you can see it has somewhat of an unsavoury reputation. Inside the hotel and the rooms are very nice though. Carlton City Hotel is close to MRT station and within walking distance to a couple of Hawker Centres and Chinatown. Rooms are very nicely decorated.

Also look at these hotels -

Rendezvous Hotel

Grand Park City Hall Hotel

Holiday Inn Express Orchard

Holiday Inn Orchard City Centre

Swissotel Merchant Court

Parkroyal on Pickering

Dorsett Hotel

YMCA International House, One Orchard Road

Bliss Hotel

Naumi Liora Hotel

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,279 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel location question

.....to continue Avanti50`s list:

Peninsula Excelsior

Residence @ SRC

Park Regis

Novotel

Holiday Inn Express Clarke Quay

Parkhotel Clarke Quay

Studio M

Navi Mumbai, India
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel location question

Out of following please recommend which is a good hotel ?

Strand hotel

Big hotel

Holiday inn express Clark quay....

I'm looking mainly from the stay ( no construction nearby) & breakfast...

Please assist...

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
20,329 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel location question

Hello Kerwingm,

They are all good hotels in their own way, but very different from each other. You can read their reviews from recent guests by typing the hotels name into the search box at the top right side of this page.

Strand hotel is in a handy location, it's an older style hotel, quite comfortable and has large family rooms which can accommodate up to 7 people. There is construction very close because the new Underground train line is being built along Bencoolen Street.

Big Hotel is also well-located on Middle Road in the Bugis area. It's a former office building renovated into a trendy little hotel with stylish, but small rooms. They don't offer a traditional buffet breakfast, I think it's salads, sandwiches and tea/coffee. May not suit everyone.

Holiday Inn Express Clarke Quay. brand new, the hotel has just opened. They do include a light breakfast. I am not sure about construction in the area. Maybe other forum contributors may know.

Please read the hotels reviews and look at the photos taken by recent guests to get a better picture of what each hotel is like.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,279 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel location question

<<Holiday inn express Clark quay....>>

would be my pick - 100%.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel location question

Hi, thank for those suggestions, Park Regis seems nice but rooms are a bit small at 20sqm...

Are the views good from Orchard road so that staying on a higher floor is worth it? Any thoughts about the Swissotel Stamford?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel location question

Views from Swissotel Stamford are good and the location is convenient being right on top of Cityhall MRT Station and short walking distance to the colonial district. Rooms are fairly spacious but the decor are older though so it might not suit travellers finicky about such.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel location question

Swissotel Stamford is a great place to stay.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,954 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel location question

Don't forget, read the reviews!

tripadvisor.com.sg/Hotel_Review-g294265-d301…