We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name change on tickets for Singapore airlines

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Name change on tickets for Singapore airlines

Hi,

My travel agency has mixed our first and last names on the ticket. Lord only knows why he didn't find it strange that we all had the same first names!!! I obviously cannot fix this using Singapore Airlines website and need to go through the agent. No doubt there will be a fee involved. Any one have experience with this? Can they change the names on the ticket as it was an honest mistake. Everything is the same except for the order of the names. Any clue how much this would cost?

manila
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Name change on tickets for Singapore airlines

Have you tried asking the travel agency to remedy the situation?

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Name change on tickets for Singapore airlines

Change of name and cost depends entirely on the ticket type booked and hence the flexibility of the ticket.

If the agency has made the mistake, then its up them (in my opinion) to sort it out - though any significant delay or rounds of paperwork where the mistake was present but you didn't contact them to point out the mistake may give them leverage to pass the buck.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 14:52
Australia
Level Contributor
393 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Name change on tickets for Singapore airlines

Completely agree with above.

There's no reason why you can't contact the airline directly, you should have the booking number. Though if you're booking through an agent and they stuffed up, they should fix it. Have you not already queried this with the agent?

As said above it is your responsibility to verify all details are correct, and if not, to notify them of errors immediately.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,806 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Name change on tickets for Singapore airlines

Joshiverella, hi

Three times ( stupid) travel agent messed up with my tickets.... three different agents to be exact. First two times , it was thoughtfully covered by the agent WHO did a mistake, the last time changes were not allowed by the ticket rules and conditions... lesson learned.

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Name change on tickets for Singapore airlines

So both the TA and Singapore Airlines here in Hanoi said that for as long as the spelling is correct, it doesn't matter the order of the names. That doesn't sound right to me! So my ticket reads FIRST NAME/MIDDLE NAME, LAST NAME when it should be LAST NAME/FIRST NAME, MIDDLE NAME.

they insist that it should be fine. What to do??? It doesn't feel right.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Name change on tickets for Singapore airlines

Get the statement from the Travel Agent and Singapore Airlines in writing so that if there are problems you can back it up with a relevant citation.

SIA saying it gives me more confidence that they will accept it and it probably stems from the fact that not all languages record family and personal names in the same order so when you phrase things as First/Last names rather than Personal/Family you may get things input in the reverse format to expected dependant upon the way a given traveller or their agent fills the form in or perceives the question. There have been comments to that extent on forums that I have seen.

Ask on the Air Travel specific forum on TA and see how many people have encountered this before and their outcome - make sure you have a statement that covers you from the airline. At that point I would still be nervous as it is not the way round I am used to so I understand that, but if I had relevant assurances from the airline that this is not an issue and had that in writing from them as ammunition at the point of check in then I would expect and require them to stick to their statement or sort things out.

Edited: 23 May 2014, 08:10
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Name change on tickets for Singapore airlines

In some cultures, the surnames are written first while in other cultures, they are written last. I have heard before the order does not matter on the fligt ticket as long as the names appear on your passport.

Edited: 23 May 2014, 11:51
Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,806 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Name change on tickets for Singapore airlines

One of the unfortunate experiences that i mentioned in post # 4 was EXACTLY the same; stupid travel agent mixed my first name in the ticket with my last name. The tickets were re-issued against the fee, in that case the AIRLINE ( LH) kicked the a...ss of the agent and it was literally done without my intervention. The agent paid the penalty for her stupidity and mistake.

But you have to notify the airline and the agent too.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,806 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Name change on tickets for Singapore airlines

On the last time though my tickets ` rules did not allow any change and the airline (QR) issued the WHOLE document how to read my tickets properly and they did the amendment in my booking reference too. In that case the airline agreed to consider the mistake in the ticket as insignificant etc. But once again you have to present the matter to the airline and to your ( stupid) agent too.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Name change on tickets for Singapore airlines

Similar issues here:

…stackexchange.com/questions/16644/am-i-goin…

flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileagep…