We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location, location, location

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Location, location, location

Specific location recommendation required for a 3 night stay in Singapore where I can walk out of my hotel reception any time of the day or night and be amongst tourists and locals alike without the need to jump in a taxi or MRT. My preference would be for restaurants, cafes, dessert places to be on my door step. Of course I do and will plan to venture further than that but it's also nice to be at the centre if at all possible especially since we are travelling with two young children and therefore if I feel like taking a walk, there is some life and things going on as I just take a walk around the block at 11pm. We will be staying over a weekend so that should be possible I hope..I'm a foodie as well and so to the extent that there are great street food places around that would be an added bonus albeit I don't mind travelling for the right food/dishes..

On a previous trip to Singapore (15 years ago!), we stayed at the Marriott on Orchard Rd and I remember that being well located but I'm not sure if that was a bit too shopping orientated rather than restaurant/cafe culture which would be the preference. I do remember there being a Haagan Dazs cafe right outside the hotel which was great...

This time around we will stay at a 5 star hotel fortunately - thinking Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, Fullerton Bay, Shangri La - but on a quick check, none of these seem to fit my location bill exactly. I have also heard about the new Sofitel (mixed reviews on service) and the Park Royal on Pickering but don;t know how these score on location. I'm also conscious that we didn't really do the Marina area last time and so don't know if I'm missing out or whether I should give that area a go this time around and whether it also fits my bill...

Would love some specific responses to my query firstly focused on the location (and if possible pin pointed to a specific place within an area i.e. if Orchard Road, whereabouts would fit my bill as I remember it being a long road). And secondly which 5 star deluxe hotel or other hotel gets me closest to that location.

Sorry for the long post and also revisiting a oft quoted subject but hopefully some of the destination experts will have some suitable responses on this.

Thanks all in advance!

Maxwell Food Centre
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
ION Orchard
Observatories & Planetariums, Shopping Malls
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
22,334 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location, location, location

Hello,

I would recommend these -

Intercontinental hotel - attached to Bugis Junction Mall and you can access Bugis MRT. Plenty of food options. Easy access to the sights. Close to Kampong Glam and Arab street area.

Pan Pacific Hotel - Marina Bay Area

Fairmont Hotel or Swissotel the Stamford. Couple of mins walk to Raffles hotel. Hotels are Connected to Raffles City Shopping Mall which is atop City Hall MRT station. You can walk right through City Link Mall to Marina Square Mall and the esplanade/Marina area. Food everywhere. Hotels are close to Chijmes which is a dining and entertainment venue.

Carlton hotel. Bras Basah road. Premier wing rooms. Hotel is next to Raffles hotel and across the road from Chijmes and Raffles City Shopping centre mentioned above. You walk outside any of these city hall hotels and everything is right there if you wish.

Naumi Hotel, Seah street. Luxury boutique hotel. Seah street is beside Raffles Hotel.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location, location, location

hi, would also second City Hall, Bugis and Marina Bay should fit your requirements.

City Hall: Raffles, Swissotel Stamford, Fairmont.

Bugis: Intercontinental

Marina Bay: Marina Bay Sands, Fullterton Fullerton Bayview, Ritz-Carlton, Pan Paficic.

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Location, location, location

Sounds like my default Orchard Rd option has been put right and that the hotels I was looking at weren't quite right for me on the location front - thank you both for your responses. Is there much difference between location of the Pan Pacific vs Fullerton Bay location wise? As a hotel, the physical plant of Fullerton Bay does look impressive - I've just heard mixed things about the service. My decision between the two might come down to location so it would be good to know which one of the two fulfils my requirements or if the difference is only marginal.

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Location, location, location

Thanks both for your responses - does anyone else have any suggestions/inputs that might also be useful?

5. Re: Location, location, location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 20:22
6. Re: Location, location, location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:16