We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore - any tips for Furama Riverfront area?

Ringwood, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore - any tips for Furama Riverfront area?

I am going to Singapore at the end of the month and will be spending a couple of days there on my way to Oz and on the way back. Any tips on places to eat nearby - not hotels - hope to try the local food. I want to go to the Night Safari - what time does it start? - and when does it get dark? Will there be rain at this time of year? Any ideas on things to do are welcome. I am travelling on my own. Aso can anybody reccomend a good place for a manicure and pedicure and rough price. Thanks. Susan

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore - any tips for Furama Riverfront area?

Hi Susan,

The Night Safari opens its doors from 6:00pm and the last admission will be at 11:00pm.

Not much rain these days ... except the occasional showers which hardly last for more than an hour. But bring a brolly and perhaps some insect repellant for your night adventure to the Safari.

Night starts to fall at about 7:00pm - 7:30pm. You can still see bright and clear at 6:00pm. ;-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore - any tips for Furama Riverfront area?

Hi again Susan,

Re: Local Foods

The Furama Riverfront is just some distance away from the very well-known Maxwell Food Centre. Some of the most popular foods there are its Hum Jin Pang (Chinese doughnuts), porridge at Hoe Kee, the Oyster Cake at Maxwell Fuzhou Oyster Cake stall where coriander leaves, minced pork, prawns and oysters are deep fried in a batter and also its Chicken Rice at Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice Stall where long queues are the norm.

If you've got a sweet tooth, check out the Red Bean Soup at Stall 57, the Tapioca Cake or Ondeh Ondeh (Xing Xing's) or the Pandan Pan Cake (Min Jiang Kueh) at at the last row of Maxwell food centre near MND building ... sorry can't remember the name now.

You're also quite close (in fact, closer) to the also popular but less famous Tiong Bahru Market where they serve up some rather good food as well. There's its Wonton Mee, Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice, Lor Mee (with shark's meat fritters!), Shui Kueh (steamed rice cup cakes with preserved vegetables on top ... really good!) etc. perhaps just about a 10-min walk from your hotel.

If you head in a south-west direction, you'll chance upon Chinatown Complex Food Centre - another heavenly place for you to tempt your tastebuds.

You see ;-P ... You are really in no shortage of local foods here!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore - any tips for Furama Riverfront area?

Re: Manicure & Pedicure.

Voxy at Bugis Parco is rather popular with trendsetters and the sophisticated woman. They use Voxy Nail Colours and charge about S$20 for a manicure and S$40 for a pedicure.

The younger crowd tend to prefer Hollywood Secrets at Paragon Shopping Centre for their nail treat. In the same price range as Voxy, but maybe a little cheaper?

4. Re: Singapore - any tips for Furama Riverfront area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 09:23