We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tap water?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
17,946 posts
26 reviews
184 helpful votes
Tap water?

Hi, am in Singapore now. I had thought one could drink tap water but the hotel staff keep saying "Singapore water is very safe but it is preferable you drink bottled water. One said something aboit "pipes."

Anyway, I got water at the 7-11 but am wondering about toothbrushing, etc.?

Thanks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
73 reviews
50 helpful votes
1. Re: Tap water?

I have never used bottled water for brushing teeth in Singapore, always have used the bathroom tap. Are you staying in a very old hotel if the staff are worried about the pipes?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
17,946 posts
26 reviews
184 helpful votes
2. Re: Tap water?

Grand Hyatt?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
354 posts
71 reviews
47 helpful votes
3. Re: Tap water?

No worries since you are staying at Grand Hyatt. I drink straight from the tap since my teen days.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
17,946 posts
26 reviews
184 helpful votes
4. Re: Tap water?

Thanks!

Singapore
Level Contributor
811 posts
91 reviews
35 helpful votes
5. Re: Tap water?

If Singapore tap water is not drinkable then you can't find drinkable water anywhere in the world already.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
375 reviews
126 helpful votes
6. Re: Tap water?

I agree with Raymond_Leong_75, Singapore's tap water is complying to WHO standard

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Tap water?

Singapore drinking water is way above the WHO standard. So... let you mind at peace. Perhaps, some local would advice that you drink boiled water, for whatever reasons.

Even my wife don't advice my kids to drink from the tap... all sorts of reasons, whatever may be. Anyway, I hardly drink boiled water at home. just pop from the tap onto my cup and into my mouth. Been like that since I was young.

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
362 reviews
313 helpful votes
8. Re: Tap water?

Personally, I'd listen to the advice of the hotel staff. Perhaps they're aware of problems unknown to us on the forum. Hotels store water quite often, so the water in taps may not be as clean as when it reached the hotel.

Compared to the cost of the trip, the cost of bottled water is insignificant. However I wouldn't worry about cleaning your teeth with tap water! The quantity involved is too small to be an issue.

I always drink tap water in Singapore, however our hotel does supply free bottled water, which my wife prefers to drink.

Incidentally, always remember local people can drink water that might make you ill. In the early days of the Internet, an Indian said he'd been drinking the tap water all his life without problems. Several immediately responded that it was OK for him because he'd been drinking it all his life, and was used to its bacteria!

Despite that remark, I do stress that Singapore tap water is about the safest in the world.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
17,946 posts
26 reviews
184 helpful votes
9. Re: Tap water?

Drank the bottled water I got; the hotel was quite generous also. Maybe they have their reasons. In any case, we enjoyed our stay! Thanks everyone.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
73 reviews
50 helpful votes
10. Re: Tap water?

In a country where tap water is perfectly safe to drink, I think we all need to reduce plastic bottle use. I've often wondered if hotels in Singapore and other countries have recycling programs or does everything from your waste bin in your hotel room gets dumped in general waste?

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.